• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Training Camp Day 1

Jackie Lee

22 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Am I the only one not totally impressed with this play from Bryce's standpoint?

Great catch by Chark for sure, but this is not a completion in an actual game, if anything, Bryce might have just gotten Chark killed on this play.  The DB clearly pulled up there seeing as this is the first day of training camp, if this is a game, he's blowing up the WR there.

Was more of a medicine ball than a well placed pass

maybe you should be following some sort of flag football league

24 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Great catch by Chark for sure, but this is not a completion in an actual game, if anything, Bryce might have just gotten Chark killed on this play.  The DB clearly pulled up there seeing as this is the first day of training camp, if this is a game, he's blowing up the WR there.

Bro what? We haven't seen a pass that good since Cam.

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Lol what are you even watching

4 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

In what way did I say anything remotely like that?

Everyone is praising his placement of that ball, but the placement of the ball was actually very dangerous and in a real game would have more likely resulted in an injury to Chark than a completed pass.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but I just don't see the same thing when I look at that play that everyone else does.

If that DB isn't there and the only DB in that play is the one trailing Chark, then yea, it's an outstanding pass.  But that wasn't the case, looks to me like he just never saw that other DB there or else he wouldn't have thrown that pass.

I agree with you on this. I’m sure the coaches and everybody on the field, including Bryce, know. It may not be that Bryce didn’t see the db, maybe he just thought he couldn’t get there. He would have arrived just as the ball did so it could just be misjudging that split second difference. It takes time for rookies to fully adjust to the physical and speed difference of the NFL vs college.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Lol what are you even watching

2086787748_ScreenShot2023-07-26at3_31_50PM.jpg.3f5d4f624c8a6a39e04fcb0ab0143dea.jpg

I'm watching this, that's the ball in the circle and the DB is already pulling up here because he's not going to break his own teammate in half on the first day of training camp.

The pass itself is a nicely thrown ball, but everyone praising the ball placement makes zero sense to me as the placement would have lead to Chark likely getting injured if this was a game, which in turns means it's actually terrible ball placement.

Guys, we're Panthers fans, but it doesn't mean we have to look at everything Panthers related as "the best thing ever" and not be able to look at things objectively.

I think Bryce is going to be great for us (as long as he stays healthy), but I just don't think THIS play is something to go all gaga over, particularly if you're using it to praise his ball placement.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 8

I mean the defender did pull up.  But I think that was because he couldn't make a play on it when he got there.  He was sort of drifting in and the ball placement went the other direction on him when he got there.    

I don't know if Young saw him. But I think the trailing DB didn't have an angle to light Chark up or break it up when got to the spot he thought he needed to get to IMO  

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

2086787748_ScreenShot2023-07-26at3_31_50PM.jpg.3f5d4f624c8a6a39e04fcb0ab0143dea.jpg

I'm watching this, that's the ball in the circle and the DB is already pulling up here because he's not going to break his own teammate in half on the first day of training camp.

The pass itself is a nicely thrown ball, but everyone praising the ball placement makes zero sense to me as the placement would have lead to Chark likely getting injured if this was a game, which in turns means it's actually terrible ball placement.

Guys, we're Panthers fans, but it doesn't mean we have to look at everything Panthers related as "the best thing ever" and not be able to look at things objectively.

I think Bryce is going to be great for us (as long as he stays healthy), but I just don't think THIS play is something to go all gaga over, particularly if you're using it to praise his ball placement.

If Chark gets hit while he’s going to catch the ball it’s a flag in todays NFL. He also lost the ball and by the time it landed it was too late to do anything.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 5

6 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I agree with you on this. I’m sure the coaches and everybody on the field, including Bryce, know. It may not be that Bryce didn’t see the db, maybe he just thought he couldn’t get there. He would have arrived just as the ball did so it could just be misjudging that split second difference. It takes time for rookies to fully adjust to the physical and speed difference of the NFL vs college.

Peyton manning said in a recent interview I read about his rookie season was that he just tried any and everything in practice and in games to see what worked and what didnt and what he could do physically and what he couldnt.   He obviously set the int record but his soph season was balls out

4 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I think Bryce is going to be great for us (as long as he stays healthy), but I just don't think THIS play is something to go all gaga over.

It doesn’t look like that DB saw the ball so I doubt it’s a pick in a game.

It would most likely be a broken up pass or a PI if the DB makes contact too early.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I mean the defender did pull up.  But I think that was because he couldn't make a play on it when he got there.  He was sort of drifting in and the ball placement went the other direction on him when he got there.    

I don't know if Young saw him. But I think the trailing DB didn't have an angle to light Chark up or break it up when got to the spot he thought he needed to get to IMO  

Yea, he couldn't make a play on the ball, but he absolutely could have made a play on Chark if it was a game.

But no DB is trying to make that play in any practice as they're not going to risk injury to their own teammate just to try and make a tough play to look good themselves, let alone the first day of camp.

I think there will be more than enough things to praise Bryce about from even today, let alone the rest of camp.  I just don't think this play is one of them given what likely would have happened if that same pass with the same coverage was thrown during a live game.

That's all, not bashing Bryce or his potential in the slightest.

1 minute ago, therealmjl said:

If Chark gets hit while he’s going to catch the ball it’s a flag in todays NFL.

Woods pulling up there is because he’s seasoned to do so and would do the same in a game.

That's exactly what I was about to post.  You can't lay out a defenseless WR anymore.  Take another 15 yards plus possible throwing the safety out of the game plus a fine if he does lay out Chark in a game there.  It's hard to tell if he was locating the ball or letting up.  Regardless the placement was perfect as Chark didn't have to break stride.  Maybe the decision could be debated if the WR gets laid out but placement was great.

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

kyle allen had that one but thats about it, I think it was against houston

Incredibly (in a bad way), that like 4 or 5 game stretch from Allen to start the season is the best QB play we've had since a healthy Cam. Not sure what happened to Allen down the stretch that year but the wheels really came off lol. Thank god we finally got aggressive to get Bryce.