• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DJ Johnson

NAS

With the signing of Justin Houston, I'd say there's a significant chance DJ Johnson is going to have an "injury" in preseason that requires IR so we can save a roster spot and basically red-shirt him.  

I think Corral could have come back from his injury last year in preseason but it was an excuse to stash him on IR and save the roster spot.  Seem this movie many times over the years.

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, Seltzer said:

With the signing of Justin Houston, I'd say there's a significant chance DJ Johnson is going to have an "injury" in preseason that requires IR so we can save a roster spot and basically red-shirt him.  

I think Corral could have come back from his injury last year in preseason but it was an excuse to stash him on IR and save the roster spot.  Seem this movie many times over the years.

Will not be surprised to see this happen

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Seltzer said:

I think he needs reps they don't want to have to rely on him playing a significant amount to start the season. Hopefully he plays a lot during the preseason and we can get a good look of where he's at

I am thinking he is 24, would be helped by playing and would just be a year older and just as raw if they stash him which helps no one really.

Thinking that since they stated they were looking to use him at first only as an edge setter in the run game, that he will at least be able to contribute something. Even if he sucks at rushing the passer. 

• Pie 1

On 8/5/2023 at 11:17 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

24 year old rookies shouldn't still be considered raw prospects.

I think you harp too much simply on age, when I'd say rawness has much more to do with experience and proper coaching.  Sometimes those all go hand in hand, but not necessarily.  Like in the case of DJ who played exclusively TE his junior year and then had to juggle DE/TE duties his senior year.  It'd be easy to see how his development as a DE could be stunted when his coaches didn't commit him to that role in college.  At 24 years old, DJ is still in the early stages of his prime.  It's not like he's a raw 35 year old who is going to be physically limited in his attempt to develop in a new position compared to his peers.  I really don't see a meaningful difference between a raw 22 year old prospect playing out his rookie contract through age 26, vs. a raw 24 year old prospect playing out his rookie contract through age 28.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I think you harp too much simply on age, when I'd say rawness has much more to do with experience and proper coaching.  Sometimes those all go hand in hand, but not necessarily.  Like in the case of DJ who played exclusively TE his junior year and then had to juggle DE/TE duties his senior year.  It'd be easy to see how his development as a DE could be stunted when his coaches didn't commit him to that role in college.  At 24 years old, DJ is still in the early stages of his prime.  It's not like he's a raw 35 year old who is going to be physically limited in his attempt to develop in a new position compared to his peers.  I really don't see a meaningful difference between a raw 22 year old prospect playing out his rookie contract through age 26, vs. a raw 24 year old prospect playing out his rookie contract through age 28.

If he showed promise somewhere he wouldn't have been bouncing around the roster.

For reference, Brian Burns is only about six months older than DJ Johnson.

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he showed promise somewhere he wouldn't have been bouncing around the roster.

For reference, Brian Burns is only about six months older than DJ Johnson.

I wasn't arguing about his promise, just against the notion that you can't be a 24-year-old raw prospect. 

But if we are talking about promise: call me a homer, but I'm trusting the evaluation of a respected defensive mind like Evero over whoever this Tosh Lupoi dude is lol (Oregon Ducks DC).  As someone who was repeatedly on record as thinking very little of Justin Herbert as a prospect based on how his coaching staff used him (incidentally also from the Oregon Ducks, albeit different coaches), I am surprised you're so trusting of another college coaching staff haha.  You also rail against UNC's coaching staff (particularly on defense) pretty often if I'm not mistaken.  Seems like there are quite a lot of idiots out there coaching college football, no?  Maybe they did have it right with DJ...I'm not stating otherwise, simply that I'm keeping an open mind.

Edited by MasterAwesome
  • Pie 1

9 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I wasn't arguing about his promise, just against the notion that you can't be a 24-year-old raw prospect. 

But if we are talking about promise: call me a homer, but I'm trusting the evaluation of a respected defensive mind like Evero over whoever this Tosh Lupoi dude is lol (Oregon Ducks DC).  As someone who was repeatedly on record as thinking very little of Justin Herbert as a prospect based on how his coaching staff used him (incidentally also from the Oregon Ducks, albeit different coaches), I am surprised you're so trusting of another college coaching staff haha.  You also rail against UNC's coaching staff (particularly on defense) pretty often if I'm not mistaken.  Seems like there are quite a lot of idiots out there coaching college football, no?  Maybe they did have it right with DJ...I'm not stating otherwise, simply that I'm keeping an open mind.

I think we were committed to add an edge rusher fairly early in the draft and saw them flying off the board and kinda panicked.

• Beer 1