• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeff Howe swaps Young and Stroud

Mr. Scot

47 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Remember how Stroud looked in the preseason? That would be the CJ Stroud the Panthers would have had had we drafted him. There's no way he reaches his potential here the way he did in Houston.

Remember in the preseason when Icky looked like a speed bump and Bryce looked like a JV QB playing against the varsity squad and I said this was hugely concerning and y'all laughed and said all serious fans know preseason doesn't matter and how much better we'd look when we started game planning? I remember.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, scpanther22 said:

at this point I think his size is an overblown issue. it he continues to fail it will just be because he sucks not because he happens to be 5-10 and sucks 

After seeing what Young has displayed, i think size is under-blown. At the very least, I will likely never support trading up for an undersized signal caller in the first or second round.

• Beer 1

30 minutes ago, top dawg said:

After seeing what Young has displayed, i think size is under-blown. At the very least, I will likely never support trading up for an undersized signal caller in the first or second round.

It's not just the size issue. It's the size plus the subpar arm plus mechanical issues. Bryce could be 6'3" and he'd still suck.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Remember in the preseason when Icky looked like a speed bump and Bryce looked like a JV QB playing against the varsity squad and I said this was hugely concerning and y'all laughed and said all serious fans know preseason doesn't matter and how much better we'd look when we started game planning? I remember.

It was a catastrophic failure on all fronts starting with Tepper. How do we have all this knowledge and experience to pull from with this staff and wind up 2-15? It really is mind boggling and of course after you go back and dissect every move we've made it's easy to see how we got here. I keep saying how didn't we know any better with this staff that we had in place? And then it dawns on me that even if someone had every correct answer imaginable Tepper is still going to do what Tepper wants to do period. It's been a terrible fuging year to be a Panthers fan and the future doesn't look very bright albeit some miracle Bryce develops with the next HC but even I know that is a stretch. 

• Beer 1

Two things are almost certainly true:

1) The Texans did a better job last offseason preparing for a rookie QB and improving their team. 
2) Stroud is a much better QB than Young (and always was.)

If we had taken the right QB, we’d have probably gotten 6-9 wins this year and best case scenario squeaked into the playoffs instead of the Bucs and had the honor of bouncing the Eagles out before getting mashed by the Lions while the Texans would have gotten 4-7 wins and people would be saying they need a new line because of Young stepping into pressure, holding the ball too long and lacking any kind of pocket awareness.  Nico Collins would still be a breakout candidate l, if only they would throw him the ball. 

Just because you have a job as a GM or NFL personnel guy doesn't mean you're good at it.  No surprise that there are plenty of geniuses in retrospect. 

Definitely a mistake,  but one that 80%+ of these dudes would have made.

• Pie 1

No rookie QB would have looked good on our team this year. And I don't just mean the 2023 rookie class. No rookie QB who ever suited up in the NFL's history could have looked good behind that line, with those receivers, that listless run game, poor play calling, ineffectual coaching and the weight of an entire franchise sitting on their shoulders. 

Honestly, I don't think peak Tom Brady or Joe Montana could have made anything out of our team had you set them down into what we managed to "create" here.

Will Bryce ever be able to do the job here? Hell if I know. No one can know and no one can even have an educated guess after what we've seen. All we can hope for is that the next coach and GM can sort through this mess, pick out something to build on and roll with it. 

It's not like we can go in the first round and have our picks of QBs again...

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, demcj said:

a semblance of success?

andy dalton did it with no running game.

Dalton had nearly 60 attempts and before that last drive had 260 yards and one TD (most that came on a broken play)  and we were losing by 17 points.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, jimfear said:

Bottom line - as @Waldo and others have pointed out is that the trade should have never been made. The fact that there were questions about each of the top prospects combined with multiple acknowledgements that the trade was made before the Panthers knew who they'd pick just reeks of incompetence. You only pay that kind of price if you have conviction that your guy is there.

I don't think that was ever an option.

Tepper wanted it to go down this year. It was just a matter of but it would take to make that happen.

If I had to guess I’d say Young would have looked better with Houston but not as good as Stroud and Stroud would have looked worse here but not as bad as Young. There is a good chance Stroud or whoever you put behind our line would end up on IR. I’m not sure how Young didn’t.