• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF: Bryce Young 5th-best QB over last two weeks

TN05

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

TBH there are a lot of factors that could be at play. Improved offensive scheme, improved QB play, improved receiver play, lightspeed terrible opponent, etc, etc.

Almost impossible to tell with the one data point. Let's see how these next two games go and see if some trends emerge.

The eye test doesn’t lie. He is playing faster, even when things do break down he doesn’t hesitate like he used to. That’s significant 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

36 minutes ago, thebdawg said:

There he is, the #1 Bryce hater popping out of his cave to try and invalidate  an incredibly encouraging game. As everyone else is incredibly excited about what we saw and can hope for in the future, he clings onto his takes, desperately hoping for a Bryce pick 6 next week. 

There he is, the number 1 bryce apologist looking for anybody being objective of the guy we drafted no. 1 to be better than what he has shown so far.  Who cause things we are actually seeing on the field with our own 2 eyes "takes" like its some magic trick instead. Even with the coaching staff wanting to bench him for more development and the owner even made concerns about his play. I dont need to hope for a bryce pick six because i was never expecting so many of them based off what i was sold. And please stop it with the cave talk...i have never left, i was here after the texans win like everybody else being critical. Some of yall want something to grasp on to for gloating reasons so bad because you have been so let down by your hype train since the draft its been eating away at you that the rest of us was right about being skeptical about bryce. And thats honestly your problem not mine. Far as the game the other day i think i have the right to point out how bad packers defense was. Yes, Its a win for bryce to finally have a game worthy of a no.1 pick but going forward he still needs to replicate that against better teams. Thats it. 

2 hours ago, Thorrez said:

He had shown he is worth one more year, especially considering we really have no option. Worst case we ride him to the first pick in the 2025 draft.

I really don't think it a going to be as easy as riding "him to the first pick in the 2025 draft," because I don't think that he's as bad as has been displayed in this clusterfug of an offense (hence the "improvement" the last couple of weeks). I think that the worst case scenario is that he plays just good enough to keep us questioning whether he's the long term answer and that we end up having to spend much-needed draft capital to move up to the number one spot just like in the last draft. That's the worst case scenario. All that being said I hope that he proves that he is unquestionably the long term answer.

As to Bryce in general, I would classify my feelings about him as skeptically optimistic (which may or may not include his play the last couple of weeks) at best.  For me, there are still many questions surrounding his viability as a starter. He may have played his best game (albeit in a losing effort) this past Sunday, but I am going to have to see more of this before I can turn the corner about him being for real.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

I think stats don't often tell the whole story and I think that is true of Bryce the last two weeks - it's less to me about the yards or what not and more about the kind of throws he's making and plays he's creating.

It's still just a step but I went and watched his throws yesterday again and he just had some very impressive plays

• Pie 1
  • Beer 5

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I really don't think it a going to be as easy as riding "him to the first pick in the 2025 draft," because I don't think that he's as bad as has been displayed in this clusterfug of an offense (hence the "improvement" the last couple of weeks). I think that the worst case scenario is that he plays just good enough to keep us questioning whether he's the long term answer and that we end up having to spend much-needed draft capital to move up to the number one spot just like in the last draft. That's the worst case scenario. All that being said I hope that he proves that he is unquestionably the long term answer.

As to Bryce in general, I would classify my feelings about him as skeptically optimistic (which may or may not include his play the last couple of weeks) at best.  For me, there are still many questions surrounding his viability as a starter. He may have played his best game (albeit in a losing effort) this past Sunday, but I am going to have to see more of this before I can turn the corner about him being for real.

Going under the assumption that fitt is gone here.  While I dont think Bryce is a "leading us to the #1 overall pick" type of player I still see the uphill battle he has for 2024.  I still think this team has a ton of holes and might regress overall before we get better.  Luvu could walk.  Burns could be traded.  Shaq may be done and we still need some quality corner depth.   And I will not waste any more words about the offense as we know where the holes are.

I think with our cap space and limited draft capital it make take more then one offseason to right the ship.

Now Bryce and these players will be learning another new system while adding more (hopefully) skill players and olinemen.  There is also a pretty high chance the new coach simply sucks, it happens every year.

So with all of that said as we sit here today, yeah its premature but would you bet on this team winning more then say 6 games next year?  Then if that happens you have some big decisions to make.

and "skeptically optimistic" is a great phrase for young on 12/26. 

edit to say - if for some reason fitt is still here we have a really decent shot at #1 overall next year as that dumb fat fug doesnt know what he is doing clearly

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 2

If he shows these past two weeks are more the norm, I'll be ready to get on the train.

But to fully trust him, I'd like to see him continue it to next year and show this isn't taking advantage of a weak secondary and the elements. Hope to see more quality play these next two games and him building from there.

I don't think he'll reach the point where it's clear cut he was the best value at #1, but the next best thing is for him to be a consistent top starter in the league. If he does that, I'll be happy, even if the value for getting him is never there.

I've been burned by blind optimism in the past and with this team I'm learning to be more skeptical. I'd love to fully be on the Young train and I've loved what I've seen these past two weeks, but I just need consistency and a bigger repertoire of this play.

Edited by Saca312
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

If he shows these past two weeks are more the norm, I'll be ready to get on the train.

But to fully trust him, I'd like to see him continue it to next year and show this isn't taking advantage of a weak secondary and the elements. Hope to see more quality play these next two games and him building from there.

I don't think he'll reach the point where it's clear cut he was the best value at #1, but the next best thing is for him to be a consistent top starter in the league. If he does that, I'll be happy, even if the value for getting him is never there.

I've been burned by blind optimism in the past and with this team I'm learning to be more skeptical. I'd love to fully be on the Young train and I've loved what I've seen these past two weeks, but I just need consistency and a bigger repertoire of this play.

I can accept just being a top 12-15 QB at this point. The thing I don't want is him to be a clear and overwhelming bust like someone like Sam Darnold/Josh Rosen.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, NAS said:

The eye test doesn’t lie. He is playing faster, even when things do break down he doesn’t hesitate like he used to. That’s significant 

Seems like there’s only one free defender coming on some plays than 2 or more in the past. There’s breakdowns and then there’s jailbreaks. I doubt even prime Brady could succeed when an opponent’s 4 man rush gives the same pressure as bringing 6 or 7. Imagine being able to play cover 3 and get blitz type pressure.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1