• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RB Coach Duce Staley and QB Coach Josh McCown fired

jamos14

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Holder has also said that Reich wanted Stroud. So did the others mentioned above as well as Adam Schefter back during the draft.

I thought Holder speculated that Stroud was Frank’s type of QB, as many others did. But I never saw anyone saying Frank didn’t want Young. 

• Pie 2

I made a thread about how there would be a random coach or scout fired because they were going to say "I told you so" to Tepper about picking Young over Stroud. I thought it might be McCown based on those sound bites we heard after Stroud's Pro Day, but Staley surprised me. 

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

Who cares. He didn’t catch 3 balls last year and he didn’t catch 4 balls this year. On half the receptions last year he had more yards than he’s had this year on twice the receptions. Basically, he’s getting shorter passes and his ypc went down 1.1 ypc this year. That’s a huge drop.

Chuba’s best year was 2022.

This, this is what we call an "agenda" kids.

You can't look at targets vs receptions to determine drops.  For instance Theilen has 100 targets and 77 receptions - did he "drop" 23 balls?  No.  Theilen has 4 drops this year.

Chuba is a better player this year than last, who finds himself on a far worse team.

My guess is Deuce was fired for one of 2 reasons... 

1.  Tepper did because he felt he had to in order to name anyone else the interim since Deuce was the Asst HC.

2.  Deuce threw a fit about not being named interim since he was brought in as the Asst HC and then Tepper fired him over that (and I wouldn't blame Deuce for doing if that was the case).

McCown is the interesting one considering how well regarded he was around the league as a potential fast track OC candidate.  Best guess is he never wanted Bryce and was never quiet about it inside the building, so this was just a natural parting point with him.

My only issue with getting rid of Bryce's QB coach is that it's only going to further hinder his development, which I don't put on the coaches so far, but on his lack of any even above average physical traits.

14 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Ok. I think we're talking in circles here. I guess my point is I did not see any notable improvement from Hubbard and especially Blackshear when it comes to their offense/RB roles that would make me think Staley was worth keeping around. The stats bear that out, you're saying your eye test tell you they are improved. I can't really argue with your eyes, but I'm not seeing this supposed improvement you are and thus I'm not surprised Staley was sent packing.

Yeah, Chubba is largely still just Chubba.  

We removed guys like CMC so you don’t see the glaring difference when Hubbard is in.  

Miles Sanders was not a good RB overall RB in Philly.  I spent half the offseason telling everyone that.  And so now people see him as better than Sanders as improvement. 

*obviously he has had some steady improvement while in the league.  Nothing glaring.  Just more reps because what he has always largely been…..now defaults him into the best playmaker we have thanks to Fitt/Tepper.  

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

My guess is Deuce was fired for one of 2 reasons... 

1.  Tepper did because he felt he had to in order to name anyone else the interim since Deuce was the Asst HC.

2.  Deuce threw a fit about not being named interim since he was brought in as the Asst HC and then Tepper fired him over that (and I wouldn't blame Deuce for doing if that was the case).

McCown is the interesting one considering how well regarded he was around the league as a potential fast track OC candidate.  Best guess is he never wanted Bryce and was never quiet about it inside the building, so this was just a natural parting point with him.

My only issue with getting rid of Bryce's QB coach is that it's only going to further hinder his development, which I don't put on the coaches so far, but on his lack of any even above average physical traits.

The big question is what, if anything, McCown has done in terms of coaching Bryce. His footwork is atrocious to point one thing out.

1 minute ago, Martin said:

The big question is what, if anything, McCown has done in terms of coaching Bryce. His footwork is atrocious to point one thing out.

Thats a great point.  His footwork was poo at bama when he was pressured and you would think that the team would have worked with him in the spring  until now but alas here we are.   If the damn guys on the huddle can pinpoint it you have to think damn nfl coaches are trying to correct it.

6 minutes ago, Martin said:

The problem is you can only coach up a QB so much, if you don't have the talent, you're not going to succeed.

I think the footwork is more on Bryce just not being able to play at the speed of the NFL game, if you can't keep up with the speed at this level as a QB, your footwork is going to be terrible because you're always a step or two behind where you should be anyways.

I'm not absolving McCown, I just think it's hard to judge his coaching job based on how far below average Bryce is in every single physical trait needed for the position.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

We just gonna gloss over the fact this was a Tabor/Caldwell decision and not Tepper?

Dave keeps making mistakes but to blame him for everything is just getting silly.

I don't believe this was Tepper's decision.

Mind you, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good decision.