• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derrick Brown is our Franchise player

GPantherfan

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

Burns is our 3rd best defender in reality.

Missing Luvu for a stretch is a bigger blow than Burns.  

For sure.  Its annoying hearing all this drama abour Burns and an overpaid extension and not trading him when Luvu is also going to be a free agent after this season and as far as Im concerned he means more to the defense overall. 

• Pie 3

The hope is that we don't have to use the tag on Brown, that we can just agree to a deal.  That leaves us free to tag Burns and see what the market will turn up.  If we let Burns just walk after turning down what we turned down - both from the Rams and the Bears - Tepper should fire the entire personnel department.

Which may amount to firing himself, but that's another thing altogether.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

The hope is that we don't have to use the tag on Brown, that we can just agree to a deal.  That leaves us free to tag Burns and see what the market will turn up.  If we let Burns just walk after turning down what we turned down - both from the Rams and the Bears - Tepper should fire the entire personnel department.

Which may amount to firing himself, but that's another thing altogether.

I think the GM is getting fired anyway.  And probably Suleiman with him.   

Agree that signing Brown outright is important but an extension doesn't HAVE to happen this offseason; just would make the most sense.

I'd imagine Dan Morgan and Adrian Wilson will also go (but I'd be cool keeping both on staff).

I think Derrick Brown is a good player. But, if he is the best player on your team, then your team has problems. He has looked good this season, but for all of the tackles this year he only has 1 sack. That isn’t that surprising really…he only has 7 sacks for the 4 seasons he’s been in Carolina. 

I know a DTs production cannot be measure in sacks alone. A great DT is often doubled. This can result in more sack opportunities for other defensive lineman. Brown gets doubled a lot, but his presence doesn’t seem to make the other lineman on the team that much better.

The franchise tag for a DT in 2023 was $18,937,000. It should be closer to $20 mil in 2024. Is D. Brown really worth $20 mil a year? People are saying that we should try to move Burns for a #1 pick because he wants $30 mil a season. I’d move Brown for a #1 before I’d pay him over $20 mil per season, which is what the franchise tag will likely be in 2025, the year he is due to be a free agent. I think you can find a player to give you similar production but at much lower cost. If a team offered me a #1 for Brown in the offseason I take that deal in a heart beat .

• Pie 1