• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Randy Mueller ranks the GM openings

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, strato said:

I don’t see any angle that makes us better than last. 

The one positive IMO is that you aren't tied down to anyone long-term (even Bryce with it being a rookie contract wouldn't be crippling to move on from if he shows no development).  If you are confident in yourself as a GM, you can mold this team to your liking as opposed to going to a team with less flexibility.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

GM hires shouldn't be expecting to come in to good situations. Like in the business world executives are typically brought in to fix disasters and clean up messes. That's why they make big money to move to shitty places.

IF Tepper can sound genuine in saying he won't meddle then no GM worth a poo should shy away from a challenge.

I can see why coaches would think differently. We are screwed on that front and will be interesting to see that play out 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Johnstonny said:

Yea...Chargers are 45m over the cap with another 25m in dead money...they are playing their top 6 salaries 180m... what kind of talent are they going to be able to sign... they have a QB and a high first round pick....only plus they have but a lot more than we have.

Doesn't help that they are an afterthought in their hometown.  

9 hours ago, Evil Hurney said:

The in-vogue thing is to sh!t on the Panthers for some easy laughs so obviously at the bottom.

The GM search is a whole different animal than the HC search. The idea that Tepper is firing GMs left and right is laughable. Fitterer was literally the first GM he hired, and he gave him 3 years and 2 coaches; he even waited until the end of the season to quietly let him go.

Perception is reality. The last GM ruined the franchise and got to watch his boss throw a drink onto some guy’s head on the way out. Yeah that’s not a job I’d want if I had literally any other choice (including staying in my current job and waiting for something to else to come along).

9 hours ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Can anyone photoshop Tepper to Ted Dibiase ‘The Million Dollar Man?’ Everybody’s got a price!

It has to feel like selling your soul to work for the man. 

Don't do Ted like that - he was great at what he did. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Bingo, so much of a clean slate with #2 pick, money, and new (granted unknown) ownership.

Spanos is a cheap dude and the Chargers are in cap HELL with aging roster so you have a lot more work cut out than you think 

I’d say

Wash, NE, LV, LA, and Us is my order in appealing-ness 

The Chargers have a franchise QB. Nobody else on the list does - that's the top job (unless you're super confident in Washington that Williams / Maye is just as good). 

6 hours ago, OldhamA said:

The Chargers have a franchise QB. Nobody else on the list does - that's the top job (unless you're super confident in Washington that Williams / Maye is just as good). 

Having a franchise QB on the 2nd contract isn’t a good thing when you’re over the cap. Means you have to cut other places.

On 1/16/2024 at 8:11 PM, Mage said:

The one positive IMO is that you aren't tied down to anyone long-term (even Bryce with it being a rookie contract wouldn't be crippling to move on from if he shows no development).  If you are confident in yourself as a GM, you can mold this team to your liking as opposed to going to a team with less flexibility.

This is my thought exactly. This is a really easy job to make yourself look good.