• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Bandwagon, Deep Throws

RumHam

I'm accepting he's here for the long run because he is. Will have to deal with it and when everything goes right, he looks really good, but it rarely goes right. He poo the bed in the second half yesterday but a lot of that can be attributed to playcalling. Strangely, i wanted some screens to change things up yesterday.

Here's the elephant in the room, the deep throws. Again, dude isn't a pocket passer. Anytime he throws for more than ten yards, he's doing the Flutie leap. This affects both power and accuracy. The only way to alleviate this is to get his ass out of the pocket with designed deep crosses. The decisions are right, he (i guess) can see the man-to-man coverage but the ball is never close. Much like Cam his last few years here. The throw to Hurst was the right throw (terrible fuging play call at the time) but it's not even close. Gotta be able to plant your feet and he's shotputting this poo. Maybe Frank will figure that poo out. Clearly they don't want him using his feet (maybe Tepper doesn't to protect investment) and that has been trickled down.

• Pie 1

It's really not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Certainly not Bridgewater bad where we have to take the deep ball out of the playbook. He's overthrowing these guys by a couple of strides a lot of the time, that doesn't look like someone who struggles with arm strength to me. Faster recievers or better chemistry with them and more of those are caught. Hurst probably catches that 4th down toss for a TD if he wasn't held up.

We have no one who can get seperation and no threat for 50/50 balls so Bryce's timing has to perfect to have a chance deep. It hasn't been but I'm not worried about his ability to throw downfield. 

• Pie 2

We can blame whomever we want for the time being but through the second half of the season we have to get some semblance of a deep ball connection with our #1 pick. It shouldn't be controversial or considered piling on to suggest.

And the chemistry excuse went out the window months ago. We are saying the same things now that we said back in camp when he was the only QB putrid in deep ball drills.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 5

4 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

You’re telling on yourself if your takeaway from the Hurst miss was simply “not even close”

What kills me is how many fans think Bryce threw that away.  It was on target and Hurst just didn't get there because he doesn't have burst and was knocked off the route.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

It's really not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Certainly not Bridgewater bad where we have to take the deep ball out of the playbook. He's overthrowing these guys by a couple of strides a lot of the time, that doesn't look like someone who struggles with arm strength to me. Faster recievers or better chemistry with them and more of those are caught. Hurst probably catches that 4th down toss for a TD if he wasn't held up.

We have no one who can get seperation and no threat for 50/50 balls so Bryce's timing has to perfect to have a chance deep. It hasn't been but I'm not worried about his ability to throw downfield. 

He's over throwing by a couple of strides, one of which is Chark, who's fast. He's having to leap to throw. He shouldn't have to. Looks at his selection and you see they basically are runny Teddy's offense. Roll him out of the pocket so he doesn't have to jump shot like Curry every damn time, it might work.

2 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

What kills me is how many fans think Bryce threw that away.  It was on target and Hurst just didn't get there because he doesn't have burst and was knocked off the route.

Oh I forgot we had Kelce. Then Bryce should have put it where he could have caught it, but then again he had to jump shoot. If he is able to plant and just throw, it's on target.

Ehhhh... He's had some nice balls that have plenty of zip. He certainly doesn't have a cannon for an arm but it's certainly adequate. Honestly, coaching is the issue. Outside of Thielen it appears we don't have any receivers who run crisp routes. There's a big disconnect in where receivers are and where Bryce thinks they'll be and six weeks in that boils down to a coaching problem.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Nah Bryce is gone after next year. I'd hardly call that long run.

He is gone 1 year after a coaching change. If the new HC runs a halfway decent scheme he will have to play in a formation other than shotgun around 10% of the time. That doesn't look to end well.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Ehhhh... He's had some nice balls that have plenty of zip. He certainly doesn't have a cannon for an arm but it's certainly adequate. Honestly, coaching is the issue. Outside of Thielen it appears we don't have any receivers who run crisp routes. There's a big disconnect in where receivers are and where Bryce thinks they'll be and six weeks in that boils down to a coaching problem.

I feel like the issue with the deep ball is more timing between Bryce and the receivers, coupled with the lack of pass protection. There was one deep shot to Chark yesterday that Bryce got rushed on that would have likely been a TD with better protection.

• Pie 3