• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Brown calling plays

Jmac

40 minutes ago, top dawg said:

When I was researching Reich, I'd say that his play calling was probably what led to the most criticism of the then Colt's HC. Some of the writers and fans weren't really impressed.

Perhaps someone who follows the Eagles can discuss the seeming disconnect of Reich's play calling as the Eagles' OC versus Reich's play calling as the Colts' HC. Was Doug Pederson the better football mind there?

Anyway, I think that we'll really find what kind of coach we have based upon when he allows Thomas Brown do his job unfettered. I can't remember who said it in the game thread, but Brown's play calling actually looks like it's geared for today's modern NFL. That's a good take in my estimation.

My family members are all Eagles fans.  They like Reich, but Pederson called all the plays for them.  Reich simply helped with play design and installs.  Obviously the Eagles never missed a beat when Reich left.  We are in trouble if Reich calls the plays for us.  His track record when doing so isn’t good

• Pie 3

I agree that Thomas seems to have a better grasp/flow of the offense right now as a play caller and honestly, I’d like to see him get to call a half with the first team Offense to see what it looks like. And I mean I think Frank does have to eventually do what’s in the best interest of the team, if that means letting TB call the plays to get the offense going. 

However, and like y’all can correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Frank Reich have top half of the league offenses 3 of the 4 years he was in Indy? I’m willing to see what his playcalling looks like when it’s not “vanilla” just to be certain. 

If it’s one thing I do think we should brace for it’s that one of the most common criticisms of FR was that his teams start slow. One article I read said Frank was one of the best “advanced scouters” in the league which is apparently why they believed his teams start slow and get better as the season goes on, because they have more tape to pull from later. So that might be more of a “concern” to the fan base imo. 

I think we can wait to see what happens when Sanders plays as well as we open up the playbook before saying much about the play calling. We will run a lot and use lots of motion to help the line and Bryce. I am glad Thomas is getting the chance to call plays. He can develop that skill having never done it before. I hear that Reich is reportedly letting the coaches do their job. Should be a real test of that with playcalling. Something Reich really likes to do and thinks he is pretty good at. 

I found a good PFF article from 2021 analyzing a loss to Tampa. I thought the explanations by Reich and the commentary were interesting although not sure how much light it sheds on this discussion.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-indianapolis-colts-frank-reich-playcalling-jonathan-taylor-carson-wentz-tampa-bay-buccaneers-week-12

• Pie 2

Hope he doesn't wait until we are in dire straights before he hands Brown the job.

Not many older HC's are still calling the plays (Reid is the exception,Payton is another). The game evolves very fast and new blood with new ideas will win the day.

Let's have this convo week 4. We are probably using 30% of the playbook rn. Also in the preseason you don't necessarily call the best play for the situation because you are trying to gather data on something specific and don't care about the outcome of the play, just getting tape on a specific play in a specific situation

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Let's have this convo week 4. We are probably using 30% of the playbook rn. Also in the preseason you don't necessarily call the best play for the situation because you are trying to gather data on something specific and don't care about the outcome of the play, just getting tape on a specific play in a specific situation

Good post but it seems that rational thinking is not popular at this time.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, jb2288 said:

That is all good and well but they have had zero rhythm and that just does not bod well  I get what preseason is about

I get we have players out of the lineup, but honest to god, they look like they have zero clue 

Imho they paid Brown handsomely.  I’m sure he didn’t Leave the rams to hold the clip board for Reich 

So let the coordinators do their job 

I like Reich  but he isn’t Andy Reid and the Panthers aren’t the Chiefs. 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Beer 1

Just now, raleigh-panther said:

That is all good and well but they have had zero rhythm and that just does not bod well

Imho they paid Brown handsomely.  I’m sure he didn’t Lea e the rams to hold the clip board for Reich 

So let the coordinators do their job 

I like Reich  but he isn’t Andy Reid and the Panthers aren’t the Chiefs. 

I think the point of the poster you quoted though is that they aren't trying to necessarily call plays for the sake of finding rhythm in preseason because it's much more about finding what works and what doesn't. 

Fwiw, I do agree the offense has looked smoother with TB calling the plays to this point. But again, it's preseason, it's much lower stakes now than it will be when the real games start. Also consider this as well, Thomas probably has a bit of a better grasp right now because he's been calling plays throughout training camp as well so that Frank can oversee the entire operation vs just zeroing in on the offense. 

I'd like to see Thomas become the full time play caller at some point just because I really like the guy (he should've gotten a HC interview here IMO) but for now, Im cool with Reich doing his thing because as I've mentioned before in here, he's called top half of the league (and even top 10) offenses before.  

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Luck retiring and the owner forcing him to bench Ryan for a  Ehlinger had something to do with it as well. 

9 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

It sounds to me like he is grooming Brown to take over, which means he will be heavily involved in it. 

Yupperz, that sounds reasonable. But let's face it, it's the Huddle. Living in the past and making sweeping proclamations for the future based off that past. 

The let's wait and see how this all works out crowd gets drowned out by the sky is falling group. IN PRESEASON. lol

I realize that fans are gonna fan. But man, sometimes it just never seems to stop.

11 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

Yupperz, that sounds reasonable. But let's face it, it's the Huddle. Living in the past and making sweeping proclamations for the future based off that past. 

The let's wait and see how this all works out crowd gets drowned out by the sky is falling group. IN PRESEASON. lol

I realize that fans are gonna fan. But man, sometimes it just never seems to stop.

Yupperz, why can't everyone have an opinion?

Why do people get mad at others because they are fed up with the same ole Panthers. People just want change. They are tired of being losers.

I love all of you even if you don't love me back. I understand some people are just miserable. All I ask is to let everyone have an opinion. There is no right or wrong. We all want the Panthers to win. Some care more than others. Lets stick together and stop with the insults.

Love, CamWhoaaCam

Obama-out GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by CamWhoaaCam