• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why can't we just move Chinn to ILB next to Shaq and be done with it?

3 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Forgive me if my NFL jargon isn't super versed, I ain't no pro...

But from what I gather, we're about to see a lot more Cover 1 & Cover 4 Shell concepts.  So, I think it's really silly to say Chinn doesn't have a role when he's going to be one of the integral cogs along with Luvu.  I get not seeing the YGM fit, but to say Chinn doesn't have a role and may need to be traded just doesn't make sense to me.  

image.thumb.png.1bdb240dba741e0a01a50a72e7d36e56.png

Chinn is playing up towards the line at either NB or that strong side LB spot to match TEs, opponent dependent.  Frankie can play at either that LB spot or potentially be the OLB opposite Burns (he played a similar role in college).  It's very fluid because these looks are all about disguises, which is the key component to these defenses! Which is why Luvu and Chinn honestly make a ton of sense for what's coming into town.

We have our Fangio 2-Deep safeties in house (Woods, Bell), 2 primary LBs (Shaq, Luvu), we have our "Star"/NB here (Chinn) a package dependent role, standing strong side rusher in Burns.  

So, then even when the cover 4 shell concepts come to play, he fits in just fine next to Shaq & Luvu.  

image.thumb.png.5c8bc8559edf8bafb99554f3866208dc.png

And 2-High Safety Nickel Packages: 

2 outside CBs, 1 NB, 2 standing edge defenders, 2 in the middle, 2 LBs.   Chinn is made for the nickel spot in this defense. 

image.thumb.png.ac4811228a7ca6ec5ad68e3921d95423.png

What they keep talking about is setting the edge because you having the two standing edge rushers.  If one is Burns, the other needs to be able to hold the edge.  That's the guy they're looking for (!!) and hope they found in DJJ.  When it's Haynes and Burns and an offense double/triple teams Brown, we could get run over.

The question mark I see is the base 3-4, which for Evero & before Chubb was shipped, the EDGE defenders were Browning (6'3 240) and Chubb (6'4 275).  Below could be considered base, not a lot of snaps ~20-30%/gm, opponent dependent.

I think it's valid to ask where is Chinn below--if he can play coverage LB and Luvu can go at OLB (like he's done before), then it can make sense and I see no issue with both getting 92% plus snaps this year. 

Overall, I'm pretty sure Evero has a plan.  It's also not like Chinn isn't at all capable of safety.   He could play the robber role and have the disguised box-encroaching safety looks.  So it's not like he's necessarily playing deep when he's at SS.  And with Bell (who can play both safety spots), could thrive if there's some times where we're sitting Woods.  Which I don't think is the end of the world, it's not like he's necessarily untouchable either.        

image.thumb.png.72067369820fc4e63565af4ee7b4f657.png

source: https://theathletic.com/3311028/2022/05/24/vic-fangio-defense-analysis/

This is good, the problem still comes when the player or their agent gets pissed that their client doesn't have their name on the starting depth chart despite being one of their best players on defense.

Shaq is already undersized enough at ILB. Chinn would just get steamrolled trying to stop runs up the gut.

Chinn is best in space, not near the trenches. I would imagine we will run some big nickel defenses in obvious passing downs or with certain personnel for the other team, which will allow Chinn freedom to play in space.

8 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Hes too valuable to me to be a backup and only coming in on special packages, thats why I think he should be traded somewhere he can start at SS or 4-3 OLB. However, if hes fine with that, then nice. We just have a great special package player.

It's not really a special package anymore. teams use the nickel more than base 3-4 these days. Our most common formation will probably be Burns - Luvu - Shaq, and then Chinn will play at big nickel instead of having another LB on the field.

Then we'll rotate in Barno for him on some blitzing down, and YGM/Johnson in run defense packages.

4 minutes ago, rodeo said:

It's not really a special package anymore. A lot of teams use the nickel more than base 3-4 these days. Our most common formation will probably be Burns - Luvu - Shaq, and then Chinn will play at big nickel instead of having another LB on the field.

Then we'll rotate in Barno for him on some blitzing down, and YGM/Johnson in run defense packages.

