• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bosa deal done. Burns, are you next?

TheCasillas

4 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

That's not how contracts are done though.  Burrows is about to well be the highest paid player in the NFL by quite a bit. Parsons is going to crush this Bosa deal next year with an aav of 36-38m. 

Burns and Bosa came into the league in the same year and both are getting or trying to get deals done now.  Bosa's production well above Burns (Parsons ahead of Burns too).

If Burns wants to get some incentives...fine.....and I hope he earns it.  At this time his production is ranked 9th over the past 2 years.  He should get paid a guaranteed amount based on that.

• Pie 1

Just now, ladypanther said:

Burns and Bosa came into the league in the same year and both are getting or trying to get deals done now.  Bosa's production well above Burns (Parsons ahead of Burns too).

If Burns wants to get some incentives...fine.....and I hope he earns it.  At this time his production is ranked 9th over the past 2 years.  He should get paid a guaranteed amount based on that.

Take a step back and look at that objectively though.

If you're saying Burns has been the 9th best pass rusher over the last 2 seasons, then I think you're making the argument for Burns being paid more than what the team wants to give him.

He'd have done that during 2 seasons in which we were not good and thus losing a lot and teams running it more than passing against us.  So if he was still the 9th best pass rusher during that time, imagine what he could be if we're playing with leads and he can pin his ears back and rush the passer on more snaps.

I think that is something that people tend to forget when looking at his past years and trying to project his future.

• Flames 4

1 minute ago, ladypanther said:

I get what you are saying but that's not how contracts work. Burns will be the 2nd highest edge player after he signs and then in 2 years he will be 5th or 6th in pay. 

That's how contracts work for the most part in the NFL. 

Best player sets new precedent and bar, then other players get little above or close to that bar and that repeats over the length of the best players contract. 

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

$26M is 76% of what Bosa got.  His production not at that level for the past 2 years (see my chart above.)

In Snow's system Burns notched 22 sacks over 37 games (0.59 sacks per game). In the 11 games under Wilks, he notched 8.5 sacks (0.77). There's an argument to be made that under a real NFL DC as a 3-4 OLB that Burns could have notched 26 sacks over 2 seasons (0.77 sacks per game, 34 games), which would have been 76.5% of what Bosa produced.

He's young (6mo younger than Bosa) and hitting his prime with a rising salary cap. He might not see $30M but $26M-$28M seems like a good deal for both sides. 😄

Edited by Icege

9 minutes ago, Icege said:

In Snow's system Burns notched 22 sacks over 37 games (0.59 sacks per game). In the 11 games under Wilks, he notched 8.5 sacks (0.77). There's an argument to be made that under a real NFL DC as a 3-4 OLB that Burns could have notched 26 sacks over 2 seasons (0.77 sacks per game, 34 games), which would have been 76.5% of what Bosa produced.

He's young (6mo younger than Bosa) and hitting his prime with a rising salary cap. He might not see $30M but $26M-$28M seems like a good deal for both sides. 😄

There is also an argument that all the whiffs he had were not a factor of the DC.  How many times did it look like he had the sack and then let the QB get away? Finishing has been an issue.

That being said...I would lean to the $26 mil.

(Good research by the way)

Edited by ladypanther

2 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

We are gonna lose Burns. No way the Panthers pay him 28 million. Just try to trade him and get something for him. 

28MM will be a bargain in a year or two. 

22 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

exactly. Burns is an elite pass rusher but not an elite player like Bosa

He's about to be elite in a 3-4

Another thing I'd like to add that I think is being overlooked here. Is that those contracts for Joey Bosa and the others were signed a few seasons ago and a lot of the value is from cap% overall. So even if say Burns gets 29m which is more than Joey got, he will be making less % based on the overall cap numbers now. 

Nick actually got the same cap % as his brother did back when he signed his deal. They are essentially the same contract value wise based on cap numbers

Edited by carpanfan96