• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Tepper is the worst owner in the NFL?

Zod

9 hours ago, TeppersEgos said:

Can someone bullet point all the wrong things Tepper has done? It should be known and we should add to it every time he does something dumb.

Literally everything he’s done in association with this team has been wrong.

You'd have a harder time finding even just one thing he’s done right.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 1

8 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I used to think that. I don't believe I do anymore.

Snyder is maybe the best comparison to Tepper, in the way that it seems there's always a "quick fix" and only he can make it happen. He is not in the league anymore of course, but he hung around for way too long, if that's what we have to look forward to as well.

4 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

Snyder is maybe the best comparison to Tepper, in the way that it seems there's always a "quick fix" and only he can make it happen. He is not in the league anymore of course, but he hung around for way too long, if that's what we have to look forward to as well.

Well Snyder made the mistake of becoming an enemy of the owners, which isn't a tenable situation.

The NFL wants all the wealthiest people involved as owners, so unless Tepper really wears out his welcome, he will be the owner until he doesn't want to be or dies.

We just have to hope he also doesn't move the team, as well. I don't think that is something that we shouldn't be worried about. Tepper has zero ties to this area. Even after buying the team, he still doesn't have any ties at all.

I believe the fallacy around David Tepper is that he doesn't want to win. I think that is a lazy and senseless argument. Everything that I have seen, tells me that he does. The man was upset and embarrassed at the Rhule press conference and it was clear during his exchange with Fowler. 

The problem is he doesn't know how to win. This is a man who made his career off of data and analytics and he tries to apply the same to football. If you haven't noticed the pattern, decisions are made from cumulative data, what other teams are doing, and what's trending.

I think Tepper can be a good owner, I don't doubt his willingness to win but I doubt his ability to put the right people around him. He is so driven to do what others are doing that he passed up the coach that gave him the most success he has achieved so far for an "offensive minded guy." He wanted a QB so bad, that he traded away a lot of cumulative value for a kid that many had doubts about. Of course, the freshly hired/fired HC and the GM with very little to no success is going to agree with him.  

If he wants success, he needs to put people that understand the NFL around him in the office and step back, learn and observe.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

I believe the fallacy around David Tepper is that he doesn't want to win. I think that is a lazy and senseless argument. Everything that I have seen, tells me that he does. The man was upset and embarrassed at the Rhule press conference and it was clear during his exchange with Fowler. 

The problem is he doesn't know how to win. This is a man who made his career off of data and analytics and he tries to apply the same to football. If you haven't noticed the pattern, decisions are made from cumulative data, what other teams are doing, and what's trending.

I think Tepper can be a good owner, I don't doubt his willingness to win but I doubt his ability to put the right people around him. He is so driven to do what others are doing that he passed up the coach that gave him the most success he has achieved so far for an "offensive minded guy." He wanted a QB so bad, that he traded away a lot of cumulative value for a kid that many had doubts about. Of course, the freshly hired/fired HC and the GM with very little to no success is going to agree with him.  

If he wants success, he needs to put people that understand the NFL around him in the office and step back, learn and observe.

I don't think I could agree more with a post than I do this one. Tepper is a new owner making decisions in a world he's not as familiar with. His willingness to learn from others, accept his mistakes and move on, and most importantly spend money is a glaring indictment of his desire to win. He'll bring success to the Carolina Panthers, but it'll take time as he learns what it takes to be successful in today's NFL. 

Snyder did not care about winning in DC. Snyder didn't even care about the upkeep of facilities in DC. All Snyder cared about was making money and he drove that franchise into the ground. He and Tepper are not the same. 

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

We just have to hope he also doesn't move the team, as well. I don't think that is something that we shouldn't be worried about. Tepper has zero ties to this area. Even after buying the team, he still doesn't have any ties at all.

It is a possibility, and will be going forward since there will be some sort of stadium resolution in the near future. 

• Beer 1

53 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Snyder did not care about winning in DC. Snyder didn't even care about the upkeep of facilities in DC. All Snyder cared about was making money and he drove that franchise into the ground. He and Tepper are not the same. 

Absolutely, in regards to the last years of his 23 year ownership tenure. There was a time when he would spend foolishly for big names at the end of their careers, and would seek out splash moves to promote the team. The team won 2 playoff games during his reign. 

It is reasonable to say he never cared about winning, and the big signings were all show to keep the dollars rolling in. It wasn't just about fielding garbage teams though. Some may not remember that he also sued season ticket holders at 1 point, and charged for tailgating and training camp visits, and let the facilities fall apart, and then think that Tepper would not or could not do that. 

If you think Tepper cares more about the bucks than than product on the field, then he could certainly be just as bad if not worse.

• Beer 1

20 hours ago, Zod said:

Yes, he is, and I honestly don't think it is close. 

The Panthers are a perennial expansion team. 

The one who runs Indy is much worse. Who even fires an HC before black monday. I play for Tepper before I ever for this clown.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1063949-peyton-manning-colts-owner-jim-irsay-to-blame-for-ugly-ending-to-manning-era