• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Bandwagon, Deep Throws

RumHam

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Roll him out of the pocket so he doesn't have to jump shot like Curry every damn time, it might work.

I've been saying this all season. All of those guys from the same coaching tree (McVey, Shannahan, McDaniels, LaFleuer, etc ) call rollout/bootleg plays several times a game and they often result in big plays down the field. 

Our current playbook apparently puts little emphasis on those types of plays.

Successful deep passing requires time. Our pass blocking isn't holding up most of the time. If Carolina plans to ride with Bryce, they're going to haver to build a wall of pass blocking lineman in front of him. Even the 2nd string guys will have to above average pass blockers. The interior has to be solidified so he can step up when he's passing from the pocket. 

59 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

herein lies the rub, if he want to move on from frank he has to accept a new coach might not want to hitch his wagon to a 5'10 180lb qb. 

I remember when Snyder wanted RGIII as badly as it appears Tepper wanted Young. The similarities in these 2 owners is uncanny.  They both suck. 

• Pie 1

I do know his first year starting at Alabama he was pretty bad at deep throws, but halfway through the season he got much better.  I'm not sure if it just takes him longer to get the timing down since he doesn't have a cannon arm or what the issue is.  Whatever it is, he and our staff need to figure it out.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

I just came here to say the same.  I said in the GameDay thread that I remember telling some friends that aren't Panther fans that Teddy was by far the most frustrating QB we've ever had to watch week to week, mostly because he was so risk averse so he defaulted to check downs on the regular.  I have to amend that...  Bryce has now supplanted him in that spot, because having watched both, Teddy didn't want to throw deep, but he very infrequently would and was capable of hitting them...  he at least was close when he attempted.  I think yesterday was the first or second attempt of 20+ yards Bryce has attempted in like 3 weeks, and again, none of them are close.

I also said in the GameDay thread that so many of the things people are blaming his troubles on are a result of his inability to attempt and complete deep throws to stretch the defenses, so they're able to compress the field into about a 15 x 15 yard box.  And the same football experts that find constant excuses for Bryce and his issues amazingly struggle to see that the lack of a threat of a deep pass compresses the field which makes routes harder to run in that space, the run game impossible to get going bc they stack the box, and it allows them to be more aggressive in rushing the passer which affects the OL.

yeah, you can still pull up most of the next gen passing charts while Teddy was with Carolina.....and Teddy was SUPER risk adverse as you said.    

But if you look like a checkdown QB when compared to Teddy Bridgewater....you got problems.  We got problems. 

39 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

IMG_5648.gif.d768cca1310dfe013252dd330765f01c.gifAmazing what a QB can do with a clean pocket.

There is a long list of guys who looked great in college and it just didn't translate to the NFL for whatever reason. We've all seen the college highlights. They don't matter anymore in our context. If you're a Bama fan or college football fan wanting to talk about the college player, fully relevant. As it pertains to the Panthers currently? Couldn't possibly be more irrelevant. We are now watching him play in the NFL. That's what's relevant this point. The deep balls have been rare and when they have been thrown they've been terrible. That's just the harsh current reality.

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

His longest pass completes traveled 33 yards in the air. That's... lemme check... dead last in the NFL.

His average in air distance is 6.3 yards. Lemme check again... yep, dead last.

Can you share your data?  I'm seeing Joe Burrow dead last at 6.0.  And Bryce is at 6.4, 0.1 behind Mahomes (whose longest completed pass traveled 35 yards).

I'd like Young to take more deep shots to keep the defense honest, but my biggest issue with him which I've seen since Week 1, is his indecisiveness and his lack of an effective internal clock.  Whether it's launching the deep ball or throwing the check down or anything in between, he needs to get the ball out.  Without watching the All-22 each week, I still can't say how much of it is our receivers being absolutely blanketed on every play vs. Bryce just not seeing guys/progressing through his reads.  I've seen enough clips of him not targeting open receivers to know that he is part of the problem, but I still think playcalling is the biggest issue.

image.thumb.png.946065058fc89ca30b87461a389baae2.png