• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interview requests

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Kellen Moore?  Probably who we hire.  Not a fan of it though.

Why is the only place I hear about ANYTHING on Kellen Moore is here or random other fans who looked at Vegas betting lines. “Vegas knows something” he was “second” in our search last year. Hasn’t even gotten a virtual interview. 

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Here is what I think will happen:

Mike Vrabel:  If (or I could probably say 'when') the Eagles lose, they will interview Vrabel and offer him the job.  Word on the street (and I run the streets, as many of you are aware) is that Vrabel wanted more control in Tennessee.  That alone will cause Tepper to look elsewhere. 

So what would be my choice?   Call me crazy (not literally--you are not qualified--my psychoanalyst is the only person who did that with validity), but I have a short list, and these rank in order of my preference at the time.

Dave Canales is my dark horse favorite.  He worked under Pete Carroll at USC and he followed him to Seattle.  At Seattle, he worked with a smallish QB with scrambling ability who became all pro (Russell Wilson) and he is credited for helping turn Geno Smith into a legit NFL starter.  Moving on to Tampa Bay, he took Baker Mayfield and turned him into a playoff QB who has found success there.  This guy has the midas touch, and if he can do that with QBs, he can do that with the 53 man roster.  He is a college WR, and the Panthers need growth in that area as well.  Russell Wilson faced adversity (size) and Carroll went after him and the Seahawks dominated for years.  Geno Smith?  Who saw that coming? Baker in Tampa was a joke, but they found a way to utilize his talents.  Could he save Bryce?  I doubt it, but I would not put it past him.  I think he'd start with the OL.

Dan Quinn, DC Dallas.  I would take Quinn.  He is a locker room guy and he went to a Super Bowl (28-3) with the dirty turds.  His record there was over .500.  You might say, "But he is a defensive coach and we are going offense in Carolina?"  We do not know what we want or need.  As a head coach, it helps to know how a defense might attack the offense and its players. He is liked and has HC experience and has played games as a head coach on the biggest stage.  He is a winner, and I would understand and rejoice if he is the hire.

Frank Smith, Dolphins OC.  If we go this route, it is because we are "all in" on Bryce Young.  It would also mean we will probably be drafting an "after the catch" speed demon at #33.  Do I like the hire?  If we are going with Bryce, yes.  Avero's defense and Smith's offense could be a winning combination.

Ejiro Evero, Panthers DC.  Evero has proven to be an effective DC on teams with the lowest scoring offense in the league in Denver and Carolina.  The Panthers turned down a request by the Jags to interview him, so that means they are keeping him.  To me, that suggests as the DC, not the head coach.  They had plenty of time to interview him (following the hiring of Frank R) and they have already Zoomed with him.  With Ryan's success in Houston, maybe they go copy cat and hire him, but I do not have a great feeling about him.  However, Evero was without Thompson (LB) and Horn (CB) most of this season and was still pretty dang respectable.  I think the play is to hope to retain him and bring in a good HC who will hire his choice for an OC.

Mike McDonald, Ravens DC.  Along the lines of the new age, analytical coach (see Mike McDaniel, Miami), McDonald is from the "House of Harbaugh" having served as DC at Michigan under Jim and then Baltimore under John.  He is 36.  Not my first choice, he has interviewed in LAC, Atlanta, Tennessee, Seattle, and maybe one other team (going from memory). 

Ben Johnson, OC in Detroit.  I don't want this turd.  Demanding $15m, turning us down (probably smart to do so).  Goff was pretty good when he got him, and he developed a good OL and they added a solid WR.  Nothing that special.  I give Campbell the credit in Detroit.

Moore's not even a candidate.

As to Johnson, the 15 million demand story was bullsh-t. I don't see us getting him, but part of the reason I'm a big fan is because he's brilliant. He saw what was happening in defenses All around the league (specifically a lot of the Fangio concepts) and figured out how to beat them.

That's the kind of intelligence and adaptability that I value in a head coach.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Steelo said:

Why is the only place I hear about ANYTHING on Kellen Moore is here or random other fans who looked at Vegas betting lines. “Vegas knows something” he was “second” in our search last year. Hasn’t even gotten a virtual interview. 

Maybe you answered your own question.  One site has him the favorite in Carolina--I hope not.  What if they are not interviewing him virtually because they interviewed him last season?  I can't answer, but he is a name that is flying around with no evidence (as you state) only speculation at this point,

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Maybe you answered your own question.  One site has him the favorite in Carolina--I hope not.  What if they are not interviewing him virtually because they interviewed him last season?  I can't answer, but he is a name that is flying around with no evidence (as you state) only speculation at this point,

Vegas is making money off dumb people.

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Vegas has two or three other names also out there who aren't actual candidates.

I never take betting odds seriously as any sort of predictor.

• Pie 1

Is there any speculation who Mike Macdonald may bring along as OC if he lands a HC job? My concern with him is that he really only has ties to Greg Roman, and I'm not sure we would want that here.

Not that I want him back in Carolina as an OC, but maybe brining back Ken Dorsey as a QB coach/Passing game coordinator would help Bryce Young. He worked wonders for Cam and Josh Allen and Tepper thought high enough of him last cycle to give him a HC interview.

