• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, KBRed said:

Tilis and Canales announcement today…?

Maybe to Tillis.  My guess is no to Canales (for now).  I expect the Panthers to wait until they can interview everyone else.  

Edited by Mage

9 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Especially considering TB offense was in the bottom third of dvoa in the league which is what i judge coaches on.

Personally feels to me a bit misleading without context given they finished closer to middle of the pack (20) than towards the bottom. For example, folks seem to be all-in on the Slowik train and the Texans finished 14th.  

I'm hoping for Ben Johnson btw, but I don't think Canales (or Raheem Morris) are bad options.

12 minutes ago, Mage said:

Maybe to Tillis.  My guess is no to Canales (for now).  I expect the Panthers to wait until they can interview everyone else.  

I think it's actually more likely for a HC to be announced first given Panthers need to interview one external minority or female candidate for a newly created senior executive role before they can hire Tilis. Haven't seen any mention of an interview there. After the Canales and Morris interviews, Panthers are free and clear to hire whoever they want as HC. 

I'd like to wait to for in-person second interviews with Ben Johnson and Monken/Macdonald as well, but wouldn't be surprised if Johnson at least has tacitly communicated via his agent that he isn't interested in moving forward with the Panthers (all speculation on my part).

Edited by UNCrules2187

28 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I think if we are hiring Canales, we're hiring him for the culture more than anything.

By all accounts he seems to be a great communicator/motivator and that's something our last two coaches were not good at. Rhule was a charlatan and the players could see through his BS. Reich was a doormat. Canales seems to be cut from the same cloth as Pete Carroll in terms of communication, so that's probably what's enticing about him.

agreed with this, and this might be enough. he's a good enough and progressive offensive mind that he can keep us ahead of the curve, but he also has, form what it seems, a simpler/QB friendly system for struggling QBs and in that we would benefit. i like the philosophy he has of building a system around what the players you have exceed at and feel good doing, stuff that's in their wheelhouse. 

combine that with his motivational and communicative style of leadership and we could have someone really good to help build a more competitive culture. if he doesn't get this HC this year, he's going to get one in the very near future and it won't be due to being one of the top OCs in the league, but because of what he brings as a leader in the teams he's worked with.

• Pie 2

It can’t help the Buccaneers’ cause that new Panthers general manager Dan Morgan spent eight seasons in the Seahawks front office and knows Canales extremely well. Joe has heard stories of Canales’ stellar work ethic in Seattle.

(Ira Kaufman Podcast listeners know about Canales driving a 1970s-era Chevy truck to work there regularly. Everyone in Seattle was aware of his dedication.)

So Joe wonders how close Canales is to waving good-bye. Joe also wonders if Buccaneers Ring of Honor head coach Tony Dungy, aka Father Dungy, is helping his good friend advance his career.

Canales said in the spring that he has been turning to Dungy with “big-picture” questions for years. And Todd Bowles acknowledged that Dungy recommended Canales to Bowles for the Bucs gig.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2024/01/is-tony-dungy-selling-dave-canales-to-carolina/

edit: Bucs fans in the comments are hoping the Glazers dump Bowles and promote Canales to HC rather than see him go to Carolina

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 2

5 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

The benefit to hiring a Canales is you can likely keep Evero as DC assuming he doesn't land a HC position. Saw earlier he was mentioned as a DC candidate for the Packers as he has a connection to Matt Lafleur. 

We can block a lateral move so I agree that if we hire Canales, Evero will stay on as DC.

13 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Personally feels to me a bit misleading without context given they finished closer to middle of the pack (20) than towards the bottom. For example, folks seem to be all-in on the Slowik train and the Texans finished 14th.  

I'm hoping for Ben Johnson btw, but I don't think Canales (or Raheem Morris) are bad options.

To be fair 20 is the bottom third of the league, just the top of the bottom third.  Im not 100% sold on Slowik either but to be fair 14th creating an offense around a rookie qb seems more impressive to me personally than 20th with a journeyman qb whos putting up pretty good stats.

Just now, Tr3ach said:

To be fair 20 is the bottom third of the league, just the top of the bottom third.  Im not 100% sold on Slowik either but to be fair 14th creating an offense around a rookie qb seems more impressive to me personally than 20th with a journeyman qb whos putting up pretty good stats.

I agree, just saying I don't know if 6 spot difference should be that much of a knock on Canales. And with rookie phenom QBs, it's hard to tell how much is the coordinator vs the QB himself (a la Cam, Luck, Mahomes, Burrow, etc). The difference between 14 and 20 was only 4.6% whereas the difference between 14 and 12 was 5.2% alone so they were closer performance wise than the raw rankings might suggest.  

• Pie 1