• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young was sacked 62 times

Shocker

Regardless of how you feel about Bryce as a player, this should be a lesson to not predict injuries based off someone's size.  A player who can hold up in the SEC isn't suddenly going to break in half in the NFL.  Being "injury prone" really just comes down to genetics and bad luck, not size, especially for athletes who are all in great shape.

I'm not saying this to defend Bryce's play, he sucked.  I just feel like that was a narrative held against him and for no reason.  That he wouldn't hold up taking hits.  In the future if a player doesn't have a history of injuries, we shouldn't assume he'll suddenly start getting hurt.

• Pie 8

2 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

He was supposed to be able to overcome that, along with WRs who couldn’t get open, and a scheme that sucked. 

Hey, maybe if he could throw the ball accurately beyond 10 yards he might have done. 

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

It's his fault for eating so many sacks. He sucks at reading defenses and making pre snap adjustments. He can't even do a simple drop back, and his footwork is literally middle school level poo. He also holds onto the ball for too long, and he lacks pocket awareness. He needs to learn to throw away the ball instead of taking sacks. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 3

Durability was my concern with him, but he’s a tough dude, glad to see he survived. Someone on here I believe said he had the 14th longest time to throw the ball, I don’t know how factual that is, I’m surprised it was that long. The way the line appeared this year, I thought for sure we would have been in the bottom 5.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Durability was my concern with him, but he’s a tough dude, glad to see he survived. Someone on here I believe said he had the 14th longest time to throw the ball, I don’t know how factual that is, I’m surprised it was that long. The way the line appeared this year, I thought for sure we would have been in the bottom 5.

Tied for 6th best in the league, with 2.5 seconds of pocket time. Make of that what you will.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/passing_advanced.htm

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#yards

I mentioned it at one point recently, saw it mentioned on twitter or something. I couldn’t get the list to sort by “TT” when I pulled it up myself, but when I followed the link the first time I saw it it was sorted that way. 14th longest time to throw at 2.9s. I wasn’t surprised, watching the games most of his sacks came after he had 5+ seconds. It was actually rare for defenders to just blow through the line and get to him quickly, they mostly came from him being oblivious to edge defenders eventually working their way to him because he couldn’t read the field or make a decision.

The OL wasn’t good, but nowhere near as bad as a lot want to make out because they just see Bryce on the ground again and mentally log it as another fail by the OL rather than analyze the situation enough to realize it was actually on Bryce. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Different stat than mine but helps paint a fuller picture. 6th best pocket time is actually pretty impressive by the OL. 

If that is the time to throw then long times are generally bad. The greats have the shortest time to throw because they make quick decisions. Long times generally mean lots of sacks. 

• Pie 3