• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB School Wk3: Bryce Young

TheCasillas

2 hours ago, Panthering said:

Funny theme of all of JT's video on Bryce so far is how much he criticizes "Nineteen" (Adam Thielen) for some stuff he sees on film. That might just be our WR1!  

He really doesn’t like them and their slowness in the shorter pass game.  He has been chiming in about that outside of his videos too.  

48 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Everyone is taking JT’s summaries as gospel, but I disagree with him on multiple plays in this film. I typically love his breakdowns though. 

Play #2: He goes in on Theilen throttling down when it was the right call for the situation. AT throttled down just before coming into Young’s vision against zone coverage. He throttled so he wouldn’t run into the CB along the sideline. If he kept running full speed, there’s potential for a big hit as he makes the catch that could jeopardize the completion. 

Play #6: He wants Bryce to stick with the reads and find the in route to #83. He fails to mention there was a DLman in his grill when he hit the check down. He didn’t have time for the in route to develop, especially with a LB playing it underneath. 

Play #8: The miss from Bryce down the sideline. I don’t disagree with JT’s analysis of the play, but he fails to mention the DB is in phase with the targeted WR until the ball is released. It looks like a bad miss after the DB bites on the drag route, but the ball was already thrown at that point making it a “throw it where only your guy can catch it” pass. Still a miss, but not as bad as it seemed at first glance. 

On the completion to Theilen when he fell going out of bounds: JT trashes Theilen for the fall, but >95%  of WRs are going out of bounds on that play. He caught the ball halfway between the numbers and the sideline in a full sprint. That leaves no room to turn and go. Only option is to decelerate, then go which wasn’t available due to the trailing DB. 

I love JT’s breakdowns and trust his opinions on QB play. But Theilen knows far more about playing WR than JT knows about playing QB. It came across like Theilen had stole his girl at some point in life. Yes, Theilen isn’t a burner and he had a drop in the game. He also had 4 catches for 48 yards and a TD in ~one quarter of play. Theilen has never had breakaway speed, but that didn’t stop him from becoming a top tier WR. 

Also, Bryce is a stud. 

Yeah I enjoy his pre snap breakdowns and everything but his personal opinions on reads/routes/throwaways etc I usually don't agree with. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

This all day!! Finally the QB position is not a weakness, if anything it's a strength. We have to surround Bryce with alphas on the outside to make it easier on him and to generate big plays. It's no coincidence that Bryce has targeted Theilan more often because he is a savvy veteran and Bryce trusts him more than the other WRs. I think this season will hinge on our skill positions and not the QB. 

Burrow isn't as successful without Chase, Mahomes without Kelce, Allen without Diggs. Even prime Cam had Olsen. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

This all day!! Finally the QB position is not a weakness, if anything it's a strength. We have to surround Bryce with alphas on the outside to make it easier on him and to generate big plays. It's no coincidence that Bryce has targeted Theilan more often because he is a savvy veteran and Bryce trusts him more than the other WRs. I think this season will hinge on our skill positions and not the QB. 

Burrow isn't as successful without Chase, Mahomes without Kelce, Allen without Diggs. Even prime Cam had Olsen. 

Even Rodgers said Garrett Wilson makes the offense night and day with the Jets, same as with Adams in Green Bay. Not as much this week but he has had Hurts open multiple times and went elsewhere. Usually last minute read/middle of the field kinda situations but I'm sure he saw it on tape afterwards

• Pie 1