• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Positive thread - 2003 Panthers memories

Gapanthersfan

That’s the season I started following football and the Panthers. I was 17 at the time and was told by a coworker friend to turn on the tv immediately because the panthers were blocking field goals and extra points left and right. I turn it on and sure enough I saw one fg get blocked. Had no idea how football worked then but I’ve followed the team since. 

• Pie 3

I went to the Colts game in the old RCA dome that year. Sat very top row and I believe both teams were 5-0 or something like that.  Kasay kicked the game winner in OT I think.  Cardiac Cats baby!!!

Interesting things about our 2 super bowl seasons

We opened the season with wins against the Jaguars both years and also beat the Colts by 3 in OT both years. So next time our season opener is against Jacksonville we should be back in the super bowl

Edited by toldozer

There's a podcast put out by the Panthers called "Cardiac" about their run to the Super Bowl in 2003. There are 10 episodes so it's more like an audio miniseries and the last episode was just released today so I'll be listening to it soon. Figured this was relevant to this thread.

Edited by travisura
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

That first game.  It's been a while but I think Rodney Peete started and it looked Dismal.  Fox sent Jake in.  I think he threw as many INTs as Touchdowns in that game,  but it was enough to win.  From then on it was on.  But it was that touchdown throw to Smith in the Bucs game that really made me believe that year.

52 minutes ago, Manna said:

That’s the season I started following football and the Panthers. I was 17 at the time and was told by a coworker friend to turn on the tv immediately because the panthers were blocking field goals and extra points left and right. I turn it on and sure enough I saw one fg get blocked. Had no idea how football worked then but I’ve followed the team since. 

Same here, I started playing football the following summer at 12/13 years old. That super bowl was the first full game I ever watched. I wouldn't say I became a Panthers fan right then and there but that game got me to start following the team and as I got older and more into football by my freshman year I was a full fledged Panthers fan and the only Panthers fan at my HS in NW Indiana.

Likewise, it was the first season I paid attention to football. I can't believe that back then, the only way I could keep up with games was to log onto the NFL website and watch the live drive charts. That's right! I'd spend 3 hours every Sunday staring at a chart on a chunky monitor feverishly refreshing the page, and then leaping in the air like I was in the stadium when I saw they'd scored a touchdown. I'd have the local broadcast on in the background in case they cut away to a big Panthers play. And if I was lucky enough, on NFL Primetime, the Panthers would make Chris Berman's highlight reel, and I'd get to hear him chant, "Daylight come, and you got a Delhomme!" I think I got to actually watch maybe 3 regular season games that year when they were broadcast in the DC area or on primetime. But I watched every post-season game, and I don't know if I ever felt higher highs than riding the edge of my seat the entire Rams OT, followed by the double OT X-Clown.

2015 was special, but my fandom has never matched, nor do I think it could ever match 2003. It's my Red Ryder BB gun. It was the combination of team, my age, the way we'd win games in spectacularly down-to-the-wire fashion, and the complete lack of cynicism I had. I hadn't been beaten down by life and the crushing disappointment of being a long-term Panthers fan.

It'll never be the same.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, travisura said:

There's a podcast put out by the Panthers called "Cardiac" about their run to the Super Bowl in 2003. There are 10 episodes so it's more like an audio miniseries and the last episode was just released today so I'll be listening to it soon. Figured this was relevant to this thread.

It's pretty good! I got hyped watching it

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1