• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Burns 55th in league with 17 pressures

jamos14

On 12/4/2023 at 6:31 PM, Call Me James said:

Everyone seems to recognize he's an elite player except panthers fans.

He's probably going to get tagged. Signing him to a big deal is the least of our problems whether you're in the trade him or keep him camp

He is not elite.  He is good.  He really only has his speed technique.  That's enough to get him numbers, not enough to be dominant DE or LB.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Iceup said:

IMO Burns is a good player. He is bigger than when he first came into the league, and he’s been relatively durable since he came into the league. I do not think he’s elite tho. Very good maybe- but not top 5, probably just outside the top 10. He hasn’t shown up in big situations especially this year. I think we should get him paid but not Charles Johnson money. More like Mario Addison money. Maybe a bit more. I just hope we get something for him if he’s not willing to sign for a reasonable amount. 

CJ wasn't quite the pure pass rusher that Burns is, but he has power moves as well as finesse and was a top-tier run defender. I had no real issue with CJ's contract given the situation at the time (Hurney getting played like a fiddle) and always wonder if he still would have tailed off like that at the end without that POS Patriot leg whip in 2013. Never seemed quite the same after that.

• Beer 1

I feel like people are ignoring the fact that the Panthers are the 2nd-least thrown team against in the league.  Of course he isn't going to have high volume numbers when he rarely has an opportunity to play against an offense that has to throw the ball.

It is the same reason why the Panthers defense ranks 4th in pass yards allowed, even though we all know the pass defense isn't good.

• Pie 2

Burns has always been potential that was never realized. I watch every game and I don’t think I ever recall him making the play to seal a game or completely taking a game over. I may be wrong, probably am. I don’t ever recall a game where he completely wrecked our opponent’s plan. 

Top guys don’t need scheme. They don’t need other players so they can do what they’re capable of. They just make plays. Period. And nothing else matters. The announcers get tired of calling their name. Burns will show up in spurts, but almost never when it matters the most. Clutch. Heart. 

Examples since 2003: Jake, Smith, Prohel, Moose, Jenkins, Morgan, Peppers, Johnson, Addison, Stewart, Hardy (could have been one of the biggest game wreckers in NFL history) Davis, Kuechly, Luvu, Olsen, and many more. All guys who at any moment would take a game over, and there wasn’t anything anyone could do about it. 

Talent wise, Burns beats out most of that list, but it hasn’t come together. 

I like Burns the person, but Cut bait at this point. Take a third or whatever. Let him be someone else’s project. 

• Pie 1

On 12/4/2023 at 6:06 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

Im sick n tired of you Burns haters shitting on this dude every week. My goodness grow up!

I hope we give this dude 30mil a year just to piss off half the fanbase.

#InBurnsWeTrust

Considering his performance, we will give him $35 million a year. Because we do stupid things here of lates.

Brian Burns quit trying after the trade deadline passed. And it wasn't like he was trying real hard to do much before that.

The best we can do with Burns is wait for a compensatory pick when he goes elsewhere unless he suddenly finds a desire to play really hard for the team.

1 hour ago, Mage said:

I feel like people are ignoring the fact that the Panthers are the 2nd-least thrown team against in the league.  Of course he isn't going to have high volume numbers when he rarely has an opportunity to play against an offense that has to throw the ball.

It is the same reason why the Panthers defense ranks 4th in pass yards allowed, even though we all know the pass defense isn't good.

Now if he was showing a willingness to tackle in the run game... but no one is really doing that. 

11 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Just because the defense has been playing well doesn't mean Burns has been playing good or living up to everything we turned down for him. You guys want to harp on everything we gave up for Young because he's not flourishing in a severely flawed offense that has no foundational pieces to build on. Yet Burns is in the perfect system on a good enough defense with good enough players around him and not living up to everything we turned down for him, and some how that's okay and he gets a free pass. That makes absolutely no sense.

Well you can continue to hate on Burns. Im not focused on any defensive player right now. Most of our problems are players on the offense.

We can agree to disagree.

6 hours ago, Mage said:

Browns are the least thrown against team in the NFL.  Cowboys are the 3rd least thrown against team

Garrett is top 5 in sacks. 

Parsons is top 10 in sacks

It's only stopping Burns

• Flames 1

I still think Burns is a good player and an important piece to our future. Could he play better? Yes, but going into the Bucs game he was 3rd in pass rush win rate, behind only Garrett and Parsons. His opportunity is way less, the defense is never put on the field in a good position. We never have the lead and the offense can barely sustain drives. Burns doesn't have the opportunity to pin his ears back like some of these other guys get. Teams can just grind us down. This is a very bad team top to bottom. All of our players across the board are going to look bad and have down years numbers wise. 

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

Browns are the last thrown against team in the NFL.  Cowboys are the 3rd least thrown against team

Garrett is top 5 in sacks. 

Parsons is top 10 in sacks

It's only stopping Burns

I get what you're saying, but the quality of those opportunities are a bit different. Those are all around great defenses that are performing well, as well as their teams.

The Browns defense early on was just insane and the Cowboys defense forced so many big plays and the offense's firepower just forces teams to fall behind and try and catch up by making poor throws deep.

Some games those defenses absolutely feasted like when Garrett had his insane game when the Browns beat down the Titans or when Micah and the Cowboys terrorized Bryce. We don't get that luxury. 

This defense battles for field position until they finally get worn down. Teams can just march on us as the game drags on. 

Garrett and Parsons are way better than Burns right now, but if Burns was swapped for either of them it's likely he will look way better than he does with us. 

2 hours ago, panther252 said:

Garrett and Parsons are way better than Burns right now, but if Burns was swapped for either of them it's likely he will look way better than he does with us. 

Burns would 100% look better on a stacked team.  But Garrett, Crosby, Bosa, etc would all look better here than Burns does.  Because they are better and have more well rounded games.  Burns needs to be setup to an extent for his outside speed moves.