• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Positive from Today: Bryce Young's Talent in One Play

Saca312

He didn't panic under pressure, Corral missed a couple reads a pro would have made. I wonder if they regret not having Dalton out there a series or two to evaluate the O-line and backup receivers better. Assuming they didn't think it was going to be this bad all around for the offense

• Pie 1

Bryce looked like a 5 year vet out there in terms of looking defenders off, knowing where to go with the football, throwing it where only his guy can make a play, etc. I just wish he had more time to showcase a good drive for us.

Also, Ickey was responsible for that first pressure. He didn't get enough depth to where he could trade defenders with Brady in case they ran a stunt (which they did). I honestly don't think they expected the Jets to be running stunts in a preseason game, so maybe there's that. I'm sure Campen will go over film and correct these things.

• Pie 3

5 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

He didn't panic under pressure, Corral missed a couple reads a pro would have made. I wonder if they regret not having Dalton out there a series or two to evaluate the O-line and backup receivers better. Assuming they didn't think it was going to be this bad all around for the offense

Corral looked like a guy who got hurt last preseason and wasn’t repping. Got to consider him a rookie again.  Game looks too fast.  Which makes sense. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

I’ve watched a few videos this morning and a comment that seemed to be consistent is that the jets appeared to be running a schemed defense you’d normally not see in preseason. Similar to how the patriots have done in the past. 

there were multiple disguised blitzes, multi-assignment coverages, dline stunt play and hybrid zones. 

jets better slow play that … they are gonna have that tape used against them during the season.

• Pie 8

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I was surprised that’s all it took to get the top pick in the draft. If there is a QB our staff loves (like Young) you make that trade 10/10 times. 

I thought it was a good value for both sides all things considered. D.J. was the key, and he was not as worth as much to us in our stage of development, and within the context of our personnel, as he was to them where they were.  Like you, I'm making that trade every single time. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I’ve watched a few videos this morning and a comment that seemed to be consistent is that the jets appeared to be running a schemed defense you’d normally not see in preseason. Similar to how the patriots have done in the past. 

there were multiple disguised blitzes, multi-assignment coverages, dline stunt play and hybrid zones. 

jets better slow play that … they are gonna have that tape used against them during the season.

I’ve never understood the whole “we don’t wanna show anything” argument.  Maybe that provides a benefit for the first half of the first game, but after that teams know what type of schemes you run.  The majority of teams now use the preseason to practice the very things you want to run in the regular season.  It’s fine to sit some players, but at least make an effort to see how your playbook translates on the field in games.  By week 2 everyone is gonna know it anyways.  

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I’ve never understood the whole “we don’t wanna show anything” argument.  Maybe that provides a benefit for the first half of the first game, but after that teams know what type of schemes you run.  The majority of teams now use the preseason to practice the very things you want to run in the regular season.  It’s fine to sit some players, but at least make an effort to see how your playbook translates on the field in games.  By week 2 everyone is gonna know it anyways.  

you dont run the same schemes every week... ever team should have a specific game plan based on their opponent. However, showing your dline, secondary, linebacker schemes in a game that is one by the inches... hurts your competitive advantage. 

There is a reason these professional and experienced coaching staffs stay vanilla in preseason. There is no point you and I could argue that would change that. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 3

You don't show too much because those first two weeks, you're playing key games for the division. You absolutely don't want to show your hand more than you must. In general, coaches want to see basic stuff just to see execution and technique and timing. It's used to address fundamental issues you may have. If you're fuging up the basics, showing a good chunk of your real base schemes and fuging those up helps nobody and actively hurts you once the regular season starts.

1 hour ago, Castavar said:

I honestly don't think they expected the Jets to be running stunts in a preseason game, so maybe there's that

As I said in the OL thread, they ran stunts on Wednesday in joint practice. They struggled then and did not learn from it. Very concerning