• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers expect Bryce Young to miss 1-2 games (Athletic)

Samppson

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Who knows if he "signed off" on him or not? If he doesn't have roster control in his contract it ultimately doesn't matter. Hell, it wouldn't even matter then if Tepper wanted something else badly enough. After the fact, what is he to do if he maybe wasn't sold on Young. You gotta put up the front.

If this thing all blows up we may or may not ultimately get the truth of the matter. All I know right now is that it sure feels like anything football related under David Tepper turns into dog poo. As we continue to look like a floundering clown show he's rapidly becoming the only constant.

It's pretty irrelevant even though most of his thoughts about the position hinted at Young.  Regardless the guy we gave us future and current assets for needs to be successful for Reich to stay here.  Benching that guy because the owner wanted him and he didn't isn't a good career move.  Even if he gets his "I told you so" moment he will be fired again.  The owner apparently liked Young and everyone else claims to like Young.  We bet on Young and benching him because he "wasn't the one you really wanted" doesn't matter at this point.  "Faking" an injury to get him benched isn't a good move either.  

Young is without a doubt banged up.  We saw a DL roll his ankle on that tackle and he is clearly favoring his ankle walking on the practice field.  Could he play through the injury?  Who knows, but why risk it?  It could make the injury worse, develop bad habits for him and make him plan even worse.  We aren't in some playoff race where we need him to play through these injuries.  What we need is Young healthy enough to play as many games as possible this year.  I really don't think Reich is as complicated as people make him seem.  He is pretty straight forward IMO.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

So let me try to understand again. Everything Reich has said about his ideal QB described Young. Young was also the top QB in this draft by a majority of analysts, BUT Reich really wanted another player and is now benching Young intentionally to show his good he (a seasoned HC with plenty of experience) is without Young????

Welcome to the school of just making sh*t up and using that as the basis to make even more sh*t up. Brought to you by the Huddle mod team.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

all we got is the rumor mill.  It always suggested Frank likely preferred a Frank size QB.  Young was a Tepper guy.   No one knows though.  But everyone was going to shift language around the guy the team was going to end up picking.   There were 3 very different QBs.  Doubtful many had the same order of them in any organization in the NFL.  

But I don't buy this narrative Frank would have called plays for one and not the other.   They could not pry it from his old boring hands no matter how bad it got in Indy and he always said he would call plays here......very early on.  Way before it appeared they figured out who they wanted.  And it clearly seemed like they weren't positive who they wanted when they initially made the move up. 

You definitely pick and chose what rumors to believe.  They have stated Young was the one they wanted, but they did their due diligence with the other top QBs and the more they learned the more they liked Young.  That rumor isn't true though, but the one where he only likes tall QBs is true?  Why is that?  Did Reich not draft Sam Ehlinger who is 6'1" while he was in Indy?  You are focusing too much on the play calling comment.  All I was hinting at there is if he was so against Young he would be better off distancing himself from him and letting his OC call the plays.  I don't think that was the case at all though.  

Just now, travisura said:

Welcome to the school of just making sh*t up and using that as the basis to make even more sh*t up. Brought to you by the Huddle mod team.

There was a time when the mods here brought reason to a group of irrational shitposters. Now the mods are bringing the irrational shitposting to the people with reason

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It's pretty irrelevant even though most of his thoughts about the position hinted at Young.  Regardless the guy we gave us future and current assets for needs to be successful for Reich to stay here.  Benching that guy because the owner wanted him and he didn't isn't a good career move.  Even if he gets his "I told you so" moment he will be fired again.  The owner apparently liked Young and everyone else claims to like Young.  We bet on Young and benching him because he "wasn't the one you really wanted" doesn't matter at this point.  "Faking" an injury to get him benched isn't a good move either.  

Young is without a doubt banged up.  We saw a DL roll his ankle on that tackle and he is clearly favoring his ankle walking on the practice field.  Could he play through the injury?  Who knows, but why risk it?  It could make the injury worse, develop bad habits for him and make him plan even worse.  We aren't in some playoff race where we need him to play through these injuries.  What we need is Young healthy enough to play as many games as possible this year.  I really don't think Reich is as complicated as people make him seem.  He is pretty straight forward IMO.

Continuing down the current path this season has started on....isn't a good career move for anyone tied to Bryce Young.   This season is about developing Young.   And they are on a path of stunting and ruining it to open up the year. 

Frank has stuff to figure out that isn't Bryce Young related.  He needs to figure that out.  And figure it out this first 3rd or quarter of the season.   Because you can't develop and grow Bryce in this current version of the Panthers. 

you could follow any player and find plays that likely didn't look and feel good.   Young tweaked his ankle no doubt.  Half the starters probably got rolled up and fell on oddly too.  It's football.  That's every game.  Everything to date, indicates the ankle isn't a serious issue.  Because they would have Bryce up on it so heavily every day. 

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

all we got is the rumor mill.  It always suggested Frank likely preferred a Frank size QB.  Young was a Tepper guy.   No one knows though.  But everyone was going to shift language around the guy the team was going to end up picking.   There were 3 very different QBs.  Doubtful many had the same order of them in any organization in the NFL.  

