• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dear Coaches, Stop Coddling

Carolina Cajun

56 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I have no idea what's being called when you hear kill kill kill every other play

This is actually a good observation joking aside.  I didn't think about it, but I hear the kill kill kill constantly during the game, and now Im curious how many of those "kills" (changing to backup play) actually change to a play for a screen or a run instead of running the play called.  I dont have access to all his passes, but maybe someone can look into what plays/passing chart were the result of the "kill".  I think there would be some very interesting perspective into whether Reich is calling a scared game or if Bryce is audibling into a scared game.

• Pie 1

This is my guess as to the play calling system we seem to have.

We have the called play, and then an instant check. So the playcall is either two plays or the initial play is designed with a certain backup play in mind that "kill" activates. This seems to be the case and most agree on it.

Bryce is told to check his numbers, check if it's there and determine. 

The calls are designed as simple as they look and that is to not place Bryce in a position to lose us the game. It's safe for his sake. "If we lose at least Bryce won't beat himself up as bad, we set this up and cuffed him to it. If the plays don't work, then they don't work". 

They don't want to open it up and call a real offense because they don't think Bryce will handle it well if he fails.

If the above is true.....boys, we got a big fuging problem.

8 minutes ago, lightsout said:

We have the called play, and then an instant check. So the playcall is either two plays or the initial play is designed with a certain backup play in mind that "kill" activates. This seems to be the case and most agree on it.

The calls are designed as simple as they look and that is to not place Bryce in a position to lose us the game. It's safe for his sake. "If we lose at least Bryce won't beat himself up as bad, we set this up and cuffed him to it. If the plays don't work, then they don't work". 

They don't want to open it up and call a real offense because they don't think Bryce will handle it well if he fails.

I don't remember hearing kill when Dalton started

2 minutes ago, lightsout said:

dude, like you said, if thats true, that is HORRIFIC.  Forget the "He CrIeD" Stuff made by the fans, As I mentioned Darnold did the same thing and I dont think caring is a huge problem.  What would be concerning about that though is if they really dont think hes mentally tough enough to handle failure and or criticism.

2 hours ago, jfra78 said:

I have no idea what's being called when you hear kill kill kill every other play

Yeah this is what tipped me off today that Reich is likely putting the training wheels on Young for whichever reason. In a lot of these offenses they will call two plays, they play and then something to check into. Bryce was killing the play call all game in sounded like, probably to check into something safer.

More experienced QBs can audible out different routes from the line by what they see or change up their snap count. I don’t think Frank gives Bryce that much leash to do that.

It feels like Reich doesn’t think Bryce can read the defense so he’s like here’s the play, and this is what you do if you get scared.

1 hour ago, lightsout said:

Reasonable observations. I don’t entirely understand why we’re not wanting to open this up even a little bit more and am also concerned to the “why”. This was the Vikings and they gave us drive after drive to do something, anything in that second half.

Bryce was advertised above the likes of Baker and Kyler from a mentality and NFL acumen standpoint but Reich & Co don’t seem willing to diversify even within a limited playbook for him. It’s so constricting, defenses barely have to do anything.

What this staff is implementing just doesn’t add up to what you implement for a #1 overall pick.  Maybe if this was us putting in a third rounder in too soon that was meant to be developmental I’d get it. Something is amiss at all levels right now.

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Maybe it's not playing not to lose and something else. Like damage control. IDK, anything is on the table at this point. They are an embarrassment and there isn't a good way to spin it so it should be getting loud soon. 

I mean....if this is playing not to lose....

• The D 1

I’ll say this, and I know it will sound crazy. However, I see the same things from Bryce now that I saw while he was at Bama.

Everyone mocks Bryce as a “super processor,” but it’s really true. He is so cerebral and such a student of the game that he always knows what the “right” (see, safe) play is. The fact that he knows the “right” play gets in the way of his taking risks, albeit calculated, for big plays. He did this during periods at Bama, and it was infuriating. I also think Bates’ two INTs have caused Bryce to be a bit gun shy. 

All that being said, I believe Bryce will work his way through these issues. He is not performing nearly as well as Stroud or AR, but I believe he will get there. I hope he does, at least. 

Edited by Bama Panther
  • Pie 2