• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Panthers Should NOT want Ben Johnson

Mills

The "Leader of men" trope is kind of cringy these days. Reeks of "Back in my day, we did it right" energy.

You don't need a leader of men, you just need a leader.

You can lead in multiple ways. You can be a Rah Rah hype guy like Cam Newton/Dan Campbell, you can be a stoic even keeled guy who doesn't get flustered like Julius Peppers/Bill Belichick, or you can be a damn savant who just gets how things work, so people listen to what you say because they know you know your poo like Sean McVay/Luke Kuechly.

A great leader needs to be strong in their convictions, but be flexible to change when necessary; able to manage people from all walks of life, and understand what needs to happen to get the job done. Being an X's and O's savant is a huge bonus, but those are the Belichicks, Shannahans, and McVays of the NFL and few and far between.

Rhule didn't know how to coach grown-ups and tried to lord over them. Same issues Josh McDaniels seems to have wherever he is the HC. They act like gods to be worshiped, not coaches that respect their players as Men.

Reich was a pushover, so it lead to disarray throughout both the Colts and Panthers - Colts had players gambling in the facility and missing meetings with no punishment, with the Panthers he was so stubborn with his offense that had become completely outdated in the modern NFL.

Rivera was a good leader, but too stubborn and set in his ways which was his downfall here and seems to be the same issue up in Washington.

It's hard to hire a guy who hits all the requirements of a great leader, that's why there are so few truly great coaches in the NFL.

• Pie 5

7 minutes ago, Martin said:

Who do some people think Ben J is not a leader? Is that the word out there? Have I missed something? We know he’s a spectacular play caller, so that one checks the box for sure.

I honestly have no idea about how he handles people. All we hear about is how he's a football savant and the next Kyle Shannahan. No idea if he can manage people like Shannahan does.

All I hear from Lions fans is that he's a giant asshole who kicks puppies and poisoned the local water supply, but that's all in jest because they don't want to lose the best coordinator they've had in decades.

• Pie 2

22 minutes ago, csx said:

Commentary I've heard questions why he's such a popular candidate. They have a nice offense but it's not some unseen juggernaut that should propel a 2 year coordinator to the limelight 

I mean I think it’s as simple as the fact that he’s had the Detroit Lions (of all teams) as a top 5 offense in his two years as playcaller. They’re 3 this year in total team offense and the only teams above them are SF and MIA whose playcallers are also the head coaches. Thats impressive. They are more talented offensively this season but he’s still cooking with rookies and last season with even lesser personnel. 

As for his leadership, I personally think the best way to try and tell how well a OC is as a leader is just seeing how well prepared his unit is on a week to week basis, especially when the OC is the actual playcaller. The Lions offense seems pretty prepared week to week imo. 

• Pie 2

Johnson is the hot name but let’s not forget he has a decent roster 

Who built it ?

someone, not named Scott Fitterer, has got to get the roster right for this franchise, based on the systems run 

I’m way, way past believing, keep this system on defense and gut the offense 

they need a GM who can build a complimentary roster not made up of the ‘hero ball’  (a La Cam Newton)  of the past and ‘let’s throw something on the wall’ to see if it sticks of the Tepper era.

that new  GM also now has someone else’s drafted QB to deal with.

if I’m Tepper, I’m looking at franchises that have built sustainable rosters for that GM, then worry about HC

however, we all know Fitterer is his ‘yes’ man and Tepper does like his shiny toys

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

Who built it ?

someone, not named Scott Fitterer, has got to get the roster right for this franchise, based on the systems run 

they need a GM who can build a complimentary roster not made up of the ‘hero ball’  (a La Cam Newton)  of the past and ‘let’s throw something on the wall’ to see if it sticks of the Tepper era.

if I’m Tepper, I’m looking at franchises that have built sustainable rosters for that GM, then worry about HC

however, we all know Fitterer is his ‘yes’ man and Tepper does like his shiny toys

So, you're saying......

The lions are hiring Ray Agnew to become their assistant GM. | Instagram

• The D 1
  • Flames 1

On 12/29/2023 at 10:46 AM, raleigh-panther said:

Who built it ?

I think its the opposite, I think Tep is Fitt's yes man essentially.  He's pretty much chief advisor to Tepper... just like Hurney was before they "parted ways". Tepper has little to no working football knowledge so his reference is the GM.  Hurney was kept to teach him the ropes and then he hired another advisor that was "aligned" with the HC to continue the work.  Also.... for better or for WAY worse I think that's the reason that Nicole is rearing her head this past offseason. Leveraging her words against Scott's... all just messy business. Time for a total reset in the FO.