• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Quandary: 2024 Draft, FA Stopgap, or Stand Pat?

rayzor

best course of action at QB in 2024  

86 members have voted

1. 1. best course of action at QB in 2024

• 2024 draft pick
    • FA stop gap to get us through to 2025
    • Stand Pat with who we've got

55 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I think with all the tape the NFL has on Young, he is headed for a sophomore slump.  

If he has a sophomore slump, the only reason he will be playing is because of Tepper not wanting to admit a mistake, aka being a meddling owner, or we are tanking for the 25' 1st overall. If he's playing worse than he did this year and still starting, there's going to be a lot of money to be made betting against the Panthers.

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

If he has a sophomore slump, the only reason he will be playing is because of Tepper not wanting to admit a mistake, aka being a meddling owner, or we are tanking for the 25' 1st overall. If he's playing worse than he did this year and still starting, there's going to be a lot of money to be made betting against the Panthers.

If he looks worse or no better next year you have to either pull him pretty quick and go to a vet and try to salvage the season or just ride his ass all the way to the highest pick you can get like we did with Clausen.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not even the numbers for me. It's the eye test. If his numbers were bad but he showed elite talent I'd be willing to have more patience, but he just hasn't shown NFL talent.

I tend to agree with you, it doesn't look good for him turning it around but what are our options?

Spend another draft pick on a QB?  Sure, if we had our first.  Waste a 2nd on a long shot?  Sign a vet?

Honestly, I would hate to drop either into our offense.  Our previous front office has done a pretty good job of stripping our offense of talent.  Bryce is already paid for, spend the draft picks and some of the cap space into improving the talent on offense and then add the QB the following year.

You spend $6m to sign a vet QB that helps you win an extra 3 games?  That $6m can help you sign a guard that will help Bryce and whoever is playing QB in 2025.

5 hours ago, frankw said:

We've been flailing around making moves for QB's going on 4 years now and each time we've been worse off for it.

Leave it alone and reassess in 2025 and if you need to draft one then go for it. Odds are 95% we will have a top ten pick.

Exactly. We should have let Grier try to get us the top pick (or pick 3 to get SF’s 3 firsts) in 2021 and we should have let Corral/bad Mayfield get us a top 3 pick in 2023 so we didn’t have to sell the farm for Young and maybe get lucky that we had to take Stroud.

We’ve done the FA QB thing for years and got nowhere. Let Young get us a top pick in 2025. Like he did in 2024 only for us to trade it away because we didn’t have the picks from Burns to use.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

To continue throwing QBs at this roster as a quick fix is insanity. Build a competent offense and reevaluate Young. Honestly I think Sanders might be the guy in the 25 class if it comes to that. 

It's insanity to run a guy out there that isn't an NFL calibre player at the most important position in professional sports.

The NFL thinks Andy Dalton is washed - he looked LIGHT YEARS better than Young in his one start. 

Young has had 16 games. To quote an amazing film: he has been weighed, he has been measured and he has been found wanting. 

I'm genuinely baffled that anyone wants to see anymore of him - albeit I was also genuinely baffled that we traded up and selected him. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

This is the most logical answer. Spend our resources on trying to create some sort of an offense. Then we can reevaluate Young and decide from there. 

But they HAVE spent their resources on trying to create some sort of offence.

FA signings in Hurst, Sanders, Thielen, Chark and a second round pick on Mingo. They were not bad players when we acquired them. 

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not even the numbers for me. It's the eye test. If his numbers were bad but he showed elite talent I'd be willing to have more patience but he just hasn't shown NFL talent.

It's both.

The eye test said don't draft him (small, noodle arm, stacked roster at Alabama). The measurables said don't draft him (5'10", 185lbs). 

We now have empirical evidence in hard and fast numbers that he isn't an NFL player - yet still they call for him to start next season. It's maddening. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

just ride his ass all the way to the highest pick you can get like we did with Clausen.

This is the correct answer. The Panthers need all the cheap young talent they can get even if they don't pick another QB in the round 1 of the 2025 draft

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Unless they do something to replace him before the season, they’re going to ride with him all season long unless he gets injured. Gotta get every bit of evaluation in for the following year before pulling the plug on a guy that cost us two #1 overalls, two second rounders and a good WR. The side benefit will be tanking. Doesn’t have to have anything at all to do with Tepper. 

• Flames 1

31 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

It's both.

The eye test said don't draft him (small, noodle arm, stacked roster at Alabama). The measurables said don't draft him (5'10", 185lbs). 

We now have empirical evidence in hard and fast numbers that he isn't an NFL player - yet still they call for him to start next season. It's maddening. 

When I say "numbers" I'm just talking about the macro numbers. That's not a huge concern for me with a rookie or first year starter. But then you dig into the specifics and see that he's at or near the bottom of the league in practically every QB metric and... oh wee mayne.