• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How are you feeling after the first preseason game?

Icege

How are you feeling after the first preseason game?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. How are you feeling after the first preseason game?

• Concerned, but not worried.
    • Worried, but not concerned.
    • Concerned and worried.
    • Neither concerned nor worried.

Yeah honestly, the only thing I’m “concerned” about is how they end up settling the RG situation. Everything else is a wash imo. And while it is embarrassing to lay an egg in general, I really can tell they went out there with the intention of being as vanilla as possible.

For 1. Offensively, there was no pre snap motion at all. Anybody who’s listened to Frank and Thomas talk or even seen any amount of  training camp clips knows that motion is a big part of the offense. They didn’t show motion at all yesterday. It was legit just line up and go. So I don’t expect that to carry over. 

2. The defense was playing basic coverages/pressure schemes yesterday too. Correct me if I’m wrong but I didn’t see any of the Evero defenses staples last night, those being sim pressures, exotic coverage looks, stunts, etc. 

Just trying to put perspective out there and why I do actually believe what Frank said about them intentionally being generic. I think as fans we have a right to be disappointed in laying a goose egg BUT there’s a line between being disappointed and acting like the first game of preseason is the end all be all. The main thing to be concerned about IMO is the iOL play, but like offense/defense scheme stuff is way to early to be panicking about. 

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, BlackPanther22 said:

2. The defense was playing basic coverages/pressure schemes yesterday too. Correct me if I’m wrong but I didn’t see any of the Evero defenses staples last night, those being sim pressures, exotic coverage looks, stunts, etc. 

Our defense couldn’t even figure out their basic coverages. There were too many blown assignments to count to even begin considering anything more complex. 

14 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Idgaf about preseason.

Do you know what happened the last time we didn't score a touchdown all preseason? We had one of, if not the worst, offenses in the league. 

Despite what people think, preseason play does correlate loosely to regular season play. 27-0 even in preseason is not a good omen. 

Then you can add the fact that Ickey was beat two or three times in as few snaps as he got and if that continues, we will see some Andy Dalton at some point this year.

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

I know the preseason ritual. Laugh at those who panic, it’s cool to not give a fug because it doesn’t count. We’re the only team that didn’t score a single point so far this preseason. Anyone who thinks everything will magically be fine in three weeks or so is delusional. Yes some starters were missing on defense but that 3-4 needs work. And for the offensive line, forget scheme and game planning, those dudes had no heart out there. Moton looked like dogshit during his reps.  I’m not panicking but I also know we’re no where close to ready.  

That's about how I feel. 

It's cool to get caught up in the frenzy of positivity before the season begins. Everyone is going to shock the world come September. 

We probably needed a dose of reality, and a reset of expectations. We are a young team with a new HC, OC, DC, defensive scheme, rookie QB (two, for all intents and purposes), etc. It was never in the cards to be world beaters out the gate. All that being said...

27-0 is not a good look. Your starting O-line looking like a grocery cart on basically every play is disappointing. You can't really justify that (at least in my mind), especially when you have the seasoned linemen and experienced brain trust that we do. We looked unprepared and outclassed. "Vanilla" doesn't justify an O-lineman not being able to provide basic protection or open up a hole.

Time to get back to work. Let's strive for putting at least a couple of points on the board in week two. From 27-0, all you can do is improve, and it all starts with the O-line.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's about how I feel. 

It's cool to get caught up in the frenzy of positivity before the season begins. Everyone is going to shock the world come September. 

We probably needed a dose of reality, and a reset of expectations. We are a young team with a new HC, OC, DC, defensive scheme, rookie QB (two, for all intents and purposes), etc. It was never in the cards to be world beaters out the gate. All that being said...

27-0 is not a good look. Your starting O-line looking like a grocery cart on basically every play isn't disappointing. You can't really justify those that (at least in my mind), especially when you have the seasoned linemen and experienced brain trust that we do. We looked unprepared and outclassed. "Vanilla" doesn't justify an O-lineman not being able to provide basic protection or open up a hole.

Time to get back to work. Let's strive for putting at least a couple of points on the board in week two. From 27-0, all you can do is improve, and it all starts with the O-line.

It sounds like Campen is very alarmed about the OL play and going to be busting his ass to correct it. The defense didn’t have several starters playing and the others barely played so I’m not as concerned there. If this trends continues throughout preseason then yes sound the alarms, but I’m not panicking after the team looked bad during their first preseason game. Let’s see how our staff corrects these issues starting with who is playing RG this Friday. 

26 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Do you know what happened the last time we didn't score a touchdown all preseason? We had one of, if not the worst, offenses in the league. 

Despite what people think, preseason play does correlate loosely to regular season play. 27-0 even in preseason is not a good omen. 

Then you can add the fact that Ickey was beat two or three times in as few snaps as he got and if that continues, we will see some Andy Dalton at some point this year.

It’s game 1 where the real back up QB (Dalton) didn’t even play so there were no garbage time touchdowns to add points like most preseason game.

We shut out Buffalo last year…doesn’t mean much. 

2 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

don’t think there are any similarities between Fox mailing in the last year of his contract and a new staff with a rookie QB.

16 hours ago, Smithers said:

For a “new era” of football, this was disappointing.  We lost every single one on one battle. We lost both lines of scrimmage.  We lost gap control.  We got gashed in the middle of the field.  We ran zero creative route concepts.  We couldn’t open running lanes.  Etc.  

im very concerned, at least until Friday night. 

This times 1,000,000