• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FYI: Cuts begin today

Mr. Scot

38 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think Wright was cut.  I think they like Jensen and he could take McCray's job since Mays can play all 3 interior line spots--that is going to be interesting.  Rowe?  I think he is gone.  Franklin seemed to play well and they are going to keep Jammie.

I know Jammie was comped to Honey Badger coming out, but tbh, most of the clips I saw of him and then the limited snaps I saw of him in the preseason, I just didn't see it, or much of anything else.  Didn't flash much, IMO.  But, draft picks, if they show any promise, tend to get a little more consideration, at least in their rookie year, so I'm not sure how that will work.

I honestly think Rowe has a good chance to make it bc he has more size and is proven versatile, even though he had a few bad plays in the preseason.  IIRC, we signed him pretty early in FA too, so they must've thought pretty highly of him even on a 1 yr deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut either, so I just said a whole lot of nothing lol.

Franklin is a lock.

And I'm pretty certain Mays and Jensen make it.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I know Jammie was comped to Honey Badger coming out, but tbh, most of the clips I saw of him and then the limited snaps I saw of him in the preseason, I just didn't see it, or much of anything else.  Didn't flash much, IMO.  But, draft picks, if they show any promise, tend to get a little more consideration, at least in their rookie year, so I'm not sure how that will work.

I honestly think Rowe has a good chance to make it bc he has more size and is proven versatile, even though he had a few bad plays in the preseason.  IIRC, we signed him pretty early in FA too, so they must've thought pretty highly of him even on a 1 yr deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut either, so I just said a whole lot of nothing lol.

Franklin is a lock.

And I'm pretty certain Mays and Jensen make it.

anyone who said that is an absolute fool

He was a liability at SCar. I didn't follow him at FSU but what he's shown this preseason is exactly what I remember seeing as a Gamecock. He's all bark no bite.

• Pie 3

28 minutes ago, Sir Big Spurr said:

I’d be pretty disappointed if Brandon Smith gets cut. I think he has potential. As for the others, we’d never know they were gone. 

It'd hard to find guys at his size with his traits, but considering that he just doesn't seem to show up much.  I think it's telling how early we saw Barno in games and how late Brandon Smith ended up in there most of the time.

Weirdly enough, I thought Smith looked good when given the opportunities last season, but whenever I saw him this preseason, he seemed to get "out-physicaled."

4 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

anyone who said that is an absolute fool

He was a liability at SCar. I didn't follow him at FSU but what he's shown this preseason is exactly what I remember seeing as a Gamecock. He's all bark no bite.

I dont want to write him off yet, but I agree...  I didn't see much of him in college, just the draft profile and then "highlights" and such, and I just felt way underwhelmed.  Then in the games he was all but invisible most of the time.

And the Mathieu comps were on the draft profiles I think on ESPN or NFLN, and when I first heard it, I was thinking w head a steal, and then I saw his film and was like, "wtf were they looking at?"😂  I think most of it came from the size and versatility, but I didn't see it in the physicality or ability at all.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I dont want to write him off yet, but I agree...  I didn't see much of him in college, just the draft profile and then "highlights" and such, and I just felt way underwhelmed.  Then in the games he was all but invisible most of the time.

And the Mathieu comps were on the draft profiles I think on ESPN or NFLN, and when I first heard it, I was thinking w head a steal, and then I saw his film and was like, "wtf were they looking at?"😂  I think most of it came from the size and versatility, but I didn't see it in the physicality or ability at all.

The lack of effort has been the most concerning to me. Maybe he's thinking too much and not playing fast, but the early returns are pretty bad even for a late rounder.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

It'd hard to find guys at his size with his traits, but considering that he just doesn't seem to show up much.  I think it's telling how early we saw Barno in games and how late Brandon Smith ended up in there most of the time.

Weirdly enough, I thought Smith looked good when given the opportunities last season, but whenever I saw him this preseason, he seemed to get "out-physicaled."

He laid the wood multiple times this preseason. Good special teamer too. 

Now if he was getting out physicalled by linemen, he may just be terrible shedding blocks. No matter how great his size is for LB, a 320lb man will still make him look silly if they get their hands on him. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Was he actually serious? I thought maybe he accidentally typed in Young’s name. Didn’t bother going back for any context.

Oh he's definitely serious...he's been very vocally anti-Young so I'm sure anything short of League MVP + OROY + Super Bowl MVP his rookie season will have him believing we took the wrong guy.

• Pie 1