• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who else wanted Bryce???

AU-panther

Just ranking the QB's on who I'd want, compensation aside, it was Richardson, Stroud, Levis, Young.

Once we made the trade though, it had to be Stroud or Young because Richardson and Levis were much riskier picks, just higher upside, and you can't take that swing up to #1 to take the risk on either of them.

But once I watched more of each of the two, for me it was Stroud without question, solely on that Bryce showed no physical traits that could be even considered above average, let alone elite.  Sure, his brain may be next level (which it doesn't appear to be on the field so far), but you can coach up that side of things, elite physical traits are something you either have or don't, the other guys did, Bryce doesn't.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2

Ok guys correct me if I’m wrong but… Bryce was the consensus num 1 coming out of that draft. There is a reason why he came out as the first pick, and reports and news prior to the draft all pointed to that direction. He clearly had the best resume out of all college qbs at the time, and was places num 1 for his talents.

I’m not sure what most panthers fans are watching.. but it’s not hard to see Bryce as a talented qb. He legitimately has a lack of every single position to help him out… and he isn’t Cam he can’t just run every play when no one’s open! Someone correct me here… cus in my mind, the people who are putting the blame on our num1 pick aren’t looking at context correctly… or even watching the games!

I remember Bryce being the favorite early on, then it was 50/50 before the Combine, then Stroud was favored a little after the combine, and then it swayed to Young after his Pro Day. I think this has to do with the rumors that were flying around at the time that the Teppers preferred Bryce.  It wasn't concensus there were plenty of analysts and scouts that liked Stroud more.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, PanthersPain said:

Ok guys correct me if I’m wrong but… Bryce was the consensus num 1 coming out of that draft. There is a reason why he came out as the first pick, and reports and news prior to the draft all pointed to that direction. He clearly had the best resume out of all college qbs at the time, and was places num 1 for his talents.

I’m not sure what most panthers fans are watching.. but it’s not hard to see Bryce as a talented qb. He legitimately has a lack of every single position to help him out… and he isn’t Cam he can’t just run every play when no one’s open! Someone correct me here… cus in my mind, the people who are putting the blame on our num1 pick aren’t looking at context correctly… or even watching the games!

Cam had the benefit of playing in a system that utilized his talents with the Chudz offense. He then spent the rest of his career overcoming Shula ball but yea. It's been clear since the preseason Reichs offensive vision didn't take advantage of what Young excelled at in college. Will be interesting to see who we choose next. I'm hoping it's Harbaugh personally but thats probably a long shot

6 hours ago, PanthersPain said:

I dont know if you realize it or not, but Tepper said Young didnt need a ton of help and a big part of him being drafted was his improv. In case you havent noticed Bryce doesnt have the agility to improv very successfully at the NFL level. He gets chased down by DTs.

We have a QB with a weak arm who is short and can only really be a pocket QB because he is lacking in speed and agility. The problem is he doesnt have the height to be a traditional pocket QB.

I dont know who can unlock the special sauce to cure Bryces ailment or if it is even possible. 

IT is looking more and more like we drafted small Mac Jones/Teddy B at #1 overall after trading up for him. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 1

9 hours ago, AU-panther said:

So with Frank getting fired there has been several narratives that are being pushed repeatedly.

One of which is that Frank got Bryce forced on him.  This is largely based on some reports that Tepper had heavy influence in us selecting Bryce.  " Heavy influence" in itself is a pretty vague term. 

Did Tepper during the offseason tell the front office and coaches we needed to draft one of the top QBs and develop them?  That is very possible, we had tried the retread route for the previous 5 years, didn't seem to work.  By most accounts it was a pretty good QB class, and we had a really high pick.  Honestly a lot of the fans wanted us to go that route.  That would be considered influencing.

What if the majority of the front office and coaches preferred Young and Tepper agreed with that and said let's make it happen.  Owners usually sign off on big trades, especially to #1.  That would also be considered influencing.

What I don't believe though is that everyone in the organization wanted Stroud, but Tepper overruled them for Bryce.  That just doesn't make sense, as the article that Mr. Scot just linked from Albert Breer states that Tepper often knows his limitations from a football perspective.  I can't see him overruling the HC, GM, OC, QB coach, and Caldwell if they all felt like Stroud was better.  

Maybe if everyone was split, he was the deciding factor, that would be possible, more probably was that the majority liked Young and it wasn't so much Tepper influencing them to choose Young, but them influencing Tepper to prefer Young.  Once all the parties presented the arguments for both Tepper could have preferred Young, that is very possible.   If anythign Tepper's influence was more to go "get your guy" and their guy being Young.

There is also a lot of talk about Frank liking Stroud, a lot of that is based on some guy telling Frank he has an idea of who Frank likes based on waht Frank preferring in the past.  Let me clarify this isn't Frank saying what type of QB he likes, but some reporter telling Frank that he thinks he knows what Frank likes.

Either way lets go with the Idea that Frank did like Stroud, maybe even McCown also, then who is left to steer Tepper towards Young.  If Stroud fits the profile of, what Frank likes couldn't you make an argument that maybe Fitt liked Young, Fitt was used to a successful QB in Seattle who was short, also one of the plusses for Young in most scouting reports was his ability to make things happen outside of structure, which is very similar to Russ.  Maybe the scouts preferred Young, maybe the OC?

It's not crazy to think the GM and HC were split on which QB to take.

"Good luck honey"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4Vk5QgwrUmWB0oOTFHua