• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Orlovsky with a message to the Huddle

thebdawg

8 hours ago, frankw said:

Honestly I assumed and part of me hoped Dalton would look like total asswater against Seattle. Because it would drive home the notion that our scheme and coaching are horrific and therefore absolve Bryce Young to some degree of this debacle. Andy surprised me though and in turn kicked up my concern level for our #1 pick a few more notches. I think our offense is certainly not good but I think the people saying our receiving weapons are completely awful are overstating their case to a degree to protect Bryce. There's as much of that going on as there is a certain level of overreaction to every little thing Bryce does. Both things can be true. As I said though I welcome the game where Bryce Young truly arrives. Hopefully that day comes before we've all eaten each other.

They looked better against Seattle because Reich altered the playbook per Dalton's request. Reich confirmed that in one of his press conferences. It seems a bit harsh to criticise Young for our limited playcalling in games he has started if it's by design.

Edited by Billy Goat

17 hours ago, frankw said:

Others are creating a narrative though. We are 0-5. Our offense has looked awful for a number of reasons but the truth of the matter is whether it is him being held back or the coaching staff being inept the best our passing game has looked was with Andy Dalton on the road.

You could easily make the case that the Colts look better with Minshew under center vs. Richardson.  They're 3-0 with Minshew starting/playing the majority of the game (due to Richardson injuries) and 0-2 with Richardson taking the majority of the snaps.  That's not a knock against Richardson...he has obviously looked promising.  That's an example of a vet outperforming a rookie but a team knowing that it's in their best interest as a franchise to put their rookie out there to take his lumps rather than "who looks better right now".  I doubt anyone in the Colts organization is surprised that Minshew is the more effective passer of the two, 5 games into Richardson's young career.

I know I know, "Steph Curry of the NFL" "Drew Brees Jr." "Most pro ready QB" etc. etc. but remove all the off-the-field hype and fluff and noise about Bryce and allow him to simply be a rookie playing the hardest position in the NFL.

• Pie 3

30 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

You could easily make the case that the Colts look better with Minshew under center vs. Richardson.  They're 3-0 with Minshew starting/playing the majority of the game (due to Richardson injuries) and 0-2 with Richardson taking the majority of the snaps.  That's not a knock against Richardson...he has obviously looked promising.  That's an example of a vet outperforming a rookie but a team knowing that it's in their best interest as a franchise to put their rookie out there to take his lumps rather than "who looks better right now".  I doubt anyone in the Colts organization is surprised that Minshew is the more effective passer of the two, 5 games into Richardson's young career.

I know I know, "Steph Curry of the NFL" "Drew Brees Jr." "Most pro ready QB" etc. etc. but remove all the off-the-field hype and fluff and noise about Bryce and allow him to simply be a rookie playing the hardest position in the NFL.

Before the draft just about everyone agreed Richardson would need the most time to develop out of all the rookie QB's. Now apparently that's actually Bryce Young. Meanwhile Stroud was apparently barely cognitively functional enough to operate a motor vehicle and he wasn't enough of a leader.

As far as this veteran grit I'm hearing about. The truth of the matter is CJ Stroud has looked as good or better than any veteran QB and he's only played a handful of games.

All this goes to show you that it's a good rule of thumb to trust your instincts and not fall into the traps created by media hype within the draft process. Many people here clearly fell into those traps. Now they want to get angry when faced with the harsh reality we are in. Well that's too bad. We'll see how it goes though. Nowhere to go but up from here.

34 minutes ago, frankw said:

Before the draft just about everyone agreed Richardson would need the most time to develop out of all the rookie QB's. Now apparently that's actually Bryce Young. Meanwhile Stroud was apparently barely cognitively functional enough to operate a motor vehicle and he wasn't enough of a leader.

As far as this veteran grit I'm hearing about. The truth of the matter is CJ Stroud has looked as good or better than any veteran QB and he's only played a handful of games.

All this goes to show you that it's a good rule of thumb to trust your instincts and not fall into the traps created by media hype within the draft process. Many people here clearly fell into those traps. Now they want to get angry when faced with the harsh reality we are in. Well that's too bad. We'll see how it goes though. Nowhere to go but up from here.

Well we're just getting bogged down by that outside noise/chatter again.  If you're not able to move past the pre-draft stuff, that's fine, but it's just wholly unproductive...which is why I couldn't care less about discussing stuff from 6+ months ago.  I'm more interested in the current and future state of the Panthers rather than constantly living in the past, which is why my posts revolve around evaluating Bryce on his own merits (because he's our QB) and his prospects for success as a potential franchise QB.  Rather than what so-and-so said before the draft and how other teams' QBs are looking.

I can't help but roll my eyes a little because if the team does something that you agree with, then to the crowd who disagreed with that move, your advice to them is "look, what's done is done.  Move on...no point in arguing about it".  The big examples being the CMC trade and the Burns non-trade last year - you were a big supporter of trading CMC and keeping Burns.  So people who wanted to keep CMC and trade Burns and would complain about it over and over, you'd tell them there's no point in complaining about it ad nauseum.  That Frank I can at least empathize with.  But the other Frank...oh boy...god forbid the Panthers do something he disagrees with, because the rest of us have to hear about it for months and months and months, if not years.  That poor horse is getting beaten to a bloody pulp. 

1 hour ago, TN05 said:

Does Bryce young look like a first round pick right now, let alone somebody worth two #1 picks and DJ Moore?

100% he looks like a rookie QB on a bad offense. He doesn’t look incapable.

That trade wasn’t made to make the Panthers Super Bowl contenders this year. It’s about the long term. 

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

They 100% look better with Minshew.