• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bosa deal done. Burns, are you next?

TheCasillas

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

People in this fanbase have spent years complaining about the Panthers investing steep contracts in positions like running back and linebacker. Investing in a talented 25 year old pass rusher who has the next several years to develop into a dominant force on this defense is not the same as that.

Basically I'm getting the sense from some of ya'll that you're saying Burns is coasting and he's only going to get lazy with the new contract. You guys should just say that and own it.

Bad contracts/deals are bad no matter the position.  And they add up. 

no one is saying don’t pay Burns.   But Bosa money would be dumb.  120+ guaranteed? Comparable players are at half that in that last year. 

And our dumb management of things has never been limited to just RBs and LBs.  

32 minutes ago, rayzor said:

That will end up being 10-20mil that we can't spend on others to make the team better.

Hope you like mediocrity, because that's the type of team you force by taking up so much of the cap.

It's bad enough that QBs do that, but considering it's the most important position on the team and the figurehead of the franchise and so much is piled on their shoulders, but giving that much more of a limited cap to another player just cripples the team.

I really like Burns, he’s who I wanted at the draft. He’s played well for us and while I don’t think he’s on Bosa’s level that’s fine. We’ll be able to work around his deal regardless.

The only reason I wanted the trade is because I am fairly certain both Rams 1sts will be top 10 picks, add in pick 36 in the draft a few months ago and two $15M per year FAs and I think if Fitterer is all that some people think, he should have been able to get 5 quality starters out of that with a good possibility that one of those 1st rounders would be as good or better than Burns by himself. The risk of losing Burns was worth that bounty. Didn’t do it so we better know that Burns will take a step into that elite tier. I would probably not have traded Bosa for that same deal because he has taken over games and led to wins with his play.

8 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

An NFL agent's words and not mine. "If bosa is worth 30m than Burns should get 25-27m". Bosa was worth 34m, that means Burns is worth 29-31m. 

The above is how the NFL actually works. 

So a guy who profits from any player getting more. Even other agents clients, is an unbiased opinion? 

Common sense’s words would be closer to “If Alex Highsmith is worth 17M/yr(and only 17M guaranteed) then Burns should get 20M….tops” Because Burns is much closer to Highsmith level than he is Crosby, Garrett, Watt, or the Bosa’s level.”  

Edited by Toomers
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Bad contracts/deals are bad no matter the position.  And they add up. 

no one is saying don’t pay Burns.   But Bosa money would be dumb.  120+ guaranteed? Comparable players are at half that in that last year. 

And our dumb management of things has never been limited to just RBs and LBs.  

Contracts keep going up and that isn't changing unfortunately. Do you remember how many arguments there were in the lead up to us signing Cam to his first contract extension? That's chump change compared to now. And crazy to think about considering how much he meant to the team production wise. When they sign him I'm going to let it play out. But I am absolutely expecting Burns to hold up his end of the bargain and if he does not I will be one of the first to speak on it.

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

Contracts keep going up and that isn't changing unfortunately. Do you remember how many arguments there were in the lead up to us signing Cam to his first contract extension? That's chump change compared to now. And crazy to think about considering how much he meant to the team production wise. When they sign him I'm going to let it play out. But I am absolutely expecting Burns to hold up his end of the bargain and if he does not I will be one of the first to speak on it.

Contracts do go up.  They don’t go up from 60m guaranteed to 120+guaranteed in a less than a year….when talking about comparable players.  

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Contracts do go up.  They don’t go up from 60m guaranteed to 120+guaranteed in a less than a year….when talking about comparable players.  

You either pay to play or you go back to throwing darts at the draft board hoping and praying you get a stud. In the meantime that new pass rusher will also take time to develop. While that's going on the team will probably not be winning much. Thus resulting in the squandering of our current core. When looking at it from that angle if we sell Burns why not just sell off the rest of the defensive pieces too?

16 minutes ago, Toomers said:

So a guy who profits from any player getting more. Even other agents clients, is an unbiased opinion? 

Common sense’s words would be closer to “If Alex Highsmith is worth 17M/yr(and only 17M guaranteed) then Burns should get 20M….tops” Because Burns is much closer to Highsmith level than he is Crosby, Garrett, Watt, or the Bosa’s level.”  

Highsmith cheated himself out of millions and we've had this discussion already. Completely different situations.  Yeesh

Doesn't matter if the fans don't like it, the above is how the NFL works. 

Edited by carpanfan96
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

Joey got 102m guaranteed on a 27aav years ago. Watt got 80m guaranteed on 28m aav. 

Ignore Crosby and Highsmith taking less than they are worth. Ignore Garret, his contract is old at this point. 

Edited by carpanfan96