• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will YGM have a Hardy breakout year

TheBigKat

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Charles Johnson did not break out until year 4.  First 3 years--10 sacks.  Next five years--52.5 sacks

Mike Rucker was silent until year 3. First 2 years--5.5 sacks.  Next three years--31 sacks.

But those guys started.  YGM will be in spot duty *knocks on wood*  unless Houston and Burns struggles to stay healthy. Haynes, once fully ready, will probably be the #3 guy.  Barno has too much speed not to give him snaps.  We draft Johnson too. 

YGM is going to have a hard time getting enough snaps to have a "break out year" as a Panther.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Charles Johnson did not break out until year 4.  First 3 years--10 sacks.  Next five years--52.5 sacks

Mike Rucker was silent until year 3. First 2 years--5.5 sacks.  Next three years--31 sacks.

I think both of these guys showed had some high level flashes peppered in. YGM hasn’t done that much to give me much confidence he will breakout.  If he stays in the roster I will hope for the best and pull for him.  If not I wish him the best of luck elsewhere.  But it appears to be an uphill battle for him at the moment.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

41 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Hasn’t YGM had considerably more snaps than Johnson and Rucker in their first years though? I know for sure with Rucker, and Rucker I’m sure benefitted from the vets he got to learn behind. 

YGM has flashed nothing as a pass rusher. Even when he gets there, he’s the 2nd or 3rd dude…and that’s his best so far. 

Definitely rooting for him. He’s frustrating because he could fix a huge problem if he can just turn it on. We want him to be good. 

42 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Charles Johnson was a very good player early on.  I remember him being one of the most efficient pass rushers in the league as early as 2008.  He just didn't get a chance to start until 2010.  IIRC 2009 is when he got stanky legged which kind of derailed his season.

Hardy wasn't as good as fast but he still flashed a lot of talent, which we knew he had at Ole Miss.  Him putting up 10+ sacks in his 3rd year wasn't much of a surprise.

I want YGM to do well but he hasn't looked nearly as good as Johnson or Hardy did early on.  

49 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Johnson and Rucker were in defenses that fit their skill set.

As of this season, Gross-Matos is not.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Johnson and Rucker were in defenses that fit their skill set.

As of this season, Gross-Matos is not.

Assumption is built into your response. 

Good football players will probably find a way to succeed in any defense as long as coaches give them the freedom to do so. 

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Assumption is built into your response. 

Good football players will probably find a way to succeed in any defense as long as coaches give them the freedom to do so. 

Gross-Matos not fitting a 3-4 defense isn't "assumption", it's analysis. It's also a conclusion numerous analysts have come to.

What's also true is that I've seen plenty of players (better ones than YGM has shown) perform poorly because they were in the wrong system. In fact, that's a way more common occurrence than someone adapting to a system outside their skill set would be.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gross-Matos not fitting a 3-4 defense isn't "assumption", it's analysis. It's also a conclusion numerous analysts have come to.

What's also true is that I've seen plenty of players (better ones than YGM has shown) perform poorly because they were in the wrong system. In fact, that's a way more common occurrence than someone adapting to a system outside their skill set would be.

Don't know who these numerous analysts are, outside Huddle analysts, that is.

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think the reality is that he is a backup caliber player. He seems to have very obviously proven that.

• Pie 1

To be honest, I’d rather have had YGM add 25 lbs. and try him at DT. He’s at least decent against the run so with the added weight he might be able to hack it as a DT in a 3-4. The problem is if it doesn’t work out then it might end his career cause he’d ultimately get cut by the Panthers and he’d need to lose all that weight to get back to the typical size of an EDGE.

• Pie 1