• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns out of practice, Frank Reich not saying if absence is contract-related

WarPanthers89

56 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Shaq played in the shadow of TD and Kuechly and I think because he was “mentored” by them he got a pass for being an average/above average player. Burns is the superior talent but he’s mostly a one trick pony but it’s one of the most necessary tricks a defense needs. The Panthers made the decision to keep him when they turned down the Rams package of picks so they just gotta pay him now or look like epic dumbasses.

In theory can’t we tag him next year though? 

4 hours ago, Icege said:

The salary cap is expected to increase by $30M next season and then over $25M in 2025. Burns can literally get $30M next season and the team would still have the $16M they're paying him currently to go out and sign more talent with. We had folks thinking they could go sign a pass rusher and extra players with that $16M if Burns was traded, but now there's suddenly no money?

The team is currently sitting on $18M in extra cap space this season with a projected remaining cap of $55.5M for next season. Even if the team shells out another $8M this season for whatever reason there's still gonna be an extra $10M to rollover to add to that $55.5M.

TJ Watt got $28M/yr when the salary cap was $208M. I dont understand why anyone would be concerned/worried about paying Burns $2M more than that when the salary cap is expected to be $256M. He would not be getting the same percentage of the team's salary cap as Watt did.

People forget this part. 

39 minutes ago, Growl said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/37896/ive-got-to-be-here-why-panthers-brian-burns-isnt-holding-out?platform=amp

“No fault to anybody who is not participating,’’ Burns said. “But we’ve got something special, and I’m a big part of it, so I can’t miss no time. I’ve just got to be here.’’

Of course it’s been on my mind,’’ Burns said. “This is personal, but I’ve been working on my relationship with God. I left it in his hands. I just did everything I could in my power to be on this field with my teammates. I feel if you live the right way, good things will happen to you.’’

Among those pulling for Burns to get paid is New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers. After the preseason opener at Bank of America Stadium, the future Hall of Famer was captured by HBO’s “Hard Knocks’’ telling Burns: “Good luck with the contract. You deserve it. You’re a —--ing incredible player.’’

lets get this guy resigned. 

10 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Let him walk. He will never be worth what he thinks he is worth. Which is elite money. 

A part of me feels the same way. He is a very good player but a part of me worries for paying top dollar for him and not getting Bosa like performance but then again we currently have nobody even close to his level on that line which concerns me for a replacement as well. I honestly have no idea what I would do at this point unfortunately.

Meh, Burns will be completely wasted without anyone to take attention off him. If he has a down game or is taken out by the opposing team, the defense has already lost. Same story with CMC and the offense. And we remember comments that no that we have Young we can focus on defense lol. He has little to no weapons.

Panthers love replying on one player/dimensions all the time for some reason. Signs of a poor franchise. Would be nice to have to competency to get out of that pattern.

1 hour ago, RJK said:

Burns is good. Is he two first round picks good? They’re tied to him now for better or worse and they’ll pay him what he wants 

Thats what scares a part of me. He is a good player no doubt but I truly do not believe he is best at his position in the NFL for top pay though. It feels as if we are going to have to pay him as the best in the NFL how this timeline is working out.

10 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Meh, Burns will be completely wasted without anyone to take attention off him. If he has a down game or is taken out by the opposing team, the defense has already lost. Same story with CMC and the offense. And we remember comments that no that we have Young we can focus on defense lol. He has little to no weapons.

Panthers love replying on one player/dimensions all the time for some reason. Signs of a poor franchise. Would be nice to have to competency to get out of that pattern.

I just wish we could have gotten Bryce Young and still kept DJ Moore. Even though Moore is not tops in the league he was still a proven playmaker when he wanted to be.

42 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

A part of me feels the same way. He is a very good player but a part of me worries for paying top dollar for him and not getting Bosa like performance but then again we currently have nobody even close to his level on that line which concerns me for a replacement as well. I honestly have no idea what I would do at this point unfortunately.

You can't let players walk just because they aren't as good as Nick Bosa.

And Burns likely hasn't even hit his peak yet.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

You can't let players walk just because they aren't as good as Nick Bosa.

And Burns likely hasn't even hit his peak yet.

I realize that but you also cant consistently overpay for each player either. I hope he hasn't hit his peak yet but I also would not hammer out a contract until the off season either to see how this season goes first in this new scheme they have going.

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

Brown and Houston say

jennifer lawrence middle finger GIF

• Beer 3

2 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

People forget this part. 

No one forgets that - everybody else just gets more expensive too, making it an irrelevant point. Setting deals in anticipation of salary cap increases that mag or may not happen should not be a primary strategy.

• Pie 1