• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So Ian Thomas…

TheCasillas

4 hours ago, Basbear said:

rough crowd...

not everyone needs to be the best, ian has a role and its disappointing me ....

Replacing him is very simple and very cheap. You can get dozens of guys every offseason that are capable of reproducing his results that are cheaper.

Sure he passes the look test and his RAS was nasty. But that don't mean poo if you can't do it on Sunday's.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Replacing him is very simple and very cheap. You can get dozens of guys every offseason that are capable of reproducing his results that are cheaper.

Sure he passes the look test and his RAS was nasty. But that don't mean poo if you can't do it on Sunday's.

In fairness, under Rhule, almost nobody did it on Sunday's.  Which is why we lost a bunch of games.  

Thomas may not be great, but I am interested to see if he looks better under the new regime.    

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

In fairness, under Rhule, almost nobody did it on Sunday's.  Which is why we lost a bunch of games.  

Thomas may not be great, but I am interested to see if he looks better under the new regime.    

Unfortunately Thomas appears to be the classic example of a Huddle crush that just keeps proving they aren't interested in us, no matter that they occasionally look our way.

He's ultimately a JAG and almost all JAG's are very replaceable. 

• Pie 2

15 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

For the record, I hated that contract and said that plenty in that signing thread. But here we are and Iets see this at seasons end...... i hope they know what to do this time..

Ian Thomas' biggest issue is that for every play that he flashes upside he levels that out with a play that makes you wonder if he'll ever get it.

At this stage in his career, teams aren't going to be looking at potential. They're going to look at the lack of consistency. Hopefully he's able to flip the switch this season, both for the team and for himself.

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

For the record, I hated that contract and said that plenty in that signing thread. But here we are and Iets see this at seasons end...... i hope they know what to do this time..

Yeah that was one of the most confounding roster moves we have made in recent memory.

I sincerely hope that was mostly Rhule.

• Beer 1

On 8/6/2023 at 9:38 AM, OUCPFL said:

Might've been looking at something different. You go back to the Broncos and Seattle games on the screen passes he lowers his head to try to get more yards. 

Tries and succeeds are two totally different things. He can try all he wants, but he consistently gets knocked back by 180lb CB's. Unacceptable at this level. 

Edited by 33inNC

29 minutes ago, 33inNC said:

Tries and succeeds are two totally different things. He can try all he wants, but he consistently gets knocked back by 180lb CB's. Unacceptable at this level. 

Yeah. You must've been watching something different. I watched those Panthers highlights at least 7 times now and that did not happen. 

On 8/6/2023 at 4:28 PM, kungfoodude said:

Funny note -- Hurst & Ian came out of the same draft class.  One we treat as this established vet that we brought in and another we're somehow still thinking may bloom any day now.

This will be Ian's 6th year and is on his second contract.  He's honestly lucky to be here at this point.

I'd personally prefer to see what strides Tremble makes.  He's super young (the age of a lot of rookies this year).  Critical year developmentally for him.  TEs are known to take time (2-3 years), but not 6...

Probably the last year here for Thomas unless he somehow has some completely out of nowhere breakout.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Funny note -- Hurst & Ian came out of the same draft class.  One we treat as this established vet that we brought in and another we're somehow still thinking may bloom any day now.

This will be Ian's 6th year and is on his second contract.  He's honestly lucky to be here at this point.

I'd personally prefer to see what strides Tremble makes.  He's super young (the age of a lot of rookies this year).  Critical year developmentally for him.  TEs are known to take time (2-3 years), but not 6...

Probably the last year here for Thomas unless he somehow has some completely out of nowhere breakout.

Based on his play and production, Ian Thomas should be a guy bouncing around the league trying to make a roster as a 3rd TE with his team constantly on the look out for a better option. Meanwhile, the Panthers pay him like he's a mid-level starter.

• Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Based on his play and production, Ian Thomas should be a guy bouncing around the league trying to make a roster as a 3rd TE with his team constantly on the look out for a better option. Meanwhile, the Panthers pay him like he's a mid-level starter.

It's pretty annoying we kept him around from a fan's perspective--stemming not only from the lack of production, but his off the field issue and that 2022 contract as well (now restructured, but still..) 

Sure, he became a better blocker and has always sounded like a good practice dude per reports, but his raw athleticism never translated to Sundays.  You have to show something, at some point. 

Who knows ha, I have no expectations for him.     

27 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

It's pretty annoying we kept him around from a fan's perspective--stemming not only from the lack of production, but his off the field issue and that 2022 contract as well (now restructured, but still..) 

Sure, he became a better blocker and has always sounded like a good practice dude per reports, but his raw athleticism never translated to Sundays.  You have to show something, at some point. 

Who knows ha, I have no expectations for him.     

Imagine being a guy who has bounced around the league occasionally sticking to rosters as a #3 TE always making league minimum and being like Ian Thomas has made HOW MUCH??? WTF??!!!