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Here is what I think will happen:

Mike Vrabel:  If (or I could probably say 'when') the Eagles lose, they will interview Vrabel and offer him the job.  Word on the street (and I run the streets, as many of you are aware) is that Vrabel wanted more control in Tennessee.  That alone will cause Tepper to look elsewhere. 

So what would be my choice?   Call me crazy (not literally--you are not qualified--my psychoanalyst is the only person who did that with validity), but I have a short list, and these rank in order of my preference at the time.

Dave Canales is my dark horse favorite.  He worked under Pete Carroll at USC and he followed him to Seattle.  At Seattle, he worked with a smallish QB with scrambling ability who became all pro (Russell Wilson) and he is credited for helping turn Geno Smith into a legit NFL starter.  Moving on to Tampa Bay, he took Baker Mayfield and turned him into a playoff QB who has found success there.  This guy has the midas touch, and if he can do that with QBs, he can do that with the 53 man roster.  He is a college WR, and the Panthers need growth in that area as well.  Russell Wilson faced adversity (size) and Carroll went after him and the Seahawks dominated for years.  Geno Smith?  Who saw that coming? Baker in Tampa was a joke, but they found a way to utilize his talents.  Could he save Bryce?  I doubt it, but I would not put it past him.  I think he'd start with the OL.

Dan Quinn, DC Dallas.  I would take Quinn.  He is a locker room guy and he went to a Super Bowl (28-3) with the dirty turds.  His record there was over .500.  You might say, "But he is a defensive coach and we are going offense in Carolina?"  We do not know what we want or need.  As a head coach, it helps to know how a defense might attack the offense and its players. He is liked and has HC experience and has played games as a head coach on the biggest stage.  He is a winner, and I would understand and rejoice if he is the hire.

Frank Smith, Dolphins OC.  If we go this route, it is because we are "all in" on Bryce Young.  It would also mean we will probably be drafting an "after the catch" speed demon at #33.  Do I like the hire?  If we are going with Bryce, yes.  Avero's defense and Smith's offense could be a winning combination.

Ejiro Evero, Panthers DC.  Evero has proven to be an effective DC on teams with the lowest scoring offense in the league in Denver and Carolina.  The Panthers turned down a request by the Jags to interview him, so that means they are keeping him.  To me, that suggests as the DC, not the head coach.  They had plenty of time to interview him (following the hiring of Frank R) and they have already Zoomed with him.  With Ryan's success in Houston, maybe they go copy cat and hire him, but I do not have a great feeling about him.  However, Evero was without Thompson (LB) and Horn (CB) most of this season and was still pretty dang respectable.  I think the play is to hope to retain him and bring in a good HC who will hire his choice for an OC.

Mike McDonald, Ravens DC.  Along the lines of the new age, analytical coach (see Mike McDaniel, Miami), McDonald is from the "House of Harbaugh" having served as DC at Michigan under Jim and then Baltimore under John.  He is 36.  Not my first choice, he has interviewed in LAC, Atlanta, Tennessee, Seattle, and maybe one other team (going from memory). 

Ben Johnson, OC in Detroit.  I don't want this turd.  Demanding $15m, turning us down (probably smart to do so).  Goff was pretty good when he got him, and he developed a good OL and they added a solid WR.  Nothing that special.  I give Campbell the credit in Detroit.

Love this summary. It makes me feel differently about Canalas. I’m curious, is Mike McDaniel calling plays in Miami, or is Frank Smith?

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, Steelo said:

At this point people only like mocking and laughing at our team so they make up scenarios that have a 0% chance of happening because I guess it makes them feel better or whatever. I have as good of a chance as Kellen Moore does of getting this job. If we strike out with all the candidates we’ve currently interviewed my guess is Evero is the fallback plan. Moore isn’t even sniffing an interview.

• Pie 2

41 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Idk how the interview process works fully but don’t you have to officially interview a candidate before hiring them. Like we interviewed Evero last season and interviewed him again. I just don’t think the bread crumbs line up. 

Just now, top dawg said:

FWIW, there are some on ESPN radio who believe that Siriani is in trouble if he doesn't beat the Bucs.

I've been hearing/reading this too.  I didn't think we'd make it to the annual 8 coaching vacancies this year after a slow Black Monday, but crap, we may have as many as 10 depending on the Cowboys and Eagles!

2 hours ago, NYPantherFan said:

Is there any speculation who Mike Macdonald may bring along as OC if he lands a HC job? My concern with him is that he really only has ties to Greg Roman, and I'm not sure we would want that here.

Honestly Greg Roman would be far and away our best OC in years.  He has his flaws but I'd actually be happy to have him here as an OC.  At least to help us reset and get us to being somewhat competitive on offense.

2 hours ago, NYPantherFan said:

Not that I want him back in Carolina as an OC, but maybe brining back Ken Dorsey as a QB coach/Passing game coordinator would help Bryce Young. He worked wonders for Cam and Josh Allen and Tepper thought high enough of him last cycle to give him a HC interview.

Dorsey in that capacity would be good. Nothing more than that, though.