• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russel Wilson being benched

jb2288

4 hours ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Payton does like his basic white midget QBs to make him look good 

I mean, I wouldn't call Brees basic. 

I don't think Payton likes Russell's fake persona and bologna (that's how I see it at least).   He walked into Denver and basically told Wilson to stop being whatever he is.   He was always annoyed with Wilson from day 1. Probably the contrast in what Wilson is selling vs Payton.  It's not about play.  Wilson has been playing well.  I think Brees essentially was an echo of Payton's vision and leadership.  Russell brings his own style that is just unique to him.  Which I can get people just not liking Wilson.  He might not be but he does come off as fake and annoying. 

36 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I wouldn't call Brees basic. 

I don't think Payton likes Russell's fake persona and bologna (that's how I see it at least).   He walked into Denver and basically told Wilson to stop being whatever he is.   He was always annoyed with Wilson from day 1. Probably the contrast in what Wilson is selling vs Payton.  It's not about play.  Wilson has been playing well.  I think Brees essentially was an echo of Payton's vision and leadership.  Russell brings his own style that is just unique to him.  Which I can get people just not liking Wilson.  He might not be but he does come off as fake and annoying. 

I read they asked him to restructure his deal weeks ago, he was shocked and no deal could be reached so they moved on to plan b, sounds like he’s gone in March. 

Wilson and Payton we're always predicted to be a poor match, but it had to do with system fit and personality, not skin color.

There's apparently a rumor now that Wilson could wind up joining Bill Belichick next season, and Lord have mercy would I want to see the "Hard Knocks" style video of that 😄

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The whole "oh, it's just about money" thing is a pretty dumb argument.

If they believed he was the guy they could build a consistent winner around, they wouldn't give a sh-t about that stuff.

Wilson is being benched because he's not good enough.

Not good enough for that contract but not bad at all

3 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Not good enough for that contract but not bad at all

I'm not sure anybody's good enough for that contract. But what's probably more relevant is that he's not a good fit for Sean Payton's system at all.

Payton runs a very buttoned down, rigid system whereas most of Wilson's best plays come from off platform improvisation.

Those two were never a good match.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Wilson thrived in a run heavy offense while using his athleticism to by time and make plays in the passing game.  I never really saw he get beyond his first read so its no surprise that with that athleticism fading and still not running through progressions he's getting benched in hopes another QB can run the offense more traditionally.

• Pie 1