• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Desirability of the HC job

AU-panther

Just now, Waldo said:

I have a hard time beliving Johnson wants to come here when he has his pick. I agree about MacDonald and he seems more reasonable expectstion. Not excited outside of Slowik maybe.

They would still have to sign up for the Tepper show. Who they can potentially get and who would come here is why I asked who the people the reporter was so excited and sure about. I get people would take the job but realistically there are 2 on that list i would like to see and I wouldn't hold my breath on one already.

The more I think about it, I don’t like the idea but if Harbaugh says “I’ll come if you let me pick the GM” that’s probably something we are looking to see.

Just now, Panthercougar68 said:

It probably was the highest paid and one reason Tepper probably was upset with how things have gone. Reich said in his presser thanks for Dave for allowing him to go out and hire who he wants because money was no object for the staff.

Yes it was form that one insider on good morning NFL. I know tepper gets and deserves lots of poo, but he tried with all his money means, to correct the Rhule fugup and field a real NFL coaching staff. I didnt foresee this 1 win outcome and I bought the pre-season hype.. It just didnt click and frank had no answers to fixing ANY of the offense problems. It was the same mind numbing play calling and design. He even had the bye and one thursday game to at least try different methods.  

2 minutes ago, BY9Franchise said:

He's burned over 100m in guarantees to Rhule and Reich...

I hope he let's an agency handle it.. but I'm sure he will have to back up the brinks truck

I was doing some research on those agencies and it’s very 50/50 across the league. They mainly help transition and get candidates laid out but also some “anonymous” nfl office types say they are the biggest crock in the world. They were able to get Tampa right with Arians. 

Just now, Panthercougar68 said:

I was doing some research on those agencies and it’s very 50/50 across the league. They mainly help transition and get candidates laid out but also some “anonymous” nfl office types say they are the biggest crock in the world. They were able to get Tampa right with Arians. 

Haven't looked into I'll take your word for it.. Arians was a retread who got dominated by RR I think signing the goat had more to do with the sb "success"

2 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

The more I think about it, I don’t like the idea but if Harbaugh says “I’ll come if you let me pick the GM” that’s probably something we are looking to see.

It could be anything, we just don't know yet. Tepper is desperate and that could happen. I don’t think Tepper is ready to let go of his GM. His entire time as Owner he has kept a GM he knew for the new HC hire. He has no idea how to clean slate the process. I wish he would but he hasn't been comfortable enough to try yet.

45 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

The first thing to always remember is that Head Coaches have BIG EGOs.  Aspiring to the position means believing that YOU are the difference maker.  The role of other people is to give you what you want.  The Panthers job is one where you are going to be paid well and get what you want.  All you have to do is win.  And with a BIG EGO, why would you doubt YOU are going to win if given everything you want?  

because Tep and his wife are meeting with you weekly to have a 3 way vote on what happens next

• Beer 1

Yeah, nobody's "hoping for the worst possible outcome". That's frankly pretty arrogant to suggest.

The reality is a lot of folks don't believing David Tepper, and frankly why should any of us? To this point, he's done nothing but fail.

I'd add that for every analyst who says that this is a desirable job, there are probably four or five who say just the opposite. And they don't just say so emptily. There are legitimate reasons,nearly all of them bound up in the owner.

Bottom Line: I and many others sertainly hope for the best, but it'd take an awful lot to get us to a point of expecting good things.

For some of these guys, this may be their first and only shot at being a HC in the NFL depending on how it turns out. How many of them are going to be willing to put everything they've worked their life for, and their future, on the line given the track record of Dave Tepper with coaches. The money is great and can be life changing, but do you take a single 100m payday, or maybe a 80m somewhere else but actually have a future in the NFL for the next 25 years. 

• Beer 1

On 11/27/2023 at 9:58 PM, Waldo said:

Hoping for failure or just expecting more of the same?

It's looking like a circus already. I would love to say Ben Johnson would save us but he already walked before firing the HC 10 games into his first season. That's hard to imagine even if I still wish it.

Also the link never mentioned any names specifically. 'A lot of people'. Greg Olsen so far came out as one. So who are the other people? Harbaugh seems like an obvious name even if he had his call with Tepper last year that didn't go far. Lots of certainty yet not one name yet.

This. I think all Panthers fans hope Tepper will jerk his head out of his ass and figure it out but most are out of the hope phase and into the "I'll believe it when I see it" phase.

• Beer 2