• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who are David Tepper’s football mentors or influences?

hepcat

I know he asked both Kevin Colbert and the Rooney's for advice, among others.

Here's the thing, though...

I don't know sh-t about basketball, have no feel or instincts for the game whatsoever.

I could, however, go to Jerry West, Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Phil Jackson and whomever else to ask for advice and wisdom.

I could sit and listen to all they care to impart to me, write it down, study it, memorize it and make every effort to apply it to my life actions.

When that was over, ya know what I'd be?

I'd be a guy who was the recipient of great teaching but still has no feel or instinct for the game whatsoever.

Sometimes it just ain't there 😕

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Wasn’t he a minority owner in Pittsburgh? One of the most stable franchises in League history? Did he not have conversations with any of the Rooneys about how they have been so successful? 

I think we have an owner who thinks he knows it all and will literally have to destroy this franchise before he learns anything.

3 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Wasn’t he a minority owner in Pittsburgh? One of the most stable franchises in League history? Did he not have conversations with any of the Rooneys about how they have been so successful? 

I think we have an owner who thinks he knows it all and will literally have to destroy this franchise before he learns anything.

Too late 

10 hours ago, mc52beast said:

He was just new money. He wanted to ingratiate himself in league circles and the Rooneys let him and used his cash. 

I can’t imagine this imbecile had influence over anything. I’m sure they politely listened to him, made him felt “seen,” then laughed at the stupid asshole the second he was out the door. 

Dorothy Parker once said “if you want to know what god thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.” 

This should be a radicalizing event for the entire panthers fan base. Instead of being confused how someone so successful (lots of money) could be so bad at running an nfl team, ask yourself this:

how have we set up society in such a way that an imbecile like this became so successful?  And how do we address that moving forward?

short term? Just imminent domain the team. Would anyone, regardless of political affiliation, be against that at this point? If it could be pulled off?

Edited by electro's horse
  • Pie 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know he asked both Kevin Colbert and the Rooney's for advice, among others.

Here's the thing, though...

I don't know sh-t about basketball, have no feel or instincts for the game whatsoever.

I could, however, go to Jerry West, Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Phil Jackson and whomever else to ask for advice and wisdom.

I could sit and listen to all they care to impart to me, write it down, study it, memorize it and make every effort to apply it to my life actions.

When that was over, ya know what I'd be?

I'd be a guy who was the recipient of great teaching but still has no feel or instinct for the game whatsoever.

Sometimes it just ain't there 😕

The issue is that Tepper fancies himself some kind of savant which is why he thought he could come in and create a winning football team. He tore down the entire culture and infrastructure the Panthers had built under Richardson and replaced it with…..a miserable losing culture.

So despite your point that Tepper will never have “it” when it comes to football, he continues to believe he can learn. 

43 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The issue is that Tepper fancies himself some kind of savant which is why he thought he could come in and create a winning football team. He tore down the entire culture and infrastructure the Panthers had built under Richardson and replaced it with…..a miserable losing culture.

So despite your point that Tepper will never have “it” when it comes to football, he continues to believe he can learn. 

He legit thought he was going to be able to Moneyball this thing. Just out-analyze everyone else on spreadsheets and poo. It was gonna be easy. No more mediocrity. Bask in the glory of my brilliance vibes.

Well...

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

He legit thought he was going to be able to Moneyball this thing. Just out-analyze everyone else on spreadsheets and poo. It was gonna be easy. No more mediocrity. Bask in the glory of my brilliance vibes.

Well...

Tepper underestimated the fact that building a football isn’t the same as building a hedge fund. There’s a massive intangible human element to football that he clearly did not understand.

If we play his game and look at players and coaches as if they were individual stock holdings, we would assign a “price” each player is worth at any given moment like a stock, an intrinsic value. The problem with that model is, how do you quantify those values? Each one is so massively volatile because of the human element involved that you can’t use data or algorithms to predict their value or performance on any given day.

It is truly impossible to build a winning football team this way. These are real human beings, not money moving around on a speculative market. The soft skills build better football teams, and to his credit, Jerry Richardson did understand that. It’s a damn shame it’s taking Tepper this long to realize that, if he ever does. 

• Pie 1