• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yannick Ngakoue

Puresteel55

9 hours ago, GOAT said:

Bears slowly becoming one of my most hated teams

Despite Ngakoue’s steadiness at piling up sacks, his lack of overall impact as a pass rusher and inconsistency as a run stopper were likely the reasons the Colts did not seek to retain him in free agency.

Ngakoue, drafted in the third round of the 2016 NFL Draft by Jacksonville, has played for the Jaguars, Vikings, Ravens, Raiders and Colts. He earned a Pro Bowl spot in 2017.

https://theathletic.com/4748074/2023/08/03/yannick-ngakoue-bears-contract/

He has played for a bunch of teams.  Seems like a red flag.  Also not sure we need to add someone who is not good in the run game.  As someone said...Reich knows him.  There is a reason the Panthers passed.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Despite Ngakoue’s steadiness at piling up sacks, his lack of overall impact as a pass rusher and inconsistency as a run stopper were likely the reasons the Colts did not seek to retain him in free agency.

Ngakoue, drafted in the third round of the 2016 NFL Draft by Jacksonville, has played for the Jaguars, Vikings, Ravens, Raiders and Colts. He earned a Pro Bowl spot in 2017.

https://theathletic.com/4748074/2023/08/03/yannick-ngakoue-bears-contract/

He has played for a bunch of teams.  Seems like a red flag.  Also not sure we need to add someone who is not good in the run game.  As someone said...Reich knows him.  There is a reason the Panthers passed.

As much hopefulness we can have with the new coaches and Young, I’m glad we aren’t signing guys like this. We spent like drunken sailors since Rhule started and frankly, wasted it on teams that were never going to compete for a championship. Mayfield, Darnold and Teddy will never win a SB as a real starter, not a one game injury replacement.

I’m excited about Young, been wanting a top rookie since Cam, but I know we aren’t at the KC, Philly, Buffalo, Bengal, SF (with a real QB), etc. level yet. There’s nothing wrong with saying that after 29 wins in 5 years. We have plenty of holes and Yannick isn’t adding enough to spend $10M we can rollover to use in Young year 2/3.

• Pie 1

Exactly. Panthers won't become a true contender without developing their own draft picks. Listen to Evero and read about the Fangio, Staley, Evero gap and a half scheme. It's not a fit if he's not a willing run defender. And Reich knows. Not at all upset he signed elsewhere. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I didn't realize to what extent that Reich was already familiar with Ngakwoue. I mean, I always knew that Ngakwoue wasn't an A-lister & somewhat of a disappointment, but I believed that maybe he needed a new start. I didn't know that he had so many. I won't argue against Reich and company on this one. They were probably right. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I didn't realize to what extent that Reich was already familiar with Ngakwoue. I mean, I always knew that Ngakwoue wasn't an A-lister & somewhat of a disappointment, but I believed that maybe he needed a new start. I didn't know that he had so many. I won't argue against Reich and company on this one. They were probably right. 

yeah 10 mil this late is insanity. Either Clowney at $5 mil or we ride with roster cut downs.

On 8/4/2023 at 11:40 AM, top dawg said:

One early red flag was his stint with the Vikings.  They traded a 2nd rounder to acquire him.  He had 5 sacks in 6 games and they traded him to the Ravens for less than they spent to acquire him.

The Ravens were trying to acquire Yannick from the Jags but got outbid by the Vikings.  After half of a season of the Yannick experience, neither the Vikings or Ravens wanted anything to do with him.  That's when he signed a free agent deal with the Raiders.  Here is where it gets interesting.  The Jags HC was Gus Bradley when Yannick was drafted.  Gus Bradley was the Raiders DC when they signed Yannick in free agency.  After a year the Raiders traded Yannick to the Colts.  The Colts had just signed Gus Bradley to be their DC.  So 3 of his stops involved Gus Bradley.  That reminds me of when Pat Shurmur kept extending a lifeline to Sam Bradford.

The strange part about Yannick is he doesn't have a high win rate as a pass rusher.  A majority of his sacks are coverage sacks, missed assignments and cleanup sacks.  But since he is able to string together enough of them each season, fans think he is a good pass rusher and the fact that he is a liability against the run shouldn't matter.  I think one fan said it best that Yannick shows up for 15 plays per season and worthless for the other 700 snaps.

• Beer 1