• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coach/GM Updates

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

One of the best examples of analytics use from this past offseason...

The S2 😕

You can easily find very poor and very good examples of where analytics is used. Statistics and analytics in general can be twisted to whatever you want it to be. But if you know how to use it it is definitely a huge asset.

I wonder who leaked the CJ Stroud rumor? The Texans? Good for them if they did. Although, the Teppers were smitten by Bryce. But, it smitten obvious the coaches loved CJ. 

Edited by KBRed

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The S2 😕

That's just one test. Not exactly analytics at all. 

Like I said nobody even knows what it means but they have strong opinions.

11 minutes ago, KBRed said:

I wonder who leaked the CJ Stroud rumor? The Texans? Good for them if they did. Although, the Teppers were smitten by Bryce. But, it smitten obvious the coaches loved CJ. 

Scott was obsessed with Bryce. I remember his presser gushing over Bryce’s performance in the SEC championship 2 years before we were able to draft him. You’re not convincing me he’s not the underlying factor for drafting Bryce. Probably had a stack of papers with some analytic mumbo-jumbo to seal the deal with Tepp

14 minutes ago, Steelo said:

Scott was obsessed with Bryce. I remember his presser gushing over Bryce’s performance in the SEC championship 2 years before we were able to draft him. You’re not convincing me he’s not the underlying factor for drafting Bryce. Probably had a stack of papers with some analytic mumbo-jumbo to seal the deal with Tepp

It has been reported over and over by people with good access to the org (Jonathan Jones, Scott Fowler, who can’t stand Tepper, etc.) that it was an org wide decision. Fitt loved Bryce. The whole “Tepper made the decision and overruled everyone else” thing is not only wrong but pretty tiresome at this point.

• Pie 9

20 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I have no idea what the internal dynamics were but I do have a strong suspicion that whenever David Tepper thinks something that's going to end up being the move that's made so does it really matter who has the GM title?

It does on the pretty org charts…

/s

Edited by bythenbrs

48 minutes ago, Steelo said:

This is correct. Acting like Tepper sent in this choice is ignoring MOUNTAINS of evidence that Bryce was almost a unanimous choice between the FO/coaches. This was reported by some of the most reputable, reliable journalists in the sport. The only coach I think preferred CJ is McCown. Everyone else wanted Bryce.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The S2 😕

You are making the assumption that the S2 score is the entire reason we drafted Bryce.  In the absence of any S2 score he probably would have still been drafted first based on what the scouting told them.

Also based on this thread it’s pretty clear that those that complain about analytics the most understand them the least.

Alos if we were so analytics driven we might not have considered Young at all.  His measurables alone make him an outlier based on analytic data.

• Pie 6
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

You are making the assumption that the S2 score is the entire reason we drafted Bryce.  In the absence of any S2 score he probably would have still been drafted first based on what the scouting told them.

Also based on this thread it’s pretty clear that those that complain about analytics the most understand them the least.

Alos if we were so analytics driven we might not have considered Young at all.  His measurables alone make him an outlier based on analytic data.

Agree on this one. If we were heavy in to analytics we would not have picked an absolute outlier at #1.

37 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Yes, I find it so strange to see so many anti analytics people on here. Analytics would have said no to Bryce based on his measurable. Bryce didn't get a RAS score because he didn't participate in the combine but it would have been low. It was the scouts that fell in love with Bryce.

Edited by Pazhoosier89
  • Pie 3

1 hour ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

This is correct. Acting like Tepper sent in this choice is ignoring MOUNTAINS of evidence that Bryce was almost a unanimous choice between the FO/coaches. This was reported by some of the most reputable, reliable journalists in the sport. The only coach I think preferred CJ is McCown. Everyone else wanted Bryce.

Agreed.  So why is Dan Morgan even remotely being considered for the GM job?

Everyone hates on Fitts for our recent draft picks, but isn’t our top scout even more responsible? 

1 hour ago, Martin said:

It has been reported over and over by people with good access to the org (Jonathan Jones, Scott Fowler, who can’t stand Tepper, etc.) that it was an org wide decision. Fitt loved Bryce. The whole “Tepper made the decision and overruled everyone else” thing is not only wrong but pretty tiresome at this point.

And it has never made much sense.  Tepper has a lot of problems, but I don't think he's forcing players onto us.

If the scouts/GM/HC were adamant CJ Stroud was the guy to take, we would have taken Stroud.

I think Tepper put a lot of pressure on the org to go out and get a QB.  But I very much doubt he was telling them they had to take Bryce.

• Pie 3

18 minutes ago, Mage said:

And it has never made much sense.  Tepper has a lot of problems, but I don't think he's forcing players onto us.

If the scouts/GM/HC were adamant CJ Stroud was the guy to take, we would have taken Stroud.

I think Tepper put a lot of pressure on the org to go out and get a QB.  But I very much doubt he was telling them they had to take Bryce.

Truth

People are gonna ignore that video 2021 where he’s sitting down with Matt and Scott during the draft build up going over prospects and Dave says “It’s Justin Fields right?”, we did not take Justin Fields clearly.

Dave doesn’t care who the QB is so as long as it’s a good QB.

Edited by Panthercougar68
  • Pie 1