• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A review of Scott Fitterer's drafts (spoiler alert: they suck)

TN05

Icky still has time to improve (remember Brown in his 2nd year), but he looks really bad right now. 

Wiffing on 3 drafts in a row is why we have the team we have. That and the fact that we’ve had the fewest draft selections in the league the past 3 years. Not that it matters I guess.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Wanderlai said:

Nothing but incompetence drafting. A guy off the street could have done better. 

A guy off the street could at leave have matched this outcome.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Icky still has time to improve (remember Brown in his 2nd year), but he looks really bad right now. 

Wiffing on 3 drafts in a row is why we have the team we have. That and the fact that we’ve had the fewest draft selections in the league the past 3 years. Not that it matters I guess.

Even his first year he was terrible at pass blocking, everyone knew he was bad at it, we picked him anyway

Let's take a look at the ACTUAL Fitterer drafts, as Matt Rhule was in COMPLETE control of the draft in 2021 AND 2022:

2023 draft:
1) Bryce Young (1st, C) - We may never know the reality of who was responsible for this pick, but we know for a fact Tepper was the one who demanded a trade to the top of the draft. There are reports about basically every scenario. Tepper wanted Young, everyone else fell in line to keep a job. Some wanted Stroud, some wanted Young. Even though I was firmly in the CJ Stroud camp, I guess I'm one of the minority who see good things from Young and haven't written him off as yet, 
2) Jonathan Mingo (2nd, D) - It was reported that "a WR really impressed the coaching staff" during the Top 30 visits, i.e. impressed Reich, Brown and Jefferson. They reached for a 4th rounder based on what coaches suggested, breaking a cardinal rule of drafting. Coaches suggest traits, GM's and Scouting Dept. get players.
3) DJ Johnson (3rd, F) - The Evero pick. The great Evero, the mastermind, the guy who had an UDFA level prospect ranked in the top 15 of EDGE rushers, and Fitterer panic'd when he was the last one left and drafted a college < JAG in the 3rd again based on a coach's suggestion.
4) Chandler Zavala (4th, B) - Oh look, a college prospect who gave up one sack in college but needs NFL strength and conditioning, but got on the field a full year early due to injury and lack of depth caused by Matt Rhule.
5) Jammie Robinson (5th, C) - He's contributing I guess? Yeah, he is, a plus for any 5th round pick.

Scott Fitterer needs to go, because the entire scouting department who was responsible for developing the "Big Boards" in all 3 drafts is still intact. It's by a wide margin the worst scouting department and pro personnel evaluation department in the league.... by a wide margin. Since he didn't blow that up, he needs to go and get someone in who can and will.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Wanderlai said:

Nothing but incompetence drafting. A guy off the street could have done better. 

Good teams hit big on the draft and stay on top, meanwhile bad teams like the Panthers fail big time when drafting and remain bottom feeders.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, Sniffrey said:

Let's take a look at the ACTUAL Fitterer drafts, as Matt Rhule was in COMPLETE control of the draft in 2021 AND 2022:

2023 draft:
1) Bryce Young (1st, C) - We may never know the reality of who was responsible for this pick, but we know for a fact Tepper was the one who demanded a trade to the top of the draft. There are reports about basically every scenario. Tepper wanted Young, everyone else fell in line to keep a job. Some wanted Stroud, some wanted Young. Even though I was firmly in the CJ Stroud camp, I guess I'm one of the minority who see good things from Young and haven't written him off as yet, 
2) Jonathan Mingo (2nd, D) - It was reported that "a WR really impressed the coaching staff" during the Top 30 visits, i.e. impressed Reich, Brown and Jefferson. They reached for a 4th rounder based on what coaches suggested, breaking a cardinal rule of drafting. Coaches suggest traits, GM's and Scouting Dept. get players.
3) DJ Johnson (3rd, F) - The Evero pick. The great Evero, the mastermind, the guy who had an UDFA level prospect ranked in the top 15 of EDGE rushers, and Fitterer panic'd when he was the last one left and drafted a college < JAG in the 3rd again based on a coach's suggestion.
4) Chandler Zavala (4th, B) - Oh look, a college prospect who gave up one sack in college but needs NFL strength and conditioning, but got on the field a full year early due to injury and lack of depth caused by Matt Rhule.
5) Jammie Robinson (5th, C) - He's contributing I guess? Yeah, he is, a plus for any 5th round pick.

Scott Fitterer needs to go, because the entire scouting department who was responsible for developing the "Big Boards" in all 3 drafts is still intact. It's by a wide margin the worst scouting department and pro personnel evaluation department in the league.... by a wide margin. Since he didn't blow that up, he needs to go and get someone in who can and will.

He took the job to be Rhule's GM and he is complicit in all of that. The only difference in 2023 is that Tepper was holding his leash and not Rhule.

• Pie 5