• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What if, and hear me out here, Bryce Young is not actually some cerebral genius QB

electro's horse

4 hours ago, electro's horse said:

This blurb about Aidan O'Connell caught my eye

https://www.raidersbeat.com/respected-qb-coach-once-said-aidan-oconnell-is-the-most-accurate-quarterback-he-has-ever-coached/

On one hand you can believe that Bryce never had to learn how to adjust protections because he never had to do it at Alabama. But if he's so cerebral and understands the defenses (lol I know just humor me) why would he need experience with that? Moving offensive linemen around should be easy if you know what the protections are and where defenders are blitzing from. Yes playcalling bad, yes bad scheme sure. 

But we saw Bryce given a much freer hand earlier in the season with making adjustments and playcalls. He sucked at it. He frequently checked into nothing productive, or got sacked, or got a delay of game/had to use a timeout. They took away his ability to make those calls.

We know that Alabama is powerful in the sports media. We know Saban likes to get his players drafted in the first because it's a good recruitment tool. We know that the media will slobber all over Alabama QBs regardless of their talent (see Mac Jones' rookie year) or onfield behavior (Burns ankle). We've seen all announcers, including college guy Herbstreit, constantly go back to his processing, saying he has to move faster, and being shocked at the difference between Bryce in college and now. 

So what if it's all just bullshit? What if Bryce was an okay QB in a stacked offense? What if all this point guard nonsense was just a media narrative that benefited a powerful program/coach? Would certainly explain why Reich is looking like someone is pointing a gun at his family's head behind camera in every shot he's in. 

And if this was all just a media narrative to fill air space during broadcasts, it's no surprise Tepper's dumb ass fell for it. 

I'm sure the usual cohort of low tier posters are going to post the first tinfoil hat picture they can google, but at this point I'm starting to think it might be true. Bryce looks like he has no goddamn idea what's happening out there, or what the defense is doing, or where his receivers are going. Those two picks to Bates against Atlanta? Did the same poo against the Bears, they were just dropped. 

I dunno guys. Think we got less of a Tyrion and more of a Dopey.

What if our rookie QB needs a year or two of seasoning and physical development to flourish?

I can see a future where Bryce is weighing in at 210lb and dicing up opposing offenses. 

• Poo 1

56 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Regardless of whether he’s “cerebral” or not he’s tasked with playing on an offense that might be all-time NFL bad by the time the season is over. Oh yeh, and he has already had two guys calling plays in 1/2 a season and both of them have no clue how to generate points.

i know it’s really hard for the instant gratification generation and the hot take crowd to not trash Bryce but we really can’t grade this guy until he has legit weapons and a better than awful o-line.

Read my post above.

We give him an elite O-Line and stud WRs and his numbers improve. Is the improvement because Bryce is legit? Or because he has stars around him like he did in Bama? You judge a QB by being a success when times are hard. Remember how Cam was praised for carrying the entire team on his back? He alone won us games. Young has yet to do it.

And you don't become a football coach by sheer luck (unless you have a nickname like Prime or your daddy coached). You have to know more than us guys on a message board ... so don't blame the plays. Yes, there are good and bad coaches, and yes having an elite team and QB can make a coach elite (hi, Bellichick) ... but just as you want people to not just automatically rag on Bryce, you can't just say our coaches have no clue what they're doing. They do but they're working with table scraps.

16 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

What if our rookie QB needs a year or two of seasoning and physical development to flourish?

I can see a future where Bryce is weighing in at 210lb and dicing up opposing offenses. 

He may very well need a season or two after this one to gel. But this is the NFL. Do they usually get that? Sometimes ... if they show they are getting better. Bryce is going to HAVE to make some plays with the garbage team he has. He's going to HAVE to drive the team downfield a lot. He's going to HAVE to show a spark. He does that, we can go ... ok, he might come around. Right now he's slightly better than Clausen. Who also was good in college btw.

42 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Not the cerebral genius he was supposed to be and definitely not the playmaker they thought he’d be. It’s clear as day he’s never going to be able to extend plays with his legs in this league 

Take away those two things and what the hell is left?

A short Teddy B? Even that might be generous

• Pie 1

When you draft a guy #1 overall he should be really special in some way. Bryce is not athletically gifted, hell he’s below average really. So he must have some amazing intangibles- like his unmeasurable qualities must really be so intangible we can’t see them…at all…I guess

North Carolina Thumbs Up GIF by Carolina Panthers

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2