• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So What Are We Doing About the Offensive Line During This Offseason?

Hoenheim

6 hours ago, csx said:

Hopefully we don't tie our offensive future to the personelof the past.

You want to land a new offensive mind then have him  play Fox ball?

Remember last year and the qb being sacked a lot and the oline looking terrible? 

Every single player on the oline and most of the depth is power run, play action type of line. 

If you wanted to switch from that, you'd have to replace nearly everyone currently on roster playing oline. 

The other option is letting Young get destroyed again for another season. 

:shrugs: it's depressing.  Lol

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Remember last year and the qb being sacked a lot and the oline looking terrible? 

Every single player on the oline and most of the depth is power run, play action type of line. 

If you wanted to switch from that, you'd have to replace nearly everyone currently on roster playing oline. 

The other option is letting Young get destroyed again for another season. 

:shrugs: 

People want new innovative offense but don't have any patience to do it.

Do you really want to be stuck with power run forever? 

16 minutes ago, scpanther22 said:

What QB do you think would play well behind that line?

CJ Stroud?

One that is tall enough to see over the iOL, has the arm to make every NFL throw and has the footwork to navigate the pocket. 

2 hours ago, csx said:

People want new innovative offense but don't have any patience to do it.

Do you really want to be stuck with power run forever? 

Not what I meant, was saying that unless the oline is replaced there isn't a point to playing BY unless you're running power run with play action.  He's going to get hit and beat up again for a second straight season otherwise.  

I think drafting someone like Jordan Morgan (OT Arizona) is not off the table, I would try to sign a guard in FA, and I think our third or fourth round pick should be a center. 

I *know* we desperately need help at WR and edge opposite burns but it doesn't matter what we do unless we fix this line first. 

Ickey not taking a step forward really really fuging sucks 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

CJ Stroud?

One that is tall enough to see over the iOL, has the arm to make every NFL throw and has the footwork to navigate the pocket. 

and do you think his line at Alabama was massively shorter than the one hes behind now and the football he was throwing there was much smaller?

Not defending his play...but some of the physical detractions are overblown imo. Yes its a different game in the NFL but Youngs problem is execution not lack of ability to execute 

10 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean I would personally probably hire a GM and head coach. Seems like a good start.

Yep. Just like the Tepper haters, everyone will be happy once we actually have a GM/scouting who can draft well and a coach who can build a solid offense. They can figure out who’s worth saving and who can work in the scheme you want to run.

It’s going to take time and honestly, I have 0 faith in Young so be patient and don’t try to keep patching like we have been. Every draft should have 2+ OL/DL. I don’t know if this 100% correct but it sure seems like there are a lot more late round OL that are successful. I hope our new GM/scouts don’t ignore OL like Fitterer and Hurney did from 2018-2023.

17 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Yep. Just like the Tepper haters, everyone will be happy once we actually have a GM/scouting who can draft well and a coach who can build a solid offense. They can figure out who’s worth saving and who can work in the scheme you want to run.

It’s going to take time and honestly, I have 0 faith in Young so be patient and don’t try to keep patching like we have been. Every draft should have 2+ OL/DL. I don’t know if this 100% correct but it sure seems like there are a lot more late round OL that are successful. I hope our new GM/scouts don’t ignore OL like Fitterer and Hurney did from 2018-2023.

Well, ultimately Tepper is the real GM. If he ever steps away from such an active role, there is some possible chance we could get a good GM or HC. I don't see that possibility for at least another 5 years. 

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Use an offensive scheme that matches their skill set 

It doesn't make sense that our line was pretty decent in 2022 and a new regime comes in and all of a sudden we are the worst line in the league.  Many have posted that the scheme is the culprit and not necessarily the players.  

I've never been much of a fan of zone blocking or whatever they call it these days, but we need to get back to utilizing the talent of the linemen which is more straight up blocking.