• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do we have a scouting problem?

RevJ

9 hours ago, thennek said:

Definitely have a scouting issue. When did this start….around 2018. That is when Tepper bought the team.  The question is why? Why did the Panthers lose people when Tepper came here and why can’t the Panthers replace them with good people? 

To be fair we've never consistently drafted well. Our scouting has been a persistent problem. 

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Or did they just stop listening to the scouts?

Or they kept Hurney and hired Fitterer. I know Tepper has taken over the Rhule boogeyman role but I still can’t believe people in here think either of them made every single decision. I go back to why we laughed at Tepper to start when he said how good a college scout Hurney was. That doesn’t come out of the mouth of a guy who’s running the draft for the team. I think a lot upset with the offense and meetings with Reich have come from Tepper having way more trust in Fitterer and the coaching staff that people think. Thomas Brown started the point guard QB talk in February that everyone associates with Tepper’s interview in April.

Also, not really directed this at you, just worked with the Or. Tepper has still been a disaster because he’s hired very poorly and we are the worst team now that Murray’s back.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, WhoKnows said:

Or they kept Hurney and hired Fitterer. I know Tepper has taken over the Rhule boogeyman role but I still can’t believe people in here think either of them made every single decision. I go back to why we laughed at Tepper to start when he said how good a college scout Hurney was. That doesn’t come out of the mouth of a guy who’s running the draft for the team. I think a lot upset with the offense and meetings with Reich have come from Tepper having way more trust in Fitterer and the coaching staff that people think. Thomas Brown started the point guard QB talk in February that everyone associates with Tepper’s interview in April.

Also, not really directed this at you, just worked with the Or. Tepper has still been a disaster because he’s hired very poorly and we are the worst team now that Murray’s back.

I was screaming loudly for Fitts to follow Rhule out the door.

I just fear the real problem is David Tepper. We all talk about "final say", I think that's actually Tepper. 

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was screaming loudly for Fitts to follow Rhule out the door.

I just fear the real problem is David Tepper. We all talk about "final say", I think that's actually Tepper. 

Me too. I recall a bunch of talk from our top article poster about how Rhule was on the hot seat to start 2022, which makes sense since he got fired after 5 games, and how Fitterer was given the controls personnel wise in 2022. That’s why Fitt got all the credit for great value trade for Mayfield (before he played) and for building the OL.

The funny thing is that I think Tepper is involved but I think he thinks Hurney in 2020 and Fitt in 2021-2023 were solid. He gave Rhule full control. Does that sound like a guy who is making every decision? Why would Tepper hired a staff with so much experience and well thought of coordinators only to tell them what to do. One of the Reich highlights during the process was that he had his staff ready to go. Again, I think Tepper is involved but I think all the Tepper hate is coming from avoiding the truth that our GM and coaches are just plain bad outside of maybe the DC. The two main topics of recent discussion are always the point guard crap which Brown is on record saying 2 months before Tepper and the meetings with Reich. The meetings with Reich seem perfectly aligned with an owner of a 1 win team that was sold playoffs/one QB away by Fitt and Reich. I don’t know for sure but I don’t think Tepper is changing decisions.

the majority of us have put out better  mock drafts in recent years than the actual drafts that fitterer has produced and im not even joking 

I think most of us saw the Mingo and especially the DJ Johnson picks as at least a little strange. A lot of people here wanted Stroud before the media went on a blitz to convince us that Bryce was the better option in the 2-3 weeks before draft day. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

I think we’ve tried to do a money ball approach to offensive weapons this year . That accumulated with the worst play designs in the league and an Oline that can’t block poo has put us where we are. 

Jackpot.

How professional sports have bought into this sabermetric snake oil is beyond me. It's extremely rare to win with analytics, and I'd argue that it's impossible in the NFL due to the nature of the game upending your analysis. Too many players get knocked out or play at less than 100% consistently for analytics to be reliable.

Besides, front offices should be very afraid of leaning on analytics. If it were so great, if I owned this team I suspect that I could clean house and just ask ChatGPT who I should draft and sign. At this rate, the team's record would probably be better.

• Pie 1