• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Brian Burns Dilemma

shaq

I think Burns wants to be here and I hope we can get him paid within a reasonable amount but as many have stated he's not on the Bosa level and paying him anything close to what he's getting is insane. 

I'm to the point where we trade him and get some value out of him even if it is just one first rounder and find a Rent-a-DE for one season.  

If we start overpaying players than we are going to put ourselves in a situation where we can't keep enough good players to be competitive.

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think Burns wants to be here and I hope we can get him paid within a reasonable amount but as many have stated he's not on the Bosa level and paying him anything close to what he's getting is insane. 

I'm to the point where we trade him and get some value out of him even if it is just one first rounder and find a Rent-a-DE for one season.  

If we start overpaying players than we are going to put ourselves in a situation where we can't keep enough good players to be competitive.

That ship has sailed. If they didn't trade him for the Rams deal last year, it isn't happening this year.

First off - we all know the salary cap is a myth and that's why teams pay guys good money to manipulate it.  Second - it's not our money, it's Tepper's cash.  Third - we've already played our hand not letting him go during a fire sale.

The facts:

-Bosa reset the market, that's just how it works.

-The Rams draft capital would not play until next season and the year after that.  Who knows where the Rams end up draft position wise.

-Draft picks are risky, and the jury is still out on Fitterer's ability to draft.  Not great right now...

-Burns was one of the last Hurney picks - and Hurney usually hit homeruns on 1st round picks so....

-Burns is going to make a LOT of money, regardless of how stingy some of y'all think you can.

So with that being said there's no real dilemma to paying Burns.  The market has been set.  Burns is a proven player.  We've seen for years for every play he gets washed out, he comes back and makes more plays.  He played his butt off for bad teams and coaches.  He's a guy you can build your team around.

Pay the man and let's move on.  Congrats to Brian for his genetic gifts and his hard work.  He's earned his money in the NFL.  He's 25, and if he get's a contract in line with Bosa, he can be locked up through his prime pass rushing years.  The sticker shock is incredible, but didn't Pat Mahomes sign for $450 million (with like $160m guaranteed)?  The NFL is the biggest game in America and those TV contracts are RICH.  

So again, it's not my money.  The cap is not real.  Burns has done everything he can, and looks like he's ready to take that next step. 

Pay Up Panthers.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 3

5 hours ago, d-dave said:

First off - we all know the salary cap is a myth and that's why teams pay guys good money to manipulate it.  Second - it's not our money, it's Tepper's cash.  Third - we've already played our hand not letting him go during a fire sale.

The facts:

-The Rams draft capital would not play until next season and the year after that.  Who knows where the Rams end up draft position wise.

-Draft picks are risky, and the jury is still out on Fitterer's ability to draft.  Not great right now...

-Burns was one of the last Hurney picks - and Hurney usually hit homeruns on 1st round picks so....

-Burns is going to make a LOT of money, regardless of how stingy some of y'all think you can.

So with that being said there's no real dilemma to paying Burns.  The market has been set.  Burns is a proven player.  We've seen for years for every play he gets washed out, he comes back and makes more plays.  He played his butt off for bad teams and coaches.  He's a guy you can build your team around.

Pay the man and let's move on.  Congrats to Brian for his genetic gifts and his hard work.  He's earned his money in the NFL.  He's 25, and if he get's a contract in line with Bosa, he can be locked up through his prime pass rushing years.  The sticker shock is incredible, but didn't Pat Mahomes sign for $450 million (with like $160m guaranteed)?  The NFL is the biggest game in America and those TV contracts are RICH.  

So again, it's not my money.  The cap is not real.  Burns has done everything he can, and looks like he's ready to take that next step. 

Pay Up Panthers.

Preach Brother!  This is correct on ALL points!

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, d-dave said:

The facts:

Pay Up Panthers.

You should post more often. You preaching facts my guy.

• Pie 3

6 hours ago, KSpan said:

That ship has sailed. If they didn't trade him for the Rams deal last year, it isn't happening this year.

For two first rounders I agree. For one it isn't impossible.  

I like Burns but if he thinks he deserves the same money as Bosa that he's crazy.  Bosa was Defensive Player of the Year.  Burns wasn't even in the conversation.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You should post more often. You preaching facts my guy.

I appreciate the compliment, but I don't think I posted anything incredible.  It's just some of the takes here are REALLY bad.  I have to add my little bits here when I can before they are quickly forgotten for the trading insults. 😃

I'm also very busy this year.  Work keeping me on my toes!

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2