• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The glass is a 1/3 full optimistic perspective...

musicman

Yes, I am a homer and fan and will root for the team no matter what. But I believe I see things from the inside giving me a different perspective. 

I am a Scott Fitterrer fan, so let me get that out the way. I believe he has a direction but probably is dealing with an owners perspective, a past coach who wanted things a certain way, a new coach with a much different POV and is being judged on 5 games. 5 games with injuries with some top players on a team that was turned over (1/3) and entire new coaching staff. A rookie QB, who I really believe will be a top 10 QB in time. And draft picks are a chance no matter who you are.

The team is struggling, they are pressing and hopefully it's just a matter of time where we all start to see progress. But it's 11 guys being in sync for 5 seconds.  Coaches being in sync with players for 20 or so seconds before the play, reacting on the fly. BTW, millions are watching and judging. Most of the fan base would never handle that kind of pressure. Nobody wants to lose. 

The argument is they are paid millions and it's true. But don't you think they want to play better and win? Certain people can perform or even excel under pressure, but most don't. But from a players perspective they only have 1 or 2 contracts to make some money before their careers are over. The money, the fame will be gone but the side effects (long term injuries) stay with them forever. They love the limelight and are made to be gladiators as a spectacle and that is pressure not matter how much you get paid. But trust me, they do want to win. Nobody likes losing.

I say this to say they have plan. A young QB, an O-line (that is struggling because of injuries and maybe a new blocking philosophy) and the loss of our #1 WR in the trade. Injuries on defense (just Horn, Shaq and Ajax) make a significant impact. They need a couple of players and a decent draft or 2 for them to become an annually solid team with a chance to be in the playoffs every year. But FA has put a dent in the typical development plan. It's a win now league from players wanting a lot of money, the fans (and ownership) wanting to win now. It's also become a business (owners and players). Fans can complain about their team but they'll play fantasy football and pick other players from other teams. No loyalty either. Everybody is out for themselves. Like others, I really liked CMC. I understand the trade. He did have injuries and we got what we could when we could. Now, he's healthy and playing great again (and I am happy for him). It's hindsight. What happened he got hurt again and then the trade looks great. It's a chance no matter what you do.

What happen to the traditional fan that just liked the team no matter what? If we suck, still root and hope it changes. Complain, I get it. The team had struggled for years. But just like age and injuries (Cam) changed our team projection, it's even tougher now. I see the possibility of this changing. Getting a few guys back from injuries and hope that some young guys take the next step. BTW, the draft is a gamble no matter what slot you get. Look at Brock Purdy and for that matter Tom Brady compared to all the first round busts or ones that just didn't pan out. Is that on the guys/team that drafts them? No. It's a gamble and if it was full proof, everybody would be getting it right. 

The glass is a 1/3 full and we probably weren't going to the playoffs this year but we wanted to start playing better, or at least consistently. That's greatness - consistency. It takes time and maybe it doesn't happen, but I believe it will. I like to think i see the 5 steps process (nut things have to fall correctly to get there). I just don't know when and nobody does. 

Bash me all you want, I spoke my mind. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

I can respect your resolve. Not going to bash you just for being optimistic.

I will say however I do not follow how anyone can look at Scott Fitterer’s resume here and say "I'm a fan of that can I have some more". He's below Marty Hurney at this point and whew buddy that's saying plenty.

We need a fresh start.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

I can respect your resolve. Not going to bash you just for being optimistic.

I will say however I do not follow how anyone can look at Scott Fitterer’s resume here and say "I'm a fan of that can I have some more". He's below Marty Hurney at this point and whew buddy that's saying plenty.

We need a fresh start.

Both Hurney and Gettleman would be huge upgrades from Fitterer at this point.

Let that sink in.

The personnel moves with Rhule as GM may have actually been better than with Fitterer. 

Let that sink in.

#Fittmagic

• Pie 4