• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brock Purdy and Bryce Young

tukafan21

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Similar arm strength but the big difference is that Purdy has absolutely elite anticipation and ball placement where so far Bryce has looked pretty average in those categories too. I didn't expect that. I really expected Bryce to be the type of QB who could throw guys open with anticipation and ball placement while hitting them in stride to allow for maximum YAC. That just hasn't been the case as of yet.

I'd say also 3" and 25 pounds on Bryce. Plus 5mph more velocity I'd estimate

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

I'd say also 3" and 25 pounds on Bryce. Plus 5mph more velocity I'd estimate

https://theathletic.com/4864269/2023/09/16/brock-purdy-thighs-49ers/

They noticed that Purdy has very strong thighs, and this leads him to throw off his toes. But this also reduces his power. So they worked on helping him to throw using his hips rather than his legs. And it worked tremendously well. He was able to add 5 mph to his throwing velocity, which is huge. Usually this sort of adjustment only adds one or two mph.

So Purdy is throwing much harder. And that means his throws are going to tend to go further than he's been used to. That's why those big throws sailed. He's not used to having that much velocity.

23 minutes ago, chknwing said:

I guess they got lucky but man have the niners gone through a stack of qb's.

I think it was luck from one perspective, but they weren't hesitant to go all-in on him which should tell people that think that he's just a glorified game manager that Shanahan absolutely doesn't believe that bull.

19 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Pretty much. He would get traded or released if they do end up with a top 5 pick with their own 2024 first round selection I'd imagine. Unless they end up going on a tear and win several games. Then I think they'd probably draft Harrison JR to pair with DJ 

If Fields plays well enough the rest of the season to make them re-sign him as opposed to drafting Williams with out #1 pick, while I'm sure taking Harrison would be tempting, not sure they'd be able to turn down whatever is offered to them for #1 with a QB like Williams out there.

What they could do is try to swap with whoever has #2 and get what they can out of them and still take Harrison, but not at #1, they'd be able to make what they got from us for Bryce look like peanuts.

40 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

The sad part is #1 will be gifted by us.

Chicago fans have to be pretty damn giddy about their future.lol

What a coup.  Got DJ this year, then imagine getting Caleb Williams/Maye and Marvin Harrison Jr.  In back to back picks this coming draft.

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Were back-to-back draft picks.

Let that sink in........................

That has nothing to do with anything, they aren't playing the game by themselves and they certainly are calling their own plays, playing o-line, WR, running proper routes to create separation or making the needed effort to make the catches.

45 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

They have played well the last couple weeks, it's going to get real interesting as the more we lose, the more Fields will be very much playing for his job and his future.

He'll need to look REALLY good the rest of the season for the Bears to justify trading the top pick instead of taking Williams and then trading Fields to another QB needy team.

Can't imagine what they'd get in trade for that pick though

They will probably call us first

Bryce would look essentially the same on the niners. They took an under sized smart accurate qb with a weaker arm as a flyer in the 7th round. We traded the farm for those same attributes.  1 went to Alabama the other to Iowa st. That's the only difference.  If Brock played for Saban he would have been drafted in the first round too.

Edited by toldozer
  • Pie 1