• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Definitely Chose the Wrong QB

Calboyz13

Boomer Esiason slams Carolina Panthers for Bryce Young pick

The latest player to question Carolina's choice was former NFL MVP Boomer Esiason, who pointed to Young's lack of pocket presence compared to Stroud as a primary reason why he felt the Panthers made a grave error in judgment based on comments via Yardbarker.

"When you see C.J. Stroud on the field — and this still drives me crazy about Carolina, I don't know what the hell they were looking at physically — but Stroud looks like he belongs. When you watch Bryce Young play in Carolina, this kid looks like he should still be in high school, or playing behind the best offensive line in college at Alabama because he is not physically ready to play in the NFL."

• Pie 8

4 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

The latest player to question Carolina's choice was former NFL MVP Boomer Esiason, who pointed to Young's lack of pocket presence compared to Stroud as a primary reason why he felt the Panthers made a grave error in judgment based on comments via Yardbarker.

"When you see C.J. Stroud on the field — and this still drives me crazy about Carolina, I don't know what the hell they were looking at physically — but Stroud looks like he belongs. When you watch Bryce Young play in Carolina, this kid looks like he should still be in high school, or playing behind the best offensive line in college at Alabama because he is not physically ready to play in the NFL."

Sad Arrested Development GIF

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

But he can throw with his shoulders pointed forward. 

That's about all I remember hearing about why Young should be the choice. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, csx said:

But he can throw with his shoulders pointed forward. 

That's about all I remember hearing about why Young should be the choice. 

I remember there was more to that. People were hyping his S2 score, his super processing ability, his "elastic" arm, and his ability to make throws off platform, etc. 

The only thing that turned out to be true was his S2 score. Unfortunately, they don't play S2 in the NFL. 

4 minutes ago, GhostOfDocAnderson said:

I remember there was more to that. People were hyping his S2 score, his super processing ability, his "elastic" arm, and his ability to make throws off platform, etc. 

The only thing that turned out to be true was his S2 score. Unfortunately, they don't play S2 in the NFL. 

This did takeoff with the fanbase.

But the "analysts" harped on "when the play breaks down" a lot. Analysts being Twitter accounts. A platform where being knowledgeable means nothing.

• Pie 1

The bigger picture here is that the Texans and Panthers both sucked at the same time............and now the Texans don't but the Panthers suck even worse..........

Which really begs the question......

......how in the hell did the Panthers ever beat the Texans this year?............and more profoundly how in the hell did Young outplayed Stroud in that game? 

Somethings just don't add up............

Analysts who work for the big networks are terrified of pissing off alabama. They hyped Bryce for the same reason they hyped hurts and Mac jones. Saban has a lot of sway over the networks, especially cbs, and he used his players getting drafted as a recruiting tool. No one crosses Alabama players, especially not qbs. You see this even now with the way tv personalities handle Bryce. They’re playing to an audience that doesn’t follow the panthers but is following Bryce. A bama qb going number one overall and being successful is basically the holy grail for college-nfl integration. Whelp; they got half of that. 

second is the panthers made it obvious early who they weee picking and the twitter sphere likes to be right. When people say “he was the consensus number 1” of course he was: tepper said he was going to draft him. Plus, people don’t want to deal with pissed off bama fans. Even the videos pointing out his flaws couched all of that with “but it’s never been a problem!” Look on this board: if Bryce was some third rounder from like Maryland no one would be defending. Hell, Clausen was a second rounder from notre dame and people were ready to murder. But just something about Alabama….

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, PghPanther said:

The bigger picture here is that the Texans and Panthers both sucked at the same time............and now the Texans don't but the Panthers suck even worse..........

......how in the hell did the Panthers ever beat the Texans this year?............and more profoundly how in the hell did Young outplayed Stroud in that game? 

Fluke games happen where a team just doesn’t show up and has bad days.  We could play the Packers 5 times.  They are winning 4 out of those 5.  We got lucky.  

Texans just had an off day.  Happens in sports.  The collective season tells us that.  It’s why it so hard to go winless.  Eventually you will see a team that just gives you one.  It in our case, 2. 

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Analysts who work for the big networks are terrified of pissing off alabama. They hyped Bryce for the same reason they hyped hurts and Mac jones. Saban has a lot of sway over the networks, especially cbs, and he used his players getting drafted as a recruiting tool. No one crosses Alabama players, especially not qbs. You see this even now with the way tv personalities handle Bryce. They’re playing to an audience that doesn’t follow the panthers but is following Bryce. A bama qb going number one overall and being successful is basically the holy grail for college-nfl integration. Whelp; they got half of that. 

second is the panthers made it obvious early who they weee picking and the twitter sphere likes to be right. When people say “he was the consensus number 1” of course he was: tepper said he was going to draft him. Plus, people don’t want to deal with pissed off bama fans. Even the videos pointing out his flaws couched all of that with “but it’s never been a problem!” Look on this board: if Bryce was some third rounder from like Maryland no one would be defending. Hell, Clausen was a second rounder from notre dame and people were ready to murder. But just something about Alabama….

It was weird to me, instant Love and Devotion and First Name Only status, he had not even put on the uniform and was treated as practically sacred by people here. Dare to ask a question that the answer isn’t likely what they want to hear, much less outright criticize, and you are insulted and mocked. A lot of people just lost their minds over it.

1 hour ago, PghPanther said:

Our D balled out that game. If we switched QBs we would have beaten them even worse.

• Pie 1

I was as big a Bryce Young supporter pre-draft as there was on this board. But yeah, it's clear at this point we should have taken C.J. Stroud.

That said, I'm not as doom and gloom on Bryce as some here either. I do think he can eventually be a franchise QB for us, but at this point I don't see how he'll ever be as good as Stroud. All we can do now is find the best coaching staff possible and try to surround him with as much talent as possible and hope it comes together.

And if it doesn't work out then it's back to the draft board. Such is life in the NFL.