• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Final Drive

Seltzer

8 minutes ago, Martin said:

Do you have examples of that something special? I’m assuming you mean things few other QBs can do?

I saw one, exactly one.  He has usually ONE a game.  That's the "flash" people keep referring to.  The sideline pass to Chark.  Great pass, but one a game isn't going to cut the mustard.

16 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I saw one, exactly one.  He has usually ONE a game.  That's the "flash" people keep referring to.  The sideline pass to Chark.  Great pass, but one a game isn't going to cut the mustard.

It makes me think of golf. When I used to play I always had one or two shots a round that were awesome, but the other 80 or so were just ok. 

• Beer 4

5 hours ago, Seltzer said:

That was the work of a franchise QB and a guy worthy of a #1 pick.  Incredible drive for any QB, let alone a maligned, rookie QB backed up against the wind and in the worst weather conditions imaginable against a talented Falcons secondary.

Unlike the litany of people on this board who want so badly to crucify this kid & ignore the almost comical level of dysfunction he has had to deal with this year, I'm not crowning him by any means.

It is still 100% valid & fair to say it was a mistake to trade up for Bryce.  I will never argue against that; I just vehemently disagree with the assertion that any other QB would have been justified for us trading up for given how unbelievably inept everything else has been this year.

We are stuck with Bryce for at least next year, and I'm neither a masochist nor a Bryce hater, so I am incredibly excited by this drive.

5/5 for 68 yards is objectively good for any drive, and almost impossible in the weather conditions out there.

Hope he can continue to build on this in hopefully better weather next week.

Could you snap a photo your cabinet full of participation trophies and upload it? I want to see the spectacle. 

1 hour ago, Verge said:

Bryce has a lot of iffy tape. He also has moments where you really see something special. Talent surrounding him and stability should help bring out more of that specialness.

You must mean “I” because “you” isn’t me. One or two nice things with a pass but they stand out due to their rarity. His running is much improved the last couple, but not special. I was happy to see it though. I don’t think people can see him right away when he gets straight upfield out of the pocket. Use it. 

I know the wind was a factor but his balls were wobbly as hell and slow as hell against that wind and made it to the target and past the defense by the narrowest of margins. 

There is a law of averages and it will get him on those types of throws, even though they worked for him today. I think.

Unless he can get more velocity on the ball, today was the top of the mountain for him. I don’t have emotion over it as far as he is concerned, that is saved for the people that put him here. It’s just what it looks like to me. 

• Pie 4

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

The Defence held them to 200 yards, 7 points and forced2 turnovers... and we have people on here crowning Young for leading the team to 3 FG drives (one of which the Defence gifted him).

Fun times.

I don’t think most of us are “crowning Young.” Without a toe tapping catch by Chark (where has that been?) it would have been just another Sunday. Where was the separation Mingo got on his catch all game? Whoever the next coach is we have to have some playmakers around whoever the quarterback is. We can only hope the next GM and coach will have some leeway to determine if we have a franchise quarterback or not and move forward. It was nice to beat Atlanta. 

2 hours ago, Verge said:

Bryce has a lot of iffy tape. He also has moments where you really see something special. Talent surrounding him and stability should help bring out more of that specialness.

Would appreciate your perspective on the moments / plays you see something special... Not doubting you, but rather, I think you're better equipped to judge that than I am hahaha.

38 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Would appreciate your perspective on the moments / plays you see something special... Not doubting you, but rather, I think you're better equipped to judge that than I am hahaha.

I’ll give you 2 passes today and 1 scramble that gave me a little hope.. 

1. the anticipation and leading the Wr on the screen to Marsette..

2. The pass to Chark was a rope back shoulder at the perfect spot add in a complete down pour and sloppy ball.. Pause..

3. The scramble up the middle breaking 2 tackles and angling his way for a 1st down.. Showed that he has wiggle and some pocket awareness.. Especially considering it was a slippery field and he isn’t a great athlete.. 

JMO..

Edited by recceice
  • Pie 1

14 hours ago, Bama Panther said:

As a Bama grad, I’m a Bryce fan, and I hope he figures this thing out. I was pleased with that last drive. However, I still want to see more out of his passes. The ~20 yarder to Tremble to get off the goal line took forever to get to him, and the pass to Minot was just a wounded duck with a nice adjustment (granted, the rain may have caused the ball to come out funny).

I do hope Bryce and the team can build in this. 

I was at the game and the one thing my son and I talked about was how long it took for the ball to get to wide open guys. Any NFL QB with some zip and our wide open guys had a chance to turn and gain some YAC. It was almost painful watching or should I say waiting for the ball to get to the receivers. The defenders who were way off got really close to making plays on some of the deep balls. I really enjoyed the last drive and we had a blast at the game because we won, but from a guy with a great view (row 13 in lower level, nobody in front of us), I still don’t think Young will be the guy. Yes, he had a great drive to win the game but the D kept Atlanta to 7 points otherwise we would have had no shot. It’s still really painful to watch an offense where if we are down by two scores, you can legitimately say the game is over. The D won the game, not Young. Young does not have an NFL arm.

14 hours ago, Seltzer said:

It was pouring with 30 miles wind gusts.  The Falcons didn't even want Ridder to throw at all after his braindead pick...  It wasn't a situation where you want your QB to have to throw in, especially backed up.

It was as bad of conditions as I've seen at BOA stadium.  There's only been a few games that were even close to this one... basically a tropical depression sitting over the stadium the whole game.

Were you actually at the game? I was there the whole game and there were no 30 mph gusts. The wind was barely noticeable. 30 mph gusts and we would have had rain in the face and our ponchos would have been flapping in the wind. I watched App State on Saturday and that was bad conditions, people couldn’t even hold onto the ball. We didn’t even have a turnover and Atlanta’s turnovers were a ridiculously inaccurate throw right to Woods and a great hit by Hill.

The conditions weren’t great because of the wetness but please don’t act like that was the monsoon we heard would be there. It was a constant, almost light rain for 3 quarters with a medium rain on and off in the 4th quarter with very little wind. Believe me, if it was 30 mph gusts, the almost empty stands would have been empty. I was expecting much worse weather than we actually had and other than a wet ball, the conditions were fine to throw the ball.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Amen. The takes around this drive are just crazy. Like, what game did people watch? This was barely NFL competence, if even that.

I was at the game with a great view and every deep throw we connected on, it was painful to watch and wonder if the DB starting 10 yards away was going to get there in time or not. A real zip NFL arm and Tremble and Mingo would have been able to turn and get up field. The only one that wasn’t like that was Chark on the sideline. That was a really nice throw but it was thrown early. The others were Young spotting a guy open and they were not open by the time the ball got there.

It was a great drive and my son and I had a blast but it was not ridiculous windy weather and the ball still took forever to get to wide open guys just like it has all year. I was glad for Young to get a win but it took an amazing drive to get us over 6 points of offense for the game. If the D doesn’t step up over and over, we don’t come close.

• Pie 2