• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reviewing Bryce draft projections, and a word on “flashing”

electro's horse

4 minutes ago, emhoward said:

Ok so if everyone now agrees that he shouldn't have been drafted where he was, what's next? 

Are you open to seeing Bryce with a new coach in a new system and a little more talent, and see if he makes improvements in year 2? Or are you so convinced of his bustness that you believe no matter who we bring in as coach he's not the guy? If you were the owner what would you do? Would you draft a QB with our first pick in 2024 (2nd rounder), bring in the best FA QB, what?

the only option going forward is to A) hire a coach that is going to build this team, not one specifically hired to "fix bryce".  B) Ride out bryce in 2024 and see what happens.  I suspect we know the answer already.  C) In 2025 go get another qb and then D)hope like hell we can be at least competitive in said qbs 2nd year and try to contend.

I really dont see any other option outside of bryce completely turning it around next year and quite frankly he simply doesnt have the tools to do so IMO.

• Pie 5

I think we are all in agreement that the Carolina organization made the wrong choice at QB and gave up way too much capital in doing so. That said, we need to slow down before we totally bail ship on Bryce Young. 

We're stuck with him for at least another year. The team needs to go all in on improving his situation next season. Adding a WR (or TE) who can get separation, better interior line protection, and improving the LT play are a must to not only better evaluate Bryce, but to also lay the proper foundation for a potential new guy to come in 2025 if BY fails to improve in 2024.

A large majority of next seasons success falls on Bryce himself. He needs to realize that he's not a good NFL QB. If he's going to have a successful career in the league, then he's going to have to work his butt off this offseason. He needs to beg Tepper to find him a QB coach who'll be hard on him. He needs someone to coach him on his footwork, his throwing mechanics, teach him how to play under center, and address, any other weaknesses in his game. As someone said earlier, he's going have to reinvent himself and become a new QB. Is it likely he'll live up to his draft slot, probably not. But, it ain't impossible. Bryce strikes me as the type of person who'll at least be willing to put in the work to get better, but he needs a lot of coaching and an offense that will maximize his ability.

Bulking up wouldn't be a bad thing.  He needs to get stronger to endure QB hits; and to also improve his ability to push the ball downfield with better velocity. Tepper, Bryce, and the new HC all need to enter 2024 on the same page and go all out to improve Bryce's passing ability because at the present time he isn't good enough to lead a team to the playoffs in a crappy division; and definitely not into championship contention.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its just nuts that his mechanics havent been cleaned up yet.  I mean if a moron like  me from new bern can see it how the fug can his coaches not?

Probably because it can't be cleaned up.  I'm pretty sure they know and have likely tried.  Most players can't overhaul all of their mechanics in the NFL.  Especially when those mechanics were the result of his limitations.

• Pie 1

If Tepper is really OK with moving on from sunk costs then we have to make a move at QB in the off season. It sucks, it's painful, and it will be difficult but there is no sense in moving forward with BY as QB 1. It is painfully clear that he is not the guy. Tepper and his low IQ brain trust made the wrong decision. Admit it and move on.

• Pie 3

It took 49ers 8 games over 2 years to realize Lance was a bust. So after next year hopefully dipper realizes he sht the bed and we draft no 1 in 2025 which we will if BY is qb'ing.... we're still in QB purgatory.... We all know the kid doesn't have "IT" Wait again till next year and let it play out....Thats all I have to say about that... 

22 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

If Tepper is really OK with moving on from sunk costs then we have to make a move at QB in the off season. It sucks, it's painful, and it will be difficult but there is no sense in moving forward with BY as QB 1. It is painfully clear that he is not the guy. Tepper and his low IQ brain trust made the wrong decision. Admit it and move on.

I agree but I think that Tepper will have his head in the sand for at least another season before he gives up on Bryce.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

Helmet scouting is so dumb. Texas Tech was a terrible place for QBs to become anything in the NFL until Mahomes came along. He probably got drafted lower than he should have because of that.

History shows majority of QBs that come from those schools don’t have successful NFL careers. 
As I said, you will have an exception every once in a blue moon. But it is exactly that an exception. 

I don’t know what is so difficult in all of this.

Bryce can be adequate when we get a line that holds off pressure for 5 seconds and get a couple receivers who can beat the jam,  immediately gain 3 yards of separation, and catch underthrown worm burners. 

I really feel that Tep uses analytics as cover for when his stupid decisions don’t pan out. 

Here’s my best analogy: He would double down on 20 because the analytics told him an ace is next…. Then blame the analytics when it inevitably fails. He completely ignores the obvious win so he can wow people with his unconventional approach… but the conventional is usually the conventional for good reason. It just works…. But it doesn’t work Dave’s way. 

Think I can get a custom jersey with #9 and Analytics as the name on the back?

4 hours ago, electro's horse said:

tl:dr all Bryce’s mechanic flaws were present at Alabama, he was just able to overcome them because of the talent. NFL is making them way worse. Stop saying “flash” potential. All he does is have moments where he shows he can do the bare minimum. 

On another board I asked how so many people missed the red flags on Bryce that we’re seeing, namely his footwork. It’s been interesting going back and looking at videos and seeing a whole lot of “but if there’s one thing….”

this is a really good one. Footwork starts at about 1:20

Key points 

1. Bryce doesn’t turn his hips because he struggles to see the field when he does

2. he stands on his tip toes, again, to see over the line

3. His drop back is about a step too slow

4. for someone who loves to throw on the run he’s actually not great at it

5. his mechanics cause an accuracy sink that didn’t really show up on his Alabama film too bad

6. he doesn’t have the natural arm talent to overcome it

the most important thing in this video is the guy says that the small things like not leading a receiver, not having feet set, etc are going to be magnified at the nfl level and boy howdy did he call that. 

This is basically who he’s always been. So if you’re holding out hope he blossoms into an nfl quarterback, it doesn’t mean going back to what he did at Alabama; it means creating an entirely new quarterback.

And a word on flashing

I see this being mentioned a lot here and other places, and even on national broadcasts, that Bryce is “flashing” what made him the number one overall pick x 2. 

what Bryce is doing is not flashing. Flashing is cam just hucking up sixty yard bomb to Steve smith on his first nfl drive. It’s showing something amazing or earth shattering. Something that gives you hope in an otherwise forgettable season.  

About 3-5 times a game, Bryce just makes an nfl caliber throw. These are throws I watched Levis make with ease two weeks ago. They’re throws that Joe Flacco can still make. They’re part of a basic route tree that someone like Tommy Devito is practicing. 

If this is flashing, he’s showing brief glimpses of competence. These moments are just times he can meet the job requirements. And he struggles to do this even with a good play call, as evidenced by his “bomb” to chark yesterday that was an easy TD if he had any arm strength.  That’s not encouraging. 

words matter  

This is all just stone cold fact.

I got ridiculed and scoffed at all off-season for suggesting that Bryce's arm talent was NFL average at best and IMO was below average. Hell, I was wrong too. His arm talent is well below NFL average.

I just don't understand how all the red flags were glossed over with this guy when draft prospects (especially QBs) are always nitpicked to death leading up to the draft.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Probably because it can't be cleaned up.  I'm pretty sure they know and have likely tried.  Most players can't overhaul all of their mechanics in the NFL.  Especially when those mechanics were the result of his limitations.

I'm not sure how hard we've tried. How hard can you really coach the owner's chosen one? I bet he got coached harder by Saban at Alabama than he has been here simply because Saban ain't afraid of stepping on toes.

• Pie 2