• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: “‘Hunger Games’ culture” at BOFA

SuperBowlBound

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

My guess would be temper saw the headlines about how Brian Daboll assembled his staff in New York and thought "hey, why don't we do that?"

Turned out to be a disaster. Hell, it's not even looking so good in New York anymore.

There are going to be 7-8 openings at the end of the year and we are going to be the last choice for most. 

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

This is why Scott isn’t marked safe from being fired, he’s had a bigger hand in this whole season then people think.

Yeah Tepper has his faults but people on Frank’s staff and Scott were trying to hide things.

Some people in here think the Teppers are some sort of masterminds calling plays, drafting the team and making every call. I think Tepper was fed a lot of bunk like Brown’s point guard analogy, which was probably to make DJ’s throw in not look so bad when GB offered pick 15 last year. He got fed that we were contenders, which was seen in the early Fitt and Reich pressers and that was also likely the story Fitt went with to CYA the fact that he said no to the Burns bounty.

I think Tepper’s frustration comes not from his masterpiece of moves not working out but realizing that he got fed a lot of stories, all of which turned out to be wrong and now he’s the owner of the bottom dweller of the league without a 2024 #1 out overall pick to energize fans and the team.

When you read all this poo, do you really think that Reich and others who felt the heat weren’t sending out blurbs to their media fans about Tepper to paint him as the devil? I still think Tepper’s been an idiot because he trusted in Marty, Rhule, Fitterer and Reich, but I definitely don’t think he’s this evil mastermind pushing all the buttons on poor Frank and Scott and this article seems to elude to the problem being the terrible results creating a lot of in fighting to CYA all the bad calls and bad performances.

• Pie 7

it’s probably not really as scandalous as it seems, you stick any group of men together in a competitive environment where their dignity is on the line and then things go south and people’s egos start being bruised, this is usually the kind of thing that happens. Especially in coaching, this kind of thing is present even when you’re winning. 

but the losing and the way they’ve lost-where the offense hasn’t just been bad, but legitimately dysfunctional, where a systematic disconnect exists between the coaches, philosophy, and players, along with the talent deficiencies, is going to inflame these issues to the point where something that usually stays private is now going public and making the situation worse.

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And this...

h’s efforts to boost Young’s confidence — some players viewed as overprotectiveness — continued through what turned out to be Reich’s final offensive play with the Panthers at Tennessee. Trailing by 7 and facing a fourth-and-6 at the two-minute warning, Young saw the Titans line up in what he believed to be Cover 0 — man coverage with no deep defender — and checked to a wide receiver screen to DJ Chark.

Chark caught the ball four yards behind the line of scrimmage and was tackled for no gain by safety Amani Hooker, allowing the Titans to reclaim possession and run out the clock. After the game, Reich said it was the right check by Young and that Chark might have gotten too far behind the line of scrimmage. A clearly agitated Chark insisted the Titans were not in Cover 0 and the Panthers should have stuck with the original play call.

A former NFL head coach agreed, saying the Titans fooled Young into thinking they were in Cover 0 before dropping their backside safety to the post area.

That the postgame spotlight fell on one of the receivers was not a new development. The group’s difficulties getting open has been a season-long narrative.

“I don’t think we got the brunt of coaches’ criticism. But I do feel like we do get a lot of the blame when it comes to the success of the offense,” Chark said last week. “Obviously, when you talk about offense, the first thing that we say (is), ‘You’ve gotta give Bryce weapons,’ and things like that.”

...is not a good look for Bryce 😳

Super processor my ass

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 4

Regarding Ben Johnson...

The Panthers need someone who can get Young untracked and playing closer to the level of Texans rookie C.J. Stroud, Young’s friend and former AAU basketball rival in southern California. Tepper again is expected to focus his search on coaches with offensive backgrounds, with Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson — who canceled his interview with the Panthers last year — viewed as a top target.

Johnson is a native of Asheville, N.C., who played at North Carolina. But it might not be easy to lure him to Charlotte: Some in the Panthers’ organization, according to a league source, have been texting Johnson about how complicated it’s been to work in Carolina this season.

While Tepper prepares to start another coaching search and Reich, Staley and McCown contemplate their next moves, the players and remaining coaches will try to avoid becoming the first 1-16 team since the NFL adopted a 17-game schedule.

“I can honestly say I don’t think (Reich) was the sole problem and everything is fixed now,” Chark said. “We’ve still got a lot of stuff we have to fix.”

Sounds like it might be more than just Duce Staley

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, ImfromClayton said:

It almost seems like the owner shouldn’t be making himself available to assistant coaches to complain about the head coach….

Good leaders tend to either tell people who do things like that to go directly to the person they have issues with or sit down with the two of them together.

Doesn't sound like Tepper did either of those things.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Tbe said:

“The Athletic spoke to more than 20 Panthers coaches, players and other league sources”

Woah….that’s a lot of leaks. Lots of unhappy people.

“Coaches said they believed other staff members were text messaging Tepper behind Reich’s back about issues they saw with the team. In one instance, general manager Scott Fitterer and an offensive coach went to Tepper with a coaching suggestion for the quarterback.”

What the actual f@&k. Tepper and Fitt are enabling that? Bunch of clowns. Scott needs to go.

“Tepper told Reich to fix the rookie’s footwork. Fitterer and others had told Tepper that Young’s feet were the cause of some of the Panthers’ protection issues. They believed Young wasn’t dropping back deep enough on his pass sets.”

Ok Tepp, we’ll just fix his footwork this week. Not hard at all. Good plan…

Frank basically said in camp that footwork would not be a major emphasis at first. Prob a mistake, but he knew.

Also, this stuff from Fitt and Tepp makes me think they are getting their info from YouTube ‘QB school vidoes’…lol.

If Fitterer and a coach are going to Tepper undermining Reich there is not a prospective coaching candidate worth having that would come to Carolina. I defended Fitterer at one time, but he needs to be gone too. Like yesterday. Until Tepperer turns football operations over to someone else this franchise will continue to be terrible. 

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Some people in here think the Teppers are some sort of masterminds calling plays, drafting the team and making every call. I think Tepper was fed a lot of bunk like Brown’s point guard analogy, which was probably to make DJ’s throw in not look so bad when GB offered pick 15 last year. He got fed that we were contenders, which was seen in the early Fitt and Reich pressers and that was also likely the story Fitt went with to CYA the fact that he said no to the Burns bounty.

I think Tepper’s frustration comes not from his masterpiece of moves not working out but realizing that he got fed a lot of stories, all of which turned out to be wrong and now he’s the owner of the bottom dweller of the league without a 2024 #1 out overall pick to energize fans and the team.

When you read all this poo, do you really think that Reich and others who felt the heat weren’t sending out blurbs to their media fans about Tepper to paint him as the devil? I still think Tepper’s been an idiot because he trusted in Marty, Rhule, Fitterer and Reich, but I definitely don’t think he’s this evil mastermind pushing all the buttons on poor Frank and Scott and this article seems to elude to the problem being the terrible results creating a lot of in fighting to CYA all the bad calls and bad performances.

That’s the point…he’s not a mastermind. He’s an idiot and easily fooled by coach speak.

It’s why his hiring is so bad.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1