• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB School: Bryce Young - Week 1 @ Falcons

TheCasillas

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

Haven't finished it yet, but hard to get through it.  I don't see anything encouraging.  Staring receivers down, misplaced/bad throws, suddenly little to no feel for anticipation, bad decisions, etc.  

The sunshine and rainbows brigade keep wanting to cite it being his first game - outside of a couple of secondary players and maybe Grady Jarrett, the Falcons defense is ASS and Bryce looked horrible.  And again, outside of the injury AR looked better.  I think Stroud played better.  And we saw Cam dominate and take the league by storm from his first game on.  First game isn't an excuse, especially for a #1 overall pick.  You draft a guy #1 because they should step on the field and change the game in your favor from the first snap...

It's just very discouraging that every facet of his game that our staff felt made him the #1 overall pick over the other options are all areas he looked mediocre in for most of the game Sunday.

You obviously weren't paying attention. Or do you just literally want to be miserable 24/7 ?

Edited by csx
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 3

8 minutes ago, csx said:

You obviously weren't paying attention. Or do you just literally want to be miserable 24/7 ?

It's pretty obvious he didn't finish the video.

Overall vibe was he missed some opportunities, but he made good reads and decisions throughout the game. Second half there wasn't a ton of separation with the WRs, The second pick JT even said 99% of the time the cross is open, the safety just made one hell of a play.

There is a ton to like about the film, people are just being overly critical because the stat line wasn't great.

• Pie 5

5 hours ago, csx said:

Just one of those insufferable Stroud fans who is probably still butt hurt after pre ordering a custom made Stroud Panthers jersey before the draft because McCown asked him if he wants to hoop when he came on his visit.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 4

It was a good video.  I appreciate what JT says, but man, did Adam Theilan steal JT's dog, truck and girlfriend in high school???  The amount of shade he throws there is almost comical.

Regarding the 2 picks - the first one, Young absolute stared down his WR.  We know that's a bad recipe for NFL success.  The second pick was Bates just playing shallow.  You can see that Bates was playing the odds that Young was going to try to go short.  I'm not sure about the 95% always open, but Young learned how fast NFL safety's can be!

Basically, Young had his first NFL game with some real lumps, thanks to one of the best safety's in the league.  We have limitations in the WR room.  There were several plays where things just didn't happen because of the WR and Bryce.  We'll have a pretty narrow margin to win this year with the way things are right now.  Will DJ Chark change things?  Hopefully.  We'll see on Monday.

There were a couple of other plays I saw where Jessie Bates was in Young's head.  It's going to happen.  It's up to the staff to coach Bryce up and make adjustments.  In the 2nd half, Bryce pressed too hard, held the ball too long and tried to do too much. He's just not there yet and neither is the team.

If all you got out of the video was the BY is bad at football, then you didn't watch it.   Just watch the plays on mute.

• Pie 3

8 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

it's.

his.

first.

game.

if it looks this bad mid seasons, then I'll consider panicking. If it looks this bad by season's end, I will actually panic.

We could have sat him the first 3 to 4 games to let him watch. So we the fans will have to bite our tongues as he learns the NFL game. Next year if we see this type play. Then we can scream "TOLD YOU SO!"

8 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

For real.

"I don't see anything encouraging"...

What?

He praised the entire scoring drive pretty much, the crossing route to hurst where he came off his first read then went across to find hurst in tight coverage, the anticipation throw to mingo on the sideline he gushed about, the "oh poo screen" he liked.

He's a rookie and he played like it. There was some good and some bad. I seriously can't comprehend how everyone is writing this kid off after one game.

You wanna hear him poo on a player, scheme and entire team for 1 whole hour watch the Bears/Justin Fields video from this week.

• Pie 6

9 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Haven't finished it yet, but hard to get through it.  I don't see anything encouraging.  Staring receivers down, misplaced/bad throws, suddenly little to no feel for anticipation, bad decisions, etc.  

The sunshine and rainbows brigade keep wanting to cite it being his first game - outside of a couple of secondary players and maybe Grady Jarrett, the Falcons defense is ASS and Bryce looked horrible.  And again, outside of the injury AR looked better.  I think Stroud played better.  And we saw Cam dominate and take the league by storm from his first game on.  First game isn't an excuse, especially for a #1 overall pick.  You draft a guy #1 because they should step on the field and change the game in your favor from the first snap...

It's just very discouraging that every facet of his game that our staff felt made him the #1 overall pick over the other options are all areas he looked mediocre in for most of the game Sunday.

The better question is how are you a mod? Lol. 

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, cmichd08 said:

We could have sat him the first 3 to 4 games to let him watch. So we the fans will have to bite our tongues as he learns the NFL game. Next year if we see this type play. Then we can scream "TOLD YOU SO!"

There is no tongue biting on The Google.  If you sit him 3-4 games the narrative is why trade up to the number 1 pick if he is not ready and you dont want to play him.  Pitchforks would be out for Reich and Fitt. Then when he gets in week 4 and makes a rookie mistake we would be having this same conversation. 

Same level of misery, just in a different bucket. 

I personally prefer to watch his progression week to week rather than manufacturing a crisis on every miscue.

• Pie 3

46 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

There is no tongue biting on The Google.  If you sit him 3-4 games the narrative is why trade up to the number 1 pick if he is not ready and you dont want to play him.  Pitchforks would be out for Reich and Fitt. Then when he gets in week 4 and makes a rookie mistake we would be having this same conversation. 

Same level of misery, just in a different bucket. 

I personally prefer to watch his progression week to week rather than manufacturing a crisis on every miscue.

that is true, but we saw the same mistakes in the preseason we saw on Sunday. I just think a first year QB needs some watching before being thrown to the wolves is all. We didn't start Collins till later but that was then and today is today. Maybe he didn't study as hard during the preseason. We have another one on Sunday. We will see what he saw on film is translated to improvement.

9 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

For real.

"I don't see anything encouraging"...

What?

He praised the entire scoring drive pretty much, the crossing route to hurst where he came off his first read then went across to find hurst in tight coverage, the anticipation throw to mingo on the sideline he gushed about, the "oh poo screen" he liked.

He's a rookie and he played like it. There was some good and some bad. I seriously can't comprehend how everyone is writing this kid off after one game.

I haven't wrote him off.  I just said I didn't see anything encouraging because we spent a #1 pick on a guy touted for certain traits that were supposed to lend themselves to him not making "rookie mistakes."  And yet, he made more of those mistakes than the other starting QBs in his draft class, taken after him.  His advertised strengths were some of his most glaring weaknesses.  That is not encouraging.  Period.

Sorry I'm not drinking the kool-aid.  I want him to succeed, but that was not what a #1 pick should be playing like, when again, guys at the same position from his class outperformed him in week 1.  And not by a little.  Hoping for the best, but early returns were not good, and people here want to get in their feelings because I refuse to gloss over the fact a #1 pick should be a gamechanger and instead, he looked like just another cog in the wheel...  and not only did he not make game-winning plays, but he is mostly the reason we lost because of the turnovers.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1