But Frank I don't buy this narrative Frank would have called plays for one and not the other.   They could pry it from his old boring hands no matter how bad it got in Indy and he always said he would call plays here......very early on.  Way before it appeared they figured out who they wanted.  And it clearly seemed like they weren't positive who they wanted when they initially made the move up. 

Yep. I'm honestly not nearly familiar enough with Reich's pre-Panthers coaching career to draw any personal conclusions but all the talk about Reich leading up to the draft was about how he preferred big QBs. But then again, I mean all other factors being equal, I think everyone prefers a guy with prototypical measurables. Prototypes exist for a reason.

Lots of guys with playing experience prefer prospects who mirror them. Reich is 6'4". I'm sure he realizes full well how much more difficult the field would be to see for a guy without that prototypical stature. John Elway consistently swung and missed on QBs in Denver seemingly caring about nothing other than having a cannon of an arm because I'm sure he realizes full well how much more difficult many of the throws he made during his career would've been without that prototypical arm strength.

Meanwhile, you have Fitts who experienced a lot of success in Seattle with a QB who was the same height as Bryce Young and had similar (in theory) plus mobility and ability to throw off platform. Then you have Tepper who was famous in his hedge fund days of preferring genius or near genius level intelligence and Ivy League education in his hiring process. Well? What was all the hype around Bryce about? Exactly that. He was supposed to be a super processing football savant who bailed from Alabama, THE blue chip program of college football. 

Now does that make any of this the truth? Absolutely not. But the puzzle pieces certainly got together to make a compelling narrative.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Continuing down the current path this season has started on....isn't a good career move for anyone tied to Bryce Young.   This season is about developing Young.   And they are on a path of stunting and ruining it to open up the year. 

Frank has stuff to figure out that isn't Bryce Young related.  He needs to figure that out.  And figure it out this first 3rd or quarter of the season.   Because you can't develop and grow Bryce in this current version of the Panthers. 

you could follow any player and find plays that likely didn't look and feel good.   Young tweaked his ankle no doubt.  Half the starters probably got rolled up and fell on oddly too.  It's football.  That's every game.  Everything to date, indicates the ankle isn't a serious issue.  Because they would have Bryce up on it so heavily every day. 

"Everything to date indicates the ankle isn't serious" aside from the small face of team doctors telling them he should miss 1-2 games.  Everything else as in random Huddlers watching a clip of him walking on a field (in which he has a limp).  Walking on the field to get valuable mental reps is far from being "heavily on it every day." Look you are free to believe whatever you want, I just think people love spinning stories and having these conspiracy theories even when sometimes the obvious answer is sitting right in front of you.  Reich didn't want Young, Tepper forced the consensus top QB in the draft on him, and now Reich is having Young fake an injury to get himself benched.  Have at it.  

Just because he CAN play, doesn't mean he SHOULD play. 

If Bryce isn't 100%, then it doesn't make sense for him to go out there and risk REAL injury. Good call by Reich. Honestly wish someone would have done this for Cam, but you know, Ron...

The only problem I have with Reich right now is giving up the playcalling duties. It's not horrible, but it doesn't fit this team. And letting Thomas get a go at it can't possibly make things worse. Panthers are the worse passing offense in the NFL. Can't get worse than last. 

This is the perfect time to give Thomas a go at it, with Bryce out. 

• Pie 3

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

"Everything to date indicates the ankle isn't serious" aside from the small face of team doctors telling them he should miss 1-2 games.  Everything else as in random Huddlers watching a clip of him walking on a field (in which he has a limp).  Walking on the field to get valuable mental reps is far from being "heavily on it every day." Look you are free to believe whatever you want, I just think people love spinning stories and having these conspiracy theories even when sometimes the obvious answer is sitting right in front of you.  Reich didn't want Young, Tepper forced the consensus top QB in the draft on him, and now Reich is having Young fake an injury to get himself benched.  Have at it.  

There is no report that team doctors said Young shouldn't play for 1-2 weeks. 

as Frank said in his presser, Young's playing again comes down to 3 people.  2 of those people are Frank and Bryce.  

and reality is, nothing smells right.  And when nothing smells right, there is probably something there.  We can only guess. 

but what's safe to say, is Carolina doesn't presently have Bryce Young in a position to grow and develop.   And they need to fix what is around him before they can do that. 

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

There is no report that team doctors said Young shouldn't play for 1-2 weeks. 

as Frank said in his presser, Young's playing again comes down to 3 people.  2 of those people are Frank and Bryce.  

and reality is, nothing smells right.  And when nothing smells right, there is probably something there.  We can only guess. 

but what's safe to say, is Carolina doesn't presently have Bryce Young in a position to grow and develop.   And they need to fix what is around him before they can do that. 

https://www.panthers.com/news/moving-forward-through-uncertainty-at-quarterback-before-seattle

Reich stated he is leaning on team doctors more than anything and the next day it states Young could miss 1-2 weeks with his injury.  What doesn't smell right?  A DL landed on his ankle rolling it and it hurt him?  It's not bad enough to need a boot which is why it's 1-2 weeks.   You can make anything not smell right if you want.

"All three have a say in the decision, obviously, weighing most heavily the doctor, then the player, and then the coach," Reich said. "Because what I've learned over the years is A – I'm not a medical doctor, so trust what the doctor says; B – trust the player because players know their body; C – as the head coach, try to navigate and do the right thing for the team and the player."