More likely barno would rotate in for Luvu (or shaq) in that package. Luvu the set the edge OLB vs barno the qb pressure OLB

really curious what Evero has in mind for Barno and Brandon Smith. Judging by the draft and UDFA we're good on the slimmer speed guys, obviously put an emphasis on rotational edge setters. Wherever these guys are technically listed position and order wise I think we're going to do a ton of rotations

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

really curious what Evero has in mind for Barno and Brandon Smith. Judging by the draft and UDFA we're good on the slimmer speed guys, obviously put an emphasis on rotational edge setters. Wherever these guys are technically listed position and order wise I think we're going to do a ton of rotations

I really want Brandon Smith to work out at MLB. 

• Beer 2

All I know is Evero is licking his chops having a freak of a defensive guy like Chinn.  It has been said already in thread but expect Chinn to literally be all over the field this year.

So excited to see Chinn finally with a real DC guiding his career unlike Phil freaking Snow.....

Fwiw Al Snow>>>>>Phil snow 

9 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Everyone is way overthinking things

Chinn is a freaking playmaker and an athletic freak, if you don't think the coaching staff has a plan in place for how they're going to use him, you're fooling yourself.

He might not get an explicitly named position that he stays at, but he's going to be on the field for almost every defensive snap unless he needs a breather.  He took snaps at darn near every position on defense in the past few years, not out of necessity, but because he can.

He's going to be used differently week to week and even play to play, he can rush the passer, he can play the run, he can cover the TE, can cover many WRs as well.  Having him on the field will help keep offenses guessing as to what he's doing on any given play, and subsequently, what the rest of the defense is doing.

Teams won't know if he's rushing the passer or dropping into coverage on any given play, he's going to be very hard to account for pre-snap.

Best response I've seen.  Not having Chinn on the field 95% of the time would be asinine.  I'm confident this staff is not asinine.

Fitterer was on the Kyle Bailey show talking about DJ Johnson as an “outside backer” and not a 5-technique…which I thought might be his role. So it certainly seems like they see our LBs as Burns, Luuvu, Shaq, and a combo of Johnson, Haynes and maybe Barno? So Chinn isn’t moving to linebacker. I suspect they trade him after getting a look at Vonn Bell, Woods, and Robinson. I don’t know why you sign Bell and draft Robinson if you have 100% conviction with Chinn. 

4 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Fitterer was on the Kyle Bailey show talking about DJ Johnson as an “outside backer” and not a 5-technique…which I thought might be his role. So it certainly seems like they see our LBs as Burns, Luuvu, Shaq, and a combo of Johnson, Haynes and maybe Barno? So Chinn isn’t moving to linebacker. I suspect they trade him after getting a look at Vonn Bell, Woods, and Robinson. I don’t know why you sign Bell and draft Robinson if you have 100% conviction with Chinn. 

No, if we were trading Chinn, it would have been before or during the draft as we'd have been able to get a useful pick in a draft that we were lacking them.

And seeing as he's going into the last year of his contract, they clearly have a plan to use him extensively this year and will want to re-sign him, or else he'd have been traded already instead of just losing him after the season.

In most years it wouldn't be a problem to let him play out the contract as we'd get a compensatory pick for him, but not next year.  We're going to have a poo ton of cap room next year and will absolutely be signing a top dollar free agent or two, and thus eliminate any good compensatory pick we'd get for Chinn if he were to walk.

3 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

No, if we were trading Chinn, it would have been before or during the draft as we'd have been able to get a useful pick in a draft that we were lacking them.

And seeing as he's going into the last year of his contract, they clearly have a plan to use him extensively this year and will want to re-sign him, or else he'd have been traded already instead of just losing him after the season.

In most years it wouldn't be a problem to let him play out the contract as we'd get a compensatory pick for him, but not next year.  We're going to have a poo ton of cap room next year and will absolutely be signing a top dollar free agent or two, and thus eliminate any good compensatory pick we'd get for Chinn if he were to walk.

A good chunk of that is going to Burns.

We will most likely go big fishing for a #1 WR hopefully Tee Higgins. After Burns/Higgins we won't have as much space as people think. Which is fine because this team is pretty well built we only missing a few holes.