• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Relocation question....

Jmac

18 minutes ago, TEClemson53 said:

Same. My family is all Atlanta fans. I'm also a member on the Clemson rivals.com website and at max 5 of the members are Panthers fans. The rest of the board are Falcons fans / Washington fans. They absolutely HATE the Panthers / Charlotte / Tepper.

The Skins and The Falcons were pretty much the choices before we had the Panthers, lots of people root for the team their parents rooted for. 

My grandpa was a Skins fan.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

The Skins and The Falcons were pretty much the choices before we had the Panthers, lots of people root for the team their parents rooted for. 

My grandpa was a Skins fan.

I never knew anyone in NC that was a Falcons fan.  Washington, Pittsburgh or the Cowgals dominated.  And an occasional Forty Niner or Raider fan.

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

Saying that CLT is a big market is ridiculous. Our own fans don't even support the team enough, just look at the jerseys during our home games. There are much bigger markets to make money than CLT. Tepper is quick to hit the reset button on a lot of his assets. I think there is a bigger chance of relocating the panthers than Tepper trying to build this franchise from the bottom up again. If CLT don't make money, he'll move the team elsewhere. He ain't afraid to pull out on deals, look at the Rock Hill fiasco, leaving Wofford, leveraging to get a new stadium. 

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Saying that CLT is a big market is ridiculous. Our own fans don't even support the team enough, just look at the jerseys during our home games. There are much bigger markets to make money than CLT. Tepper is quick to hit the reset button on a lot of his assets. I think there is a bigger chance of relocating the panthers than Tepper trying to build this franchise from the bottom up again. If CLT don't make money, he'll move the team elsewhere. He ain't afraid to pull out on deals, look at the Rock Hill fiasco, leaving Wofford, leveraging to get a new stadium. 

The Panthers have sold out every ticket for like 20 years or more lol.  Jerseys are whatever but on paper the tickets are selling.  Charlotte is a fringe top 20 market and like others have pointed out almost every market ahead of Charlotte has a team already.  The area is also top 15 fastest growing cities as well.  It's just bad business to move a team under those circumstances.  The league is mostly a profit sharing league which means the other owners would basically be voting against their own self interests to move the team.  I really believe it would be more likely the owners vote out Tepper before they vote for a move.

And before people say "when has the owners vetoed a move" I would say that just like a lot of laws or anything they have a good idea before hand on if they'd have the votes so if they don't, it probably never came to light.  And when has a team been moved to a worse market?  Since almost all the markets ahead of Charlotte have a team it just doesn't make sense.

5 hours ago, Zaximus said:

The Panthers have sold out every ticket for like 20 years or more

This is not true. Remember how they used to share on the jumbotron their consecutive sellout streak every game? Those have been suspiciously absent for years.

As someone from Raleigh, I'd love to see the Panthers move there. I don't think it would be the right move though. Raleigh is just mini Charlotte from a population standpoint. Lots of growth, but that isn't always a good thing in this specific case. People coming from elsewhere usually don't become fans of the teams where they move. Raleigh also has one of the smallest proportional urban cores in the country while Charlotte's is booming. I'd much rather see the Panthers play where they do now than in the parking lot of PNC Arena.

It is true that the Hurricanes are much better supported than the Hornets, but that's not apples-to-apples because the Canes have been one of the best teams in the league for the last several years. Before that, the support was similar to that of the Hornets in Charlotte.

That discussion is complete fantasy though because there is a literal 0% chance the Panthers even entertain the idea of moving to Raleigh.

The very real discussion is whether or not the Panthers would leave NC. The answer couldn't be simpler. In the few years, Tepper will try and get a taxpayer funded stadium (or heavy, heavy renovations to the current) in Charlotte. If Charlotte obliges, the team will be there for at least 25-30 more years. If not, the team will be gone. There is no chance Tepper will fully finance a stadium here. He will either find a city that will pay for it or pay for a stadium in a glitzier location (maybe even somewhere that already has a team).

Any other discussion points (market size, fanbase, etc.) are completely irrelevant. If Charlotte wants the Panthers, they will have to pay for them.

Edited by IndyPanther

South Carolina is basically an economic dead zone. Charleston is the only real big area in the entire state. 

Suggesting that Raleigh is a worst location in Charlotte is just flat out wrong. 

Wake county has even matched Mecklenburg county in population. 

Charlotte has almost 0 personality as a city. I also don't think adjacency to South Carolina is as big of a selling point as you guys think. 

The hurricanes are also called the Carolina hurricanes, doesn't mean they have to be put in Charlotte.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

3 hours ago, Daeavorn said:

The hurricanes are also called the Carolina hurricanes, doesn't mean they have to be put in Charlotte.

But they were put in Charlotte.  And have been here 30 years. Move them to Raleigh and they'll lose a big chunk of their fanbase.

Ask the Canes fans in Raleigh if they'd still support them if they relocated to Charlotte. 

On 1/2/2024 at 2:10 PM, Jmac said:

Let's say baldy gets a wild hair and does try and move. Would we ever get another team?

Would the NFL approve of the move? 

How many years before we actually got another team here realistically?

Would MLB jump the shark and put a team here first?

Opinions please...

NO.

Stupid narrative... 🤦‍♂️

4 hours ago, IndyPanther said:

The very real discussion is whether or not the Panthers would leave NC.

Zero % chance.

There is no chance Tepper will fully finance a stadium here.

Why not?  Stan Kroenke did exactly that in Los Angeles.  The Johnson & Mara families did the same a while back when the new Jets/Giants stadium was built.  

He will either find a city that will pay for it or pay for a stadium in a glitzier location...

"...either...or pay for a stadium in a glitzier location..."  ??

Who/where?

There are MASSIVE frictional cost involved in moving an NFL franchise...

...what are the top-3 locations you suggest the Panthers Owner would move the